It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: International Court of Justice Says The Israeli Separation Fence Violates international Law.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The International Court of Justice is stating that the Israeli wall contravenes international law, that it should be dismantled immediately, and that compensation should be paid to Palestinians owners of property that were confiscated for the construction of the wall.

Court: fence violates int'l law, must be dismantled
The decision will be officially made public at 4 P.M. Friday under the heading, "Legal implications of the construction of the barrier in Palestinian occupied territory."

The court has ruled that on the basis of the material available to it, "[it] is not convinced that the specific course Israel has chosen for the wall was necessary to attain its security objectives." Fourteen votes favored the decision and the sole opponent was the American Judge, Thomas Buerghenthal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The court wants Israel to garantee freedom of movement, freedom to seek employment, education and health to all Palestinians.

Related News

Israel wall must be re-routed says court

Israel's Wall: A Step Toward Peace?

Christians call Israel's wall damaging to peace, people

[edit on 8-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Even in my most optimistic dreams, I can only think of one way to solve this problem without destroying Israel, and even this is a long shot. We need to force Israel to acknowledge the 1948 Green Line, and tap Saudi Arabia as the primary force in re-establishing and securing Palestine. My hope is 1. that Muslims won't rebel against Muslim intervention. 2. The average man on the street will be happy with peace and prosperity and stop listening to the far right that wants Israel destroyed. 3. That giving Palestinains "something to lose" will make them less likely to go to radical ends.

Short of that miracle working out, I can't really come down against Israel because I understand they are in a fight for their survival. They're wrong, but they're wrong because they don't want to die. It's a standoff... how do you ask somebody to put their gun down first? The only real way it works is if a truly honest 3rd party will point a gun at each of them and make them both put it down. I wouldn't exactly call -anyone- unbiased, but I think the Saudis could play ball, considering how much we could offer them, not to mention the glory of securing a free Palestine.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I hate to rain on the justic parade, but when was the last time an international court ruling impacted anything.

We can sit around and debate legal symantics all we want, but that doesnt solve much.

International courts are about as biased and useless as the UN.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

The PLO representative in the United Nations, Nasser al-Qidwa, and diplomats from Arab countries at the UN, plan to request an emergency session of the General Assembly where the results of the court's decision will be presented. It is expected that the Palestinians will seek operative application of the court's conclusions, in case Israel refuses to adopt the recommendations of the international court.

Israel has already prepared its response, assuming that the court will be critical of Israel. Israel will seek to block the issue from reaching the Security Council, with the assistance of the United States. Israel is also hoping that most EU countries will not support the Palestinian move as they opposed bringing the matter before the ICJ.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I hate to rain on the justic parade, but when was the last time an international court ruling impacted anything.

We can sit around and debate legal symantics all we want, but that doesnt solve much.

Sure when the ruling is against Israel or The USA... if the Ruling was in favour of the wall they would be using it for all its worth

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I don't think srael will care. They have already have ignored more UN resolution than any other country. Why not just ignore this ruling as well?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Don't forget: The court's ruling is not binding

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka
Don't forget: The court's ruling is not binding

Your'e right Riwka.
This ruling is a "statement".
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Uh, the courts are biased. The reason for the wall is to stop terrorists. How many times did the terrorists who presented the case for the terrorists, I mean Palestinians include terrorism? ONCE! Israel kept trying to get terrorism in, but the terrorists, I mean Palestinians kept interupting and things.

The wall is to keep terrorists out, and has been successful. Only problem is the wall isn't along all of the border.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

I don't think Israel will care. They have already have ignored more UN resolution than any other country. Why not just ignore this ruling as well?

I have to agree with Agent47 and FredT on this as well, the Israeli�s will not adhere to any decisions made by the International Court of Justice, why should they? Or why would they?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
One fact that has been overlooked is that the wall actually works.
Since it's erection, suicide bombings have decreased by 90%.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
James,

The "Green Line" is no border. It's just the pre-1967 cease-fire line .

There is no border - and that's a problem.

Persident Moshe Katsav had already called on the government and the defense establishment to continue with the construction of the fence.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Sure when the ruling is against Israel or The USA... if the Ruling was in favour of the wall they would be using it for all its worth

Oh so true. Had the court ruled against Palestine everyone would have been saying "see.. told you so" but since its against Israel everyone makes up excuses. Israel is one of the worst countries around and yet we continue to back them. Why do you continue to support terrorism like that?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't be against the fence if there was a definate border, and the fence didn't cross it.

A definate border, like between the U.S. and Mexico.... Hmmm...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
That court doesn't give a nickle about whether or not Israeli citizens are blown to bits.

I hope Israel doesn't cave on this. The Palestinian terrorists were the reason the wall was built. The Israelis didn't do it just to keep "those people" out of their towns.

And, yes, we need a similar fence at Mexico's border. I- for one - DO want illegals kept out of our towns.

Robert O'Neal

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The US State Department has stated that althou they would study the UN's ruling that the US opposition against this process has not changed.

US critical of UN barrier ruling
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat described the ruling as a "victory for the Palestinian people".

"We salute this decision condemning the racist wall," Mr Arafat told reporters at his West Bank headquarters.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei said it was "a historic day".

"I believe that after all the rancour dies, this resolution will find its place in the garbage can of history," said Raanan Gissin, a senior aide to Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Several countries, including the US and UK among others, have argued the UN should stay out of this issue according to the article. Arab governments will most likely try to secure a resolution from the court's ruling, but it is unlikely the UN will take any tough actions.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Although I do not like the idea of a wall...do the Israelis have a choice? Without the walls they recieve terrorist offerings, with one they receive criticism. I think criticism is the better of the two. Now that they have the wall they should give the remainder of the land back to the Palestinians. The Palestinians should have sovereignty. Peace may never happen, but at least it would be progress.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Israel asks US for support at UN over barrier

Israel has asked Washington to intervene to prevent any United Nations Security Council resolution after the UN's highest court ruled its West Bank barrier illegal, Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said today.

"The issue will go to the Security Council because the (Palestinians) have an automatic majority in the UN General Assembly," Mr Shalom told Israel Radio, adding that he had asked US officials to prevent any resolution being adopted.
www.abc.net.au...

Well, imo this request is/was a 'no-brainer'.
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Given Israels lack of consideration for the safety of innocent people I have absolutely no sympathy for them if anything bad were to happen to them. In my opinion they asked for it. Why do we so openly support terrorism like we do with Israel. Heck we even ranked them near the top when it comes to human rights abusers. I believe that ranking was given to them by the state department. Its time to cut off ties with them and let these idiots fend for themselves.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I say let them build their wall...but pay the land owners for they lose of land. This is what this government does when it takes property from owners to widen a highway, road, etc.

Fences, and in this case... walls, make for good neighbors...

<<   2 >>

join