It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans 'delight at alien visitors'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Humans 'delight at alien visitors'

www.thesun.co.uk

PROOF that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe will NOT upset humans because of a huge increase in modern technology, an expert claimed today.
Leading psychologist Dr Albert Harrison said times have changed dramatically since 1961 when the US Government was warned that evidence of aliens would lead to mass panic.

He believes people would either be delighted, or would just not care if evidence of alien life was discovered today.

Dr Harrison, from the University of California in Davis, wrote: "The discovery of ETI (extra-terrestrial intelligence) may be far less startling f
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree that the advent of a huge increase in modern technology has conditioned people to be more aware of the probability of alien life - the increased number of claimed sightings, the NASA press releases claiming alien life in potential bacteria survival, the plethora of government UFO files from around the world released into public domain, readily accessible online documents and movies and TV etc etc ad infinitum.

However really? This guy is trying to say there would be no mass hysteria if little green men showed up on the evening news? I wholeheartedly disagree - there would be utter pandemonium, even if the Mass media attempted to present the news as 'good' and 'upbeat' I think the human race would have a mental breakdown - particularly in the first few days of the news being released.

What do you guys think? I know already that there will be those of you who claim it is just another article readying us for 'disclosure' but does anyone think that there would be no hysteria?!?

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Unfortunately, there will always be many who would not welcome ETs under any circumstances. Either out of fear, religious dogma or just because they are different, many would propagate hatred and fear as sad and ignorant as it is.
Hopefully some close-minded, xenophobic fundamentalist doesn't incite an interstellar conflict by shooting first. We are screwed enough as is

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
For some, it will be just another group to hate. Outside of that, some people will undoubtedly find it frightening, others will be excited and delighted, others a bit wary - the usual variety of human responses. Much will depend on how they are, what they look like, what they communicate, etc. As ever, it is also a two-way thing.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Exactly, there will be a multitude of reactions and I can see a situation where the media try to control the response by their 'slant' on the story, but I look at the people around me, my parents generation (babyboomers so 60+) my other and her pals would need sedating if the archetypal little green man on his way through our solar system popped down for a cappucino with planet Earth.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I, for one, welcome our...

Ah, forget it.

I think that may hysteria would still ensue from a good chunk of the population thinking the aliens are really demons, etc. Nothing is ever easy with humans.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

This guy is trying to say there would be no mass hysteria if little green men showed up on the evening news?

I would be ok with little green men (and whatever other genders they might have). That almost sounds cute.

However, I would freak out completely, if they showed up and looked like 12 foot tall praying/preying mantises with pincers that could cut us in half if we misbehaved

First impressions...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Condition the masses and massage their brains. Ancient Aliens.. spontaneous "discoveries" and newfound insight as to the possible nature of extra-terrestrial life... Those HULU commercials were right

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm one of the people that wouldn't careless if there was an alien race. The universe is huge, to think that we are the only intelligent life that exists is just plain ignornant. There is obviously other life out there somewhere, so why would I panic when we finally find it? I may panic if they come to earth guns blazing, but then everyone would. But if they discovered some alien race, and they're weren't hostile, it wouldn't change a damn thing in my life, except maybe spark some curiousity about the new guests.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Unfortunately, there will always be many who would not welcome ETs under any circumstances. Either out of fear, religious dogma or just because they are different, many would propagate hatred and fear as sad and ignorant as it is.
Hopefully some close-minded, xenophobic fundamentalist doesn't incite an interstellar conflict by shooting first. We are screwed enough as is

Yeah but the same happens with different races of our own species...i'm pretty sure aliens would be aware of this but i too agree with the OP that i dont think mass panic would happen...i think there would be delight because it could be seen as a helpful solution to our problems.

Although i think its important to not put all your eggs in one basket if it were too ever occur...stay skeptical

edit on 10/1/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The reason why Human Individuals from other Planets are currently reluctant to make official open contact with the people of this Planet Earth:

"Regarding concrete facts about flying saucers, people want to proceed like cannibals, however, it is clear that the crews of those cosmic ships—who know human savagery very well—are not willing to let themselves be ensnared, since they know very well the fortune that awaits them—that is, the intellectual-loafers would make them prisoners, the ships would be seized and used for war, etc.”

- Samael Aun Weor
Logical analysis of the facts demonstrates not only the existence of advanced humanities, but their presence on our planet. There are thousands of documented cases of unexplained ships, hundreds of cases of governments hiding what they know, and decades of an attempt to encourage the populace to discard the facts as fantasy or foolishness.

Through stories from his own experience and analysis of well-known events, Samael Aun Weor shows that much of what we believe about extraterrestrials is false, based on fear, stubborn skepticism, and outright lies. He explains how easy it is for advanced humanities to hide from us, and why they must: because we are so consumed by psychological defects like pride, greed, and envy that we are a danger to ourselves and the universe.

That is why they are here: to understand why we are such savages, and how to help us change for the better. It is time for us to stop trying to capture or destroy them, and welcome their assistance.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Tamahu because: edited quote

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

I dont know about the rest of the people, but I would love for contact to occur... If for no other reason than to bail off this rock to see what else is out there.

To me, and ive been thinking about this for sometime, is the manner in which humanity progresses. This is a weird thought so bare with me...

For the last however many hundreds/thousand/millions of years, we have been on this rock, slowly developing, advancing, new technology, new ways to think etc etc. I think its imperative for alien contact to occur in order to save humanity, but not in the manner you might think.

All we have known is humans.. We all live on the same planet, and we are one big extended family because we are humans. Think of Humans as one big extended family, and think of Earth as one big house where we have the share a bedroom with an older or younger sibling.

Eventually, as with any family, to much close familial contact can grind on the nerves. In an effort to releive the issues, we do vacations, change living arrangements around etc etc and eventually hit the point where we leave the nest and head out on our own. The other saving grace is the fact we have friends who let us crash on their couch to work things out and let things calm down.

I think as a species we are reaching that stage where we, as a family, have started looking for the hard liquor as a coping mechanism with our family. The existance of intelligent life other than humans I think would go a long way in allowing humanity to come to terms with, and make peace with our immidiate family. It would allow us to have another family we can vent to without fear of it getting back to the mother in law so to speak.

I think we are getting burned out dealing with each other, and alein contact is going to be the family therapist.

just my 2 cents.
edit on 10-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I only agree slightly with article

back then we had no technology or idea, so the perceived gap between us and them was great, meaning the more inferior we feel to them the more we will be scared or fear full of them

....today we have technology people back then would only dream of and are aware of our universe an probably ready to see other beings/technology if it is like what we are somewhat familiar with

basically i'm saying today we could handle what we have seen in the past up until now, greys, humanoids, what ever

the parts I don't agree with is putting aliens and the unknown into a box and saying yea we can handle that

getting back to the point I was making about the gap between the two civilizations being the cause of fear, all bets are off if we encounter something completely eons ahead of us that can do things we (today) have never dreamed of, like the sun opening up or ships the size of our planet, or something that operates exclusive from all forms of physics or beings traveling space without craft

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
For some, it will be just another group to hate. Outside of that, some people will undoubtedly find it frightening, others will be excited and delighted, others a bit wary - the usual variety of human responses. Much will depend on how they are, what they look like, what they communicate, etc. As ever, it is also a two-way thing.

Ditto.
I'm not a hater, a fundi, or whatever other stereotypical slur has been mentioned thus far for someone who would be wary of and inherently frightened by humanity's first impression and revelation of an alien species.
I think the larger percentage of the human population's first impression will most likely, and naturally I might add, be some degree of apprehension and fear.

Now, would I blow it to smithereens?
No.
But I would take my children and crawl into the nearest closet and put our tinfoil hats on untl I became certain that we were not in danger.
I certainly wouldn't be answering my door, much less inviting one in for some fresh buttered cornbread and a big glass of sweet ice tea. That's for d@mn sure.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

One thing I feel in terms of your family allegory for the human race is that if an alien species did make itself known to us that the human race would finally have a galvanising reason to all join the same 'team'. There would overnight be us and them.

Whatever else aliens might or might not do, it would bring every nation and race under the same umbrella for the first time in the history of mankind. World peace even. It wouldn't last forever or probably even long, but I am sure there would be an astonishing effect of 'brotherhood'.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I wasn't disagreeing with the position that most would welcome contact with a benevolent other-worldly species. I would love to see disclosure/mass contact.I was simply pointing out that there would be different reactions, the one i described being imo the most dangerous for us. Humans can be understanding, compassionate and generous but we can also be fearful, greedy and violent. We are still too fragmented by the illusion of individuality and ego for everyone to welcome ET visitors. It will always be a mixed bag. Even if they came and said they were going to eat and enslave us there would still be some who would claim the ETs righteousness or worship them instead of resist.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
reply to post by Xcathdra

One thing I feel in terms of your family allegory for the human race is that if an alien species did make itself known to us that the human race would finally have a galvanising reason to all join the same 'team'. There would overnight be us and them.

Whatever else aliens might or might not do, it would bring every nation and race under the same umbrella for the first time in the history of mankind. World peace even. It wouldn't last forever or probably even long, but I am sure there would be an astonishing effect of 'brotherhood'.

This raises a red flag for me.
The astonishing effect of "brotherhood" could easily be used for nefarious gain.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
What the...another Article about E.T. ?

6 E.T. Hollywood-Movies announced for this Year, Docu about Area 51,UN talks about first Contact in the Press, Science publishing one Alien Article after another, Nasa admitting that Movies like "Contact" are realistic...just to name a few that came out in the last Weeks

What the...

Edit: Oh yeah,forget the Disclosure of UFO´s from some Nations...
edit on 10-1-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

Edit 2: And another one,Pope stating E.T. could exist?

I rest my Case...E.T. coming to your TV soon

edit on 10-1-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Is anyone watching V right now? What if the delight of the aliens turns to horror because we did not take caution to make sure the intentions of the aliens? I would be delighted only after establishing trust I was not going to be food or something for these noobs.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Would the intellectual-animals mistakenly called "Man" of this Planet even be able to do anything about it if that were the case?

If they wanted to, the Humans from other Planets could have made "food" out of the intellectual-animals of this Planet a long time ago, if said Extraterrestrial Humans did not have positive intentions.

With the current technology of the people of this Earth–which can only build shoddy rockets (which fail half the time) that can barely make it to the moon and back–would we be able to defend ourselves if "aliens" really wanted to do the opposite of helping us?

Are we really going to believe the TV shows and movies, which show Extraterrestrials as looking like bug-eyed "greys" and slimy "aliens"?

It is us (and especially our profane "scientists") who are the cannibals and savages, not the Extraterrestrial Humans.

For more about the context of my post here, please refer to my previous post in this thread.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Tamahu because: edited text

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join