Originally posted by Alethea
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon
So what are the scenarios if the limit is not raised? What happens when "insolvency" is declared? How will this affect the nation in general, and
the people individually? What is worst case? What is best case?
Does it simply mean imports are cut off? The welfare checks dry up? What should we expect?
Can "insolvency" be a good thing as a catalyst to bring about something more stable in the future?
What does it all mean to the common man?
If the deb ceiling is not raised, it would be good news for the next generations. They may not or will have lesser debts to pay for borrowings to fund
Thing is, if there is no money comming in today, do you think there would be even a future at all????
But there are ways to get round the issue of money comming in.
1. Trim the military budget even further and recall all bases. Make do with improvisations and cannibalise parts of existing equipment till the
2. Close down DHS and TSA as they had proven themselves utter failures at stopping terrorism, and with the fundings saved, increase the budgets for
FBI and state security agencies to do a better job.
3. Raise the taxes of american corporations and american overseas. This is a time of national pain and solidarity, if they fail to respect that, then
they are not americans but self centred individuals.
4. Every american will have to pitch in, including those on social welfare and subsidized education. Let those who really need it take it, but those
who can work, go get a job. The pain will be temporary as once the economy grows, a better life can be had for all.
5. Every legislator will have to work harder to convince every american to pitch. It is their job through grassroots network to reach out to their
constituents. And they must never forget the sacrifice made by every american at its darkest moment, and fight to ensure the sacred Constitution is
protected from tyranny. Any other issue will have to put aside, not forgotten, but to lead the people to greater heights today. These are only some
examples and I am sure there will be better ones by those who are of far more higher intellect than the insignificant me.
A national will and shared direction towards goals is necessary to overcome the difficulties of today, but it needs a leadership based on integrity
and honour, to put aside differences and prejudices in the fight for a nation's survival in the gloomiest dawn that ever came upon America. It begins
at the grassroots, - you and me