It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memorizing large portions of the New Testament.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Has anyone memorized large quantities of verses from the New Testament? If so how long did it take you? What translation did you memorize?

I have a few verses from the NIV memorized and one of them got changed a little in the NIV 2011 that I looked at online : | so that's kind of annoying.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I wondered the same thing after watching the movie Book of Eli.
Millions of Muslims have successfully memorized the Qur'an in it's full and complete entirety word for word, but I have never heard of a single soul to do so with the Bible or New Testament. Well, I know of an autistic savant that did it.
In my Christian days I only got around to memorizing my favorite verses.
In my Muslims days I memorized 6 complete chapters of the Qur'an.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I have Al-Fatiha, Al-Falaq, and Quraysh memorized in Arabic, no English translation memorized.
I have 3 Bible verses memorized, 5 Dhammapada verses memorized, 1 Bhagavad Gita verse memorized. Um I think that's it lol.

The Quran and New Testament are about the same length so the NT could be fully memorized. Actually even longer works can be memorized. The Mahabharta is a 18 volume work that was passed down orally before being written down. The human mind can achieve great feats once trained.

edit on 10-1-2011 by TinFoilHatMan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have tried to remember not all, but large parts of the NT but always came to the same end.

The Wisdom of these passages would be the only thing that would remain with me.

So I concluded this was its purpose.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I must admit though... The Qur'an is much easier to memorize because it is comprised of a poetic and rhythmic structure. It is way easier to memorize a song word for word rather than any written account of events.

reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

That is the most important thing in religion, in my opinion. What's the good in uttering words verbatim if one has not captured the wisdom therein?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I found memorising the Qur'an chapters hard since I don't know any Arabic. Just had to do it by rote. Then you get familiar enough with it so you recognise if you missed reciting a part of it.

new topics

top topics

join