It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Be Wary of Space Visitors

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
To begin with, I believe, Yes I do and for a numbers of reasons I won't go into here, Just know that I believe and I have to agree with the last remark made in this article and that is: People around the world seem to share Harrison's more positive outlook. In the new study, he cites one poll that found that 86 percent of Americans believe that aliens are more likely to be friendly than hostile.
Maybe most of us have a bead on aliens. Or maybe we're just optimists -- or suckers.

I would have to go along with the Suckers remark.

Anyway if anyone is interested: www.cbsnews.com...
When considering the prospect of alien life, humankind should prepare for the worst, according to a new study: Either we're alone, or any aliens out there are acquisitive and resource-hungry, just like us.

These two unpalatable options are pretty much the only possibilities, according to the new study. That's because evolution is predictable, and alien biospheres should thus produce intelligent creatures much like us, with technological prowess and an ever-increasing need for resources.

Or at: www.space.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/731d5c3cf6a4.jpg[/atsimg]
"Does the name Custer ring a bell?"

edit on 10-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

We should prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Great advice for everything in life, not just fictional alien visitors, lol.

However, I can't imagine if aliens are physical beings that have learned through years and years of evolution to traverse the EXTREME distances of space that they would be hostile. Heck, even if they needed supplies or something there would be no need to get them from a planet that has sentient life on it. There are billions of planets in the universe that probably have plenty of raw materials and basic wildlife (not sentient) that they could stop at in order to "refuel". There would be no need to expose themselves to the inherent and unpredictable circumstances that they would encounter trying to take over a planet of sentient beings just for camping supplies.

It's called common sense, reason and logic....using it from time to time comes in handy.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
reply to post by guohua

We should prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Great advice for everything in life, not just fictional alien visitors, lol.

However, I can't imagine if aliens are physical beings that have learned through years and years of evolution to traverse the EXTREME distances of space that they would be hostile. Heck, even if they needed supplies or something there would be no need to get them from a planet that has sentient life on it. There are billions of planets in the universe that probably have plenty of raw materials and basic wildlife (not sentient) that they could stop at in order to "refuel". There would be no need to expose themselves to the inherent and unpredictable circumstances that they would encounter trying to take over a planet of sentient beings just for camping supplies.

It's called common sense, reason and logic....using it from time to time comes in handy.

or they could care less if a primitive species compared to them inhabits the planet and take it anyway

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I cant see why they may be resource hungry there are plenty of uninhabited planets to pillage and I bet they have free energy systems in place

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Down Under

Yeah, that's what I think. Even if they needed to pillage a planet of life for food and whatnot, if there is such things as aliens then that means there are billions....trillions of planets that have life and that means there are probably a huge percent that have non-sentient life that they could harvest and whatnot. No need for them to even bother with even the slightest risk of engaging a sentient species for something as abundant in the universe as natural resources.

But, I will admit that logical argument is boring, and doesn't play into all the complete ignorant nonsense that makes up the bulk of those interested in this subject.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I would like to Thank Every One for replying.

I read the article and I'm not so sure this person is an Alarmist. I also believe that there are and I should say, will be aliens that are on the hunt to renew their supplies and energy sources.
Just because you can travel between stars does not mean you are all knowing and a light being or just a peaceful kind of beings looking to say Hi to the natives.

Traveling and pillaging other worlds my be all you know, your kind of being my have been in space for ever as far as you can remember. Maybe to then we're just a germ, parasite and bug or just In The Way!

But then again,,,,, I don't want you all to have bad dreams tonight, Yes,,, Maybe their Loving, Light and a All Giving kind of Space visitor and all they want to do is, Love Us and Pat Our Little Heads and Cure Us Of All Our Nastiness!
Sorry, i don't Buy It! I think there are Aliens out there that would Crush us like a Bug!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If there is one thing we have learned in our limited understanding of the universe, it is that life is one of the rarest things to find. Who says that life itself is not a resource? If aliens exist and are visiting us, they're not mining iron or breeding wildlife, but are quite interested in us according to abduction reports. This is significant, and cause for concern, if true.

I don't buy the theory that they would have evolved past violence or aggression. I don't believe we should immediately welcome or consider them as friends either.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
reply to post by guohua

That's a good argument, but is a bad one too, we are living proof of ignoring common sense, reason and logic frequently.

Of course, is logic, logic is strong, is good, is powerful, but how many times people had try to understand humans using logic and fail in the end?, i don't see a reason why other races can be just the same way.

In fact, i believe if we go to space, we may invade and start wars because we are bored and need some emotion, is not logic, but humans are humans.

Originally posted by Gainsayer

I don't buy the theory that they would have evolved past violence or aggression. I don't believe we should immediately welcome or consider them as friends either.

agree, in fact, the past violence or aggression is nothing more that wishful thinking, and i don't know how a race that hope to survive can do it leaving all that behind, is too much like living in a dream and expecting everything to be pacific and beautiful, if earth nature is not that way, why the universe?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I wonder if ever in the history of the Universe two races from different planets actually met...

Must have been beautiful. Sniff.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
I wonder if ever in the history of the Universe two races from different planets actually met...

Must have been beautiful. Sniff.

I heard they did once and the aftermath is called The Tunguska event.
Just Kidding, Just Kidding,,,,, Maybe Not

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Lets put this into perspective

If they exist and no doubt they do how would they collect samples of native creatures, plant life etc. and explore without risk to themselves.

I believe very few manned or piloted craft may have touched this planet, they would use a drone craft to explore and to collect samples, now! this brings to mind the so called animal and human mutilations scenaro.

If a drone craft would not make an ethical calculation on what species to collect a sample from be it a cow or a human.

Just a thought

Regards BDU

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think it is a myth that they would be more advanced than us. Perhaps we have technologies they never even dreamed of, while they have technologies that we never dreamed of as well. Perhaps bartering innovations is in order, assuming we could bypass our own primitive patent system. Perhaps a major purpose for their space missions is to travel from planet to planet and trade ideas and resources with different civilizations. In my opinion, that would be the quickest way to advance in research and development.
edit on 10-1-2011 by quantum_flux because:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Seems alien visitors goes back and forth. One side some say be weary on the other some say it will be okay, I honestly don't know what to think until if and when it happens

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Down Under

OK, I understand your thought process here,,,, But, the craft is not so much a Drone craft as a life support for Aliens being transported great distances in a type of Hibernation or Suspension of some type.
After the craft has made the long, long, long trip, the crew is woken and they begin their work of examining our planet to includes humans.

Now, are they checking up on their children left behind or are they testing us as a future gene pool or What?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

True! I believe there are many species that are way below our technological advancement out there its just a natural growth through out the universe.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Down Under
Lets put this into perspective

If they exist and no doubt they do how would they collect samples of native creatures, plant life etc. and explore without risk to themselves.

I believe very few manned or piloted craft may have touched this planet, they would use a drone craft to explore and to collect samples, now! this brings to mind the so called animal and human mutilations scenaro.

If a drone craft would not make an ethical calculation on what species to collect a sample from be it a cow or a human.

Just a thought

Regards BDU

Sorry, i don't know if i understand well, english is not my native language, but what are you saying? that a drone would have some kind of ethical parameter that would help it choose what sample collect?

If that is what you are saying, well, why assume they have "ethics" and that their ethic is similar to ours?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
For all we know, the stuff here on earth could be extremely toxic to aliens.

I don't think any have visited.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

OK, I can get my head around that

The Microwave Oven,,, Great little gadget, There are some many people today who can't cook a meal for themselves unless it's in 3 minutes and goes Ding

That is an invention any race of Aliens would be interested in, don't you think?

I'm not making fun of you quantum_flux, I'm very sure if they made it this far with out our help,,,, We got nothing they could want except maybe a new gene pool our a planet of ready made brain dead slaves, willing to following some one or some thing that preaches CHANGE!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Some would be far more advanced than to use that type of craft and life support, now theres evidence that space/time can be distorted and shorten to decrease the distance between A & B, an artificial gravity system will do that.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

We cannot prove that one way or the other but the huge amount of hearsay concludes that we have?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join