It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Apparently according to Obama the French are america's best buddy.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Mr Obama said: 'We don’t have a stronger friend and stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy, and the French people.'

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Most of the problem here lies with people believing that what a government does actually speaks for the people. For instance Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair where lap dogs to the Americans but did the British people want this? Absolutely not! It give's Britain a bad name hence the people of Britain get treated badly when they holiday in Europe for instance. Im sure there are many American policy's that the American people dont like i.e War in Iraq, but the American people themselves are treated like warmongerers. It's the governments that give ordinary people a bad name and worse, we let them.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I think the British are cool! Cant wait for William and Kate's wedding in April, Because of time zone difference I'll have to record it. I'm sure it's going to be an OMG event

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by laterallateral

The direct norman dynasty came to an end in 1154.
As for the influence, take the word of an outsider, the Welsh. They call the ruling power to the east 'the French' till about 1200. After that, they call them the English. Most Normans actually took their names from the English villages they lorded. So John Bennington is likely to be a direct descendant.
The French surnames in England mostly come from the Huguenot exiles from France after 1685.

However, I will conceed that you have enriched English language and culture. As a proud Englishman of Norman decent, married to a Frenchwoman and now living in the Midi Pyrenees, I am very much in love with my new way of life.

As for William Duke of Normandy, he did not Conquer England. The crown was rightfully his. Harold had no right to the crown, he was not even a part of the rightful bloodline.
William should always have been King.

More on topic. I think that those American cousins that have actually been to the UK or have integrated with us at anytime, do not hate us, as we do not hate them.

I work in a totally internatioinal environment and the Seppos (septic tank (Yank)) that I have met are great guys and some of the most honest and generous people I have had the good fortune to meet.

edit on 11/1/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think the problem is that you will get 9 Americans who speak highly of the British, then you will get one who talks crap about us and then the other 9 are suddenly forgotten about....it's only takes one rotten egg.

But the same can be said the other way round, I have seen plenty of American bashing threads. I am guilty of having a pop over military things, like torture and rape, hostage killing. That doesn't mean I hate the American population as a whole, there is quite a lot I like.

One thing that bugs me is the stereotyping that you see in cartoons and films (Family guy comes to mind here, although it is damn funny).

I am British, more so Northern English.....I like coffee not tea, I like black pudding and steak, not crumpets (although crumpets are nice with lashings of butter), my teeth aren't brown and crooked, and I don't talk all yip yip laady da pip pip, or with that stupid 19th century cockney accent you see in the likes of Family Guy.

At the end of the day we are all human beings (except the French, lol, JK), we are all fighting to survive what our governments subject us too, and we would all be a lot better off if we stopped arguing amongst ourselves and united against our common enemies.

BTW its ARSE, not ASS!!

edit on 11/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Damn you Sir !!!!

I knew I missed something about Old Blighty. Black Pudding............ Now I am slightly homesick LOL

Star for you my friend.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I don't hate them, I totally dig the accent. I DO hate it when they call us Yanks, I can't stand the Yankees. Im from CA, call me a Niner. Go Niners!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sbc650mike

No disrespect meant by the Yank comment. LOL
It is sometimes difficult to label a whole nation with one word, such as Yank or Limey. Please enlighten me.
My friend, who is from Montana still calls the Southern US "Rebels". I call him down on that, but he still continues.

Do you guys actually have a generic slang word for all US citizens?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

Why would we hate the British haha

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by sbc650mike

No disrespect meant by the Yank comment. LOL
It is sometimes difficult to label a whole nation with one word, such as Yank or Limey. Please enlighten me.
My friend, who is from Montana still calls the Southern US "Rebels". I call him down on that, but he still continues.

Do you guys actually have a generic slang word for all US citizens?

Sometimes we do. Like we call people from the north US, Yankees and they call us from the south, Rebels or hillbillies.
But for the most part we all like each other. At least I hope we do.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

I see, but if you were to sum up the whole population with one word, what would you, as an American, use?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by maybee

I see, but if you were to sum up the whole population with one word, what would you, as an American, use?

Well in one word, just "Americans", I guess. Or as were also known as "Keepers of the Planet".

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

See, Americans do have a highly developed sense of humour. LOL

Have a great day my friend.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
i dont see anywhere hate signs of the british. in fact i love them they gave us many things on tv. Dr. Who, Absolutly Fabulous, Red Dwarf, Top Gear. just to name a few. guess i dont know much else about british people except i like the way they talk. to answer your question no we dont hate you.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I'm British, one of my writing buddies is an American.

Apparently his wife digs my accent. He hates me for that haha

But truthfully, no hate...

Life is too short

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'm a Brit and a relatively new member and I can honestly say I dont think there is any animosity shown towards the British on this forum at all. It is good to be amongst largely like minded people who have an interesting perspective on the world we live in, and further afield of course!

I did notice last week that a new Brit female member joined who was easy on the eye and pretty sassy/coy with her words.

I couldnt help but notice how many existing members were busily forming an orderly queue to introduce themselves to her whilst not tripping over their tongues.

And I thought queuing was just a British thing....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by alittleironic

I love the brits. I have many british friends here in the US, and afar. Never heard of anyone I know in US hating on the Brits...

And their accent is sexy.

Dear Sir/Madam
Being a British subject I can assure you that you "Americans" have a sexy accent, in the British Isle there are many "accents" you can drive from one little village to another and hear a different accent. My point is this, tho we have many accents over here, some Americans have honed the Art of Speech to a degrading level of understanding.
Call me a Upper-Class-Snob, but to my delicate ears, some Americans,not all, do not seem to realise that TOMATOES are pronounced "TOMaTOES" and not TOEmatoes, and the letter "Z" is not "ZEE", its "Z,d".I could go on and on, which would bore the socks off you, so toodle Pip old boy and Tally Ho.

Do I hate or love Americans? Yes and No, treat me with respect and I will gladly give it back.

BTW:
Americans didn't win the war way back when...they were Britsh subjects "rebelling" against a German King on the British Throne

edit on 11/1/2011 by Lyrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I personally think Brit's are awesome, and looooove a guy with an accent, haha
I have never heard any animosity towards people from Britain....so rock on!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't see much British hatred on this site.

You get a bit of harmless banter every now again which can be taken the wrong way by some people.

There are things about America i don't agree with or understand, but that's mainly down to cultural differences. It doesn't mean I hate or dislike our American cousins, far from it.
I think the same can be said about us. I mean we live in a democracy yet we have a Queen! (the miserable old cow that she is.)

Btw, i agree it's arse not ass.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I love the British!

The Harrier, Dr. Who and Tea, whats not to like!!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join