It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Beware of Jared Loughner discussions! You're being drawn into a media trap!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'll just leave it at this.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at an early age, And I agree with SkinRipper that both the media and Hollywood profit quite often from portraying those with mental disorders as the some of the most dangerous human beings on the planet. I am on medications and my condition is manageable. I myself believe any human being who feels as if he or she has nothing to lose is in-fact the most dangerous out of any of us. Unfortunately it turned out to be jared loughner who felt as if he had nothing to lose. I do not condone violence in any way whatsoever, this coming from someone who as a child settled disagreements by hitting someone or breaking something. I just hope that unstable people such as jared loughner do not ruin things for the rest of us with mental disorders.
edit on 1/11/2011 by SamusAran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
None of you seem to get it.. If you want to think this is a big set up to take down ATS i really feel sorry for you and you yourself are the danger to ATS. Because you are one of those people so far from reality that we all look bad.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
Message to the MSM:

I understand you are intimidated into being the mouthpiece of your handlers, but when, oh when are you going to wake up and start doing your proper job of reporting the truth? Even now you are fuelling the rage between Left and Right when you know very well the whole concept of two parties is an utter fiction, and the present debate has as its purpoe to stir up division and hatred. To lie, and even to stay silent about the truth, makes you too complicit in the bloodshed. The country is in dire need of brave, honest reporters who act in the interest of the citizens instead of the mafia in charge. Together we are strong.

edit on 10-1-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

First to wcitizen: Their job was to report news. News can be lies you know. They can argue that they were to report the news, not the truth. Besides, the truth doesn't sell as much illuminati garbage as NEWS.
May I add to this:
- Divided, its just a matter of time before they get you after you help them get me. Reporters aren't rich and only the rich get saved by TPTB.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

At the end of the day, I think the only significance of having Loughner as a member here is a passing interest for media and law enforcement investigators trying to find what makes this guy tick, based on his ramblings. In no way does it really involve or reflect on ATS as a site. If I interpret the OP correctly, the only potential problem is the members making this into a story that simply isn't there.
edit on 11-1-2011 by empireoflizards because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShogunAssassins
None of you seem to get it.. If you want to think this is a big set up to take down ATS i really feel sorry for you and you yourself are the danger to ATS. Because you are one of those people so far from reality that we all look bad.

No you are making us look bad.
There were other incidents on ATS and ATS members were incorrectly quoted in a manual that labeled anyone going against government official stories as terrorist. PETA and some church group was on that list.
I can't find it right now, but I will and get back to you tomorrow unless someone can find it on ATS tonight. Sorry but life calls!
And to you ShogunAssassins, just leave the site. No one wants you to stay where you feel you are being labeled. A real shogun wouldn't give in to their opponents like this.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You're putting way too much self-importance in this. Between blaming either of the two political parties, gun control laws, mental disorders, and diagnosing disorders, ATS is no where near getting the blame. I can't help but think that some people on the boards want ATS to be persecuted. Between those people and the people who think there's some cryptic message in Loughners rants or that he was actually being controlled I just don't understand. Don't think I want too...Fun to read though!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by empireoflizards

At the end of the day, I think the only significance of having Loughner as a member here is a passing interest for media and law enforcement investigators trying to find what makes this guy tick, based on his ramblings. In no way does it really involve or reflect on ATS as a site. If I interpret the OP correctly, the only potential problem is the members making this into a story that simply isn't there.
edit on 11-1-2011 by empireoflizards because: (no reason given)

Exactly what I said a page back. ATS members here are over sensationalizing. Paranoid and self indulgent. Making something out of nothing

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If the Loughner issue is going to be such a negative thread that endangers sites such as ATS, then those who allow it to continue are as guilty as those who would rather see ATS gone. However, I'm sure it's the mindset of ATS keepers that the more attention the site gets, the more revenue that's generated.

If ATS becomes affiliated with the concept of "Domestic Terrorism", then one could most assuredly kiss this site goodbye. It will never matter that Loughner chose is own destiny, nor will it matter if ATS were to distance itself from the issue. . .the media will have it's day with ATS because "they" too, must generate revenue.

There would be nothing wrong with the keepers of ATS to generate a statement that says something to the effect of "We in no way condone or support any action by a member of our site that negatively affects or endangers the life on anyone. The content of our site is speculative, much the same as other forms of media such as books, television or the cinema."

What the media needs to realize is that a true ATSer is not one who screams "the sky is falling" without conclusive proof. We must also remember that the media counts on the ignorance of the populace to sell its "news".
edit on 11-1-2011 by Divine Strake because: the aliens at Area 51 sent me a text saying I needed to edit this post.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I thought that thread looked baited.
Plus it did seem like he was going in all directions trying to make everyone mad. First he tried to sound like someone w/ a beef against America. Then he did the standard baiting - you are an idiot/stupid/lazy yada. Then after the I'm American quip, when he got too many people with too many good answers he sticks foot in mouth so his thread is closed.
Sounds like someone w/an agenda to me.
I got to that thread On ATS too late to comment, but I wish I could have so I could have said that he was trolling and or baiting.
Its not the first time and it won't be the last so rexusdiablos, if you want to be misquoted by the MSM because you just don't believe they do such things, be my guest. You seem to be well on your way.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Loughner?,I suppose one could pronounce this the same as "loner",eh?.

Mmmhmm,MMhmm.

Ok.

Rose Loner.

I just look at the truth that is always left in plain sight for those who see,to see.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

We just said the same thing.
Thanks for your post, expounding on the thought.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't get it - and ATS isn't a media trap for some already with aliens and all sorts of conspiracy theories. At least the ones who say they are whacko you know who they are. It's the silent ones you worry about. Sorry... gotta go there's somone at the door and it might be another alien.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I believe the enitre thing is a rigged ordeal that involved black op m'kultra agent, so basically an inside job, and murder at that by murder incorporated the bloodlines, and that this was all done on purpose. I've read the skinripper and that pretty much clinched things, I know what I thought from his introduction and the wording he used.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Its not a media trap, its a trial balloon.

And I say to hell with the government, they don't represent me or the common man.

And people who are afraid to voice their opinions, are nothing but mindless sheep.

You will never take away our guns OR our freedom.

This recent shooting was committed by a madman, of this I am certain.

But this event, as abhorrent as it is, has shaken the political establishment to its core.

I do not condone this act of random violence, but only muse that the government run amok, is now fearful of a disenfranchised populace. And that's the way it should be.

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

When the government fears the people, there is freedom.

To hell with the government.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by binomialtheorem
I'd rather take all this media attention and use it to give a positive message to those outside the ATS. I mean we have already seen, with the recent surge in new members, the mindset of some people.TO me however it is disturbing.(And if you are wondering, I was lurking on ATS long before I joined as a member.)

Oh and by the way you say that we are being drawn into a media trap, but that could also be taken as you drawing us into a trap into seeing your message. Good job!

Friend, we could start screaming "Puppy dogs, Rainbows, Unicorns, and Kum bay ya" till we were blue in the face. IF the media wants to find something here, they will. They have about a decade of posts here to choose from.

Dont forget what the idiots did with posts from DocVelocity and Boondock Saints on that goofy report.

My opinion is somewhat along the lines of the OP and one a bit further down.

1. Dont feed the trolls. Call'em out but dont feed'em. They're a waste of space anyway.

OOONOOOEZ! THAT COULD BE HATE SPEECH!

2. No threats....wait. Anything can be construed as a threat.

Ok, nix that. Just keep it civil. If someone is making a complete ass of themselves get revenge by alerting a mod. 3 yellows makes a red.

When it comes right down to it though....screw the media and anyone that supports them.

OOOONOOOOEZ! THAT MIGHT BE TAKEN WRONG TOO!

Control the language, and you control the people.

this guy here did a fantastic essay on language and 1984.

www.sysdesign.ca...

Hell, probably shouldnt make references to 1984 either. They might think I'm a nutter....dont talk to my wife

Language as the “Ultimate Weapon” in Nineteen Eighty-Four

George Orwell, like many other literary scholars, is interested in the modern use of the English language and, in particular, the abuse and misuse of English. He realises that language has the power in politics to mask the truth and mislead the public, and he wishes to increase public awareness of this power. He accomplishes this by placing a great focus on Newspeak and the media in his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. Demonstrating the repeated abuse of language by the government and by the media in his novel, Orwell shows how language can be used politically to deceive and manipulate people, leading to a society in which the people unquestioningly obey their government and mindlessly accept all propaganda as reality. Language becomes a mind-control tool, with the ultimate goal being the destruction of will and imagination. As John Wain says in his essay, “[Orwell’s] vision of 1984 does not include extinction weapons . . . He is not interested in extinction weapons because, fundamentally, they do not frighten him as much as spiritual ones” (343).

Paul Chilton suggests that the language theme in Orwell’s novel has its roots in the story of the Tower of Babel (2). When God destroys the Towel of Babel, the civilizations which have contributed to the construction of the Tower suffer ever-after from the Curse of Confusion. The Curse both makes languages “mutually unintelligible”, and alters their nature so that “they no longer lucidly [express] the nature of things, but rather [obscure] and [distort] them” (Chilton, 2). Orwell’s Newspeak, the ultra-political new language introduced in Nineteen Eighty-Four, does precisely that: it facilitates deception and manipulation, and its purpose is to restrict understanding of the real world. Chilton also suggests that a corollary to this is that “each post-Babel language [becomes] a closed system containing its own untranslatable view of the world” (2). Certainly, the ultimate aim of Newspeak is to enclose people in an orthodox pseudo-reality and isolate them from the real world.

Whereas people generally strive to expand their lexicon, the government in Nineteen Eighty-Four actually aims to cut back the Newspeak vocabulary. One of the Newspeak engineers says, “[we’re] cutting the language down to the bone . . . Newspeak is the only language in the world whose vocabulary gets smaller every year” (55). By manipulating the language, the government wishes to alter the public’s way of thinking. This can be done, psychologists theorise, because the words that are available for the purpose of communicating thought tend to influence the way people think. The linguist Benjamin Lee Whorf was a firm believer in this link between thought and language, and he theorised that “different languages impose different conceptions of reality” (Myers 352). So when words that describe a particular thought are completely absent from a language, that thought becomes more difficult to think of and communicate. For the Inner Party, the goal is to impose an orthodox reality and make heretical thought (‘thoughtcrime’) impossible. “In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,” explains the Newspeak engineer, “because there will be no words in which to express it” (55).

By design, Newspeak narrows the range of thought and shortens people’s memories. It is therefore ideal for a totalitarian system, in which the government has to rely on a passive public which lacks independent thought and which has a great tolerance for mistakes, both past and present. “To expand language is to expand the ability to think,” says Myers (353). Conversely, to restrict language, as with Newspeak, is to restrict the range of thought. Chilton identifies the specific features of Newspeak that help restrict thought: “reduced complexity, few abstractions, and no self­reference” (37). Such narrowed public thought is what the Inner Party prefers, because a public that lacks the ability to think vividly poses less of a threat than one that can readily criticise the government and defend itself from harm.

Damned if we do, damned if we dont. Well, damn.

Dont let the idiots take control of the language folks.

Beck made a good point today saying that a politician in the execution (oops, bad word) of his job in congress could say " I'm about to chop off Senator XYZ's head!" and not be charged. The Founders made sure that political speech was safe from retaliation (oops. another word). Lets keep Their dream alive.

edit on 11/1/11 by felonius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Did anyone here actually read the end of that nut's thread? Where he changed usernames and make extremely cryptic comments, like how he was basically feeding info/working for them and that ATS will not last long? Was obviously either a psychopath or IMITATING ONE, acting like he was pretty much God and we "little" people were scum. Claimed he had a bunch of topics under different names and WRITING STYLES to gather info/gauge reactions? You have to have a pay, edu, or gov email to register now I think, so maybe he's got a bunch of gov't emails that are used to make profiles.

The really crazy post is blocked out, poster was theManipulator. Someone here is toying with us because I haven't seen anything like that, and it's timed to fit with the massacre. Weird. I was just waiting for someone to post a thread, but people seemed to have missed the point.

He said he hid in plain site, and I've seen all these new users with names like spy66 and creep55 or whatever, I know something is up, or it could be a clever hoax. It disturbed me though, and now I wish I had a screen of the post.

I hope the staff is tracking this (obviously they are, members were banned), this could be a huge problem.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos

"From my cold, dead hand"
Quote | Source

edit on 10/1/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

If someone had posted an anti-gun thread one week ago, guaranteed, one of the first five posts would have included the phrase "from my cold, dead hand." Gun nuts don't just love their guns, they love being provoked into threatening to use them ... and then having the opportunity to say macho stuff ... it's their raison d'être.

There are anti and pro guns threads all the time just like their are debates on TV and in real life on the subject all the time.

Every time there's a shooting, we all go through the same motions as the last time as if we've forgotten everything. It's just there's not that much point in doing so because despite the anti-gun people thinking each shooting will reinvigorate their platform, it doesn't. The laws are unlikely to change in this political climate and Americans are only getting dumber, not smarter.

Insane people who happen to use guns and kill people aren't really relevant to the gun control debate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Well yes, it looks like the WP was going out of their way to highlight ATS there.
And now yes I am seeing ATS mentioned in the Google News alerts.

Here:
tucsoncitizen.com...

Here:
mypetjawa.mu.nu...

And here:
www.examiner.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Assuming that there is a hand to be played into, I caution ATS members not to be fooled or goaded by the bait, and instead to become individual internet Ghandis by practicing a form of ahimsa, which is basically having a reverence for life in all of its forms through pacifistic words and actions of nonviolence and non-injury. A form of disobedience through civility and kindness.

If whoever these people are want ATS members to preach violence and harm, which to them would be the words of dissent and rebuke, then give them dissent and rebuke of a different kind that I mentioned above. It is spreading awareness, denying ignorance, and coming together against an establishment that would want you to act like rampaging gorillas so that they have a reason to clamp down and remove your freedoms.

Do not become a player in the game, because most already know that the game cannot be won. Create your own game instead.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I just saw this posted on twitter, it's an article about his posts on ATS

wireupdate.com...

is.gd...
edit on 11-1-2011 by Blazer because: fixed url

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join