It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by JohnCreed777

I just wish for once your "TV" would take the piss out of us Northerners, it's always the south that gets it and it makes the rest of us Brits look like either a) upper class, big nosed, crooked teeth, posh tea drinking, crumpet eating tossers, or b) 18th century cockney half wits!

We're a product of centurys of Celtic, Viking, roman < insert other ancient battle seasoned cultures here > rule, them southerners all got Frenched!

EDIT: Scrap that thought, I would hate to see an American do a Cumbrian / Scouse / Manc / Yorkshire or Lancastrian accent, hell, even a Brummie accent would be hard methinks! (no offence meant)
edit on 11/2/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Dont know if its just my scouse accent but every time I'm in a bar in New York or Vegas I keep being asked whether I'm from Dublin! Also, I've lived her in Liverpool all my life and have yet to meet another scouser who talked through his nose like John Lennon, or murdered the English language like Paul O'Grady...
To my knowledge there's at least three scouse accents and thats not including the plastic scousers from St Helens or the Wirral.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I was reminded today of one of the many reasons (please don't think it's only for your awesome humor because of this) that I infact love the British when I discovered for the first time...

..."Tubes" of Soccer AM. LOL. Funniest thing I've seen in many a year. Really lifted my spirits.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I really don't think you have much to worry about. A lot of americans are huge fans of the brits. Why, just look at how many fans Amazingphil has. I love british people, and sometimes wish that I was british. (Besides, your accents are simply adorable)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

I know exactly what you are talking about, im british also, its not just on here that Amaricans think the British are dumb or weak I've seen it on other forums.

Its my ambition to go to the states someday and i think its an awesome place so why do Americans think they are better than us? to be honest without the British America wouldn't have won the wars they have.

Ill say here what I've said on other forums to people "What Language Do 90% Of Americans Speak?"

Ill leave it at that.

P.S that is just my opinion and in the UK you are entitled to at least that.
edit on 1/5/2011 by wlasikiewicz because: spelling errors

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz

I know exactly what you are talking about, im british also, its not just on here that Amaricans think the British are dumb or weak I've seen it on other forums.

Its my ambition to go to the states someday and i think its an awesome place so why do Americans think they are better than us? to be honest without the British America wouldn't have won the wars they have.

Ill say here what I've said on other forums to people "What Language Do 90% Of Americans Speak?"

Ill leave it at that.

We speak American English because Anglo Americans(English Americans) used everything from workplace discrimination, lynching, raping and burning non-English speakers homes down(remember the KKK is an English American institution)

P.S what war did the US win that we couldn't of won without you?

WW1? please.. the UK TRICKED! the USA into that war with the help of British sympathizers in the States. By all rights the UK should be held severely liable for every American death from WW1. Heck some might even view it as an act of war against the USA.

WW2? Right, the British where so desperate that without US hand me down destroyers and other military equipment(as well as financial aide) the Nazi's would of conquered Albion easily.

I know which war's your talking about.. The Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Without British help we most certainly couldn't of won those war's...

As per inferiority/superiority complex the British people have, well this is blow back from the Bush years. After constant British harassment of Americans online. Many of your country men call us an "Evil Empire", when in fact the UK wrote the book on everything from genocide, concentration camps and even put the Vikings to shame with how your beloved country raped and pillaged your way across the globe. Most conservative estimates of British Empire victims is around 100 million+(also remember the earths population was around 3 billion if that).

Also with how you (&*^(&*^ us in the gulf British Petroleum oil spill has a very large part in it. One of the reasons(I think) for the cover up is because your pensioner system is heavily invested in BP(meaning if BP was ever held fully accountable it would bankrupt your pension system and bring the UK to it's knees). Same as what you did to India. Starve New Deli to feed London; Steal from America and let America freeze so London can stay warm.

Your a country of a sociopaths.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

And you Sir are just an arrogant, ill informed bigot.

Fortunately I wouldn't dream of applying the same sweeping generalisations that you use and know that you are not representative of all American's.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Fortunately I wouldn't dream of applying the same sweeping generalisations that you use and know that you are not representative of all American's.

Hello Freeborn. You're stuck on another American hate speech rant I see. Do you hate Americans that much that all you do is log on this website and wait to verbally attack any that you see?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by joechip
I am American and I love the British.

Dr. Who.

The Clash.

Monty Python.

How can you not love the British?

BP aka British Petroleum. If it was a majority American company that spilled a few barrels of oil, let alone millions, the British would be asking for the former Oregon Territories. Heck try and imagine a majority American company owning or operating a mine or oil platform in British territory would be a hard sell. Yet the British are able to rape our shores and steal from our land with impunity?

Remember it was the British bankers that started this depression and it is British owned oil and banking firms that are intentionally weakening and crippling the American economy. Why are we even aligned with that nation full of sociopaths is beyond me, I think we should just send the red-coats packing like it is 1774.

That's a rather large brush you must have there to tar us all with? Some of us are very aware of the historical misdeeds of our ancestors, But to lump us all together with the elites of today we ourselves have no love for is a bit silly.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

You fool, you know nothing about me yet make ridiculous assumptions like that which only succeed in showing you up for what you are; a bigotted American with a narrow minded world viewpoint....some simple research would reveal how absurd your statement is.

As simple as this is for most people to understand you for some reason seem unable to comprehend that criticising or disagreeing with one American or one aspect of America does not constitute hating all things American.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Ill leave it at that.

We speak American English because Anglo Americans(English Americans) used everything from workplace discrimination, lynching, raping and burning non-English speakers homes down(remember the KKK is an English American institution)

P.S what war did the US win that we couldn't of won without you?

WW1? please.. the UK TRICKED! the USA into that war with the help of British sympathizers in the States. By all rights the UK should be held severely liable for every American death from WW1. Heck some might even view it as an act of war against the USA.

WW2? Right, the British where so desperate that without US hand me down destroyers and other military equipment(as well as financial aide) the Nazi's would of conquered Albion easily.

I know which war's your talking about.. The Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Without British help we most certainly couldn't of won those war's...

As per inferiority/superiority complex the British people have, well this is blow back from the Bush years. After constant British harassment of Americans online. Many of your country men call us an "Evil Empire", when in fact the UK wrote the book on everything from genocide, concentration camps and even put the Vikings to shame with how your beloved country raped and pillaged your way across the globe. Most conservative estimates of British Empire victims is around 100 million+(also remember the earths population was around 3 billion if that).

Also with how you (&*^(&*^ us in the gulf British Petroleum oil spill has a very large part in it. One of the reasons(I think) for the cover up is because your pensioner system is heavily invested in BP(meaning if BP was ever held fully accountable it would bankrupt your pension system and bring the UK to it's knees). Same as what you did to India. Starve New Deli to feed London; Steal from America and let America freeze so London can stay warm.

Your a country of a sociopaths.

Wow - haven't you been watching the news on Iraq and Osama?

The UK is accused of stepping into countries to push an imperialist agenda...America obviously learned from the UK then!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Britian and the US need each other FULL STOP

2nd line

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
reply to post by spikey

this - and the same poster's responses to the replies that followed, could be taken as Anti-Brit.

Also, this thread, despite being primarily a thread concerning the royals, did contain numerous slurs against the British people in generally, such as this.

So while I'm not saying that we have been unfairly bashed, I do see where OP is coming from. Although I reckon everyone gets a decent bashing from time to time. Keeps the dust out.
edit on 10/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

EDIT - poster for third link definitely not American.
edit on 10/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

I may have this wrong, but the first thread you linked to seemed more an argument about the definition of "Free Speech" than an anti-Brit slur. As a first-generation American whose extended family still primarily lives in the UK, I am often accused of being a "fake Brit" in the Southeastern US. I am concerned about people in the UK, particularly in England, seemingly unconcerned that their culture is becoming increasingly Islamicized. My last visit was fairly depressing because it seemed as though no one thought that British culture was worth saving. With the exception of the somewhat shady National Front, that is.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewJay

Hello Freeborn. You're stuck on another American hate speech rant I see. Do you hate Americans that much that all you do is log on this website and wait to verbally attack any that you see?

Wow hate much? Ive seen freeborns posts and can tell you hes not an american hater so your way off base. The fact is the bond between the British and Americans are strong. Where alike in more ways then were different what other countries in the world have so much in common. Now i was reading a previous post that freeborn commented on. In one respect they did get one thing right.

During the Bush era Americans were being attacked the British were still leaning to the left they weren't attacking us so much as the right. Now there heading to the right the austerity programs prove they went to far to the left i just hope we learn from them before we make the same mistakes. Now ive been to London 3 times and each time had a blast.Well with one exception you couldn't pay me to take the tube again that was scary. And roundabouts should just be outlawed what genius thought roads need to go in circles??

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

reply to post by AndrewJay

You fool, you know nothing about me yet make ridiculous assumptions like that which only succeed in showing you up for what you are; a bigotted American with a narrow minded world viewpoint....some simple research would reveal how absurd your statement is.

As simple as this is for most people to understand you for some reason seem unable to comprehend that criticising or disagreeing with one American or one aspect of America does not constitute hating all things American.

www.financingretirement.co.uk...
uk.reuters.com...

(Is US exports of oil to the UK a state secret or something? Freak spent a long enough time trying to find out but the only clue so far is these two links: www.forbes.com...

From Forbes saying how the US exports 12% of our diesel supply[but doesn't say where it goes]

www.census.gov...

Show's how during the same time period US trade deficiency with the UK equal's out some how and how the US exports more to the UK then we receive imports from.

------
My original post was going to say something different but this will suffice.

P.S I don't have a narrow world view, I just don't like what the UK has done to the USA and feel that the grievances both historical and recent can only be settled the old fashion way. So why would I care about the feelings of a person from a country I wouldn't mind going to war against?

But please if I defamed the "honorable" British Citizenry disprove my comments. Please explain away. If my assertions are ignorant and go against the truth of things, against the facts, well then it should be an easy thing to prove me wrong.

(On the flip side it has given me a greater appreciation for Latin American nationalist's desire for self control)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Take a look at the coal miners teeth in the 'coal states' who earn $10.000 per year, even worse that the Brits teeth, I was shocked when watching the TV program about coal miners, cannot remember where/when tho.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

www.financingretirement.co.uk...
uk.reuters.com...

(Is US exports of oil to the UK a state secret or something? Freak spent a long enough time trying to find out but the only clue so far is these two links: www.forbes.com...

From Forbes saying how the US exports 12% of our diesel supply[but doesn't say where it goes]

www.census.gov...

Show's how during the same time period US trade deficiency with the UK equal's out some how and how the US exports more to the UK then we receive imports from.

So what?
What are you trying to prove?

I suspect we really couldn't give a toss if you stop selling us diesel, we'll just buy it off someone else, pretty straight forward.

As for BP; it's a privately owned company and absolutely nothing to do with the UK at all.
This has been discussed at length here on ATS on numerous occassions, seems some people just don't want to listen and stick to their pre-conceived opinions regardless of the facts.
And for your information our State Pensions aren't worth a carrot anyway!

As an aside I would like to see multi-national companies like BP held accountable.
Like Union Carbide in Bhopal.
en.wikipedia.org...
Or ExxonMobil and other's for the ongoing oil spills in The Niger Delta, something that far exceeds The Deepwater spillage.
www.nytimes.com...

Deepwater was a result of a series of error's and incompetencies and as such no individual or organisation can be held solely accountable.

-----

My original post was going to say something different but this will suffice.

To be honest I don't see exactly what you were trying to say other than some sort of anti-UK rant.

P.S I don't have a narrow world view,

Well you are doing a very good job of proving other and appear to have an exceptionally insular, US dominated viewpoint.

I just don't like what the UK has done to the USA and feel that the grievances both historical and recent can only be settled the old fashion way.

For clarification could you please state exactly what these past and current grievances are, supplying sources and supportive evidence and not just opiionated bigotry, dogma and Hollywood propoganda.

If you do so then I will attempt to answer as honestly and openly as possible.

So why would I care about the feelings of a person from a country I wouldn't mind going to war against?

You would love to go to WAR with me and my country?
Pretty strong words.
Have you ever been to war?
Do you know anyone who has?

I suspect you haven't even the balls to go one to one with someone in real life and feel mighty hard and clever hiding behind a keyboad but in reality is a spineless coward!

But please if I defamed the "honorable" British Citizenry disprove my comments. Please explain away. If my assertions are ignorant and go against the truth of things, against the facts, well then it should be an easy thing to prove me wrong.

I refer The Honourable(?) Gentleman to the answer I gave earlier.

(On the flip side it has given me a greater appreciation for Latin American nationalist's desire for self control)

WTF has that got to do with The UK when the vast majority of Central and Southern America are former Spanish colonies and the USA is currently trying to spread or maintain it's influence and control over the area?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

your beloved country raped and pillaged your way across the globe. Most conservative estimates of British Empire victims is around 100 million+(also remember the earths population was around 3 billion if that).

Times were different back then, and we learnt from those mistakes, America is still in 4th grade when it comes to that sort of stuff, tens of thousands of Japanese civilians, god knows how many middle easterners, how many Vietnamese civilians? How many women and children have American soldiers raped in various wars, I've seen the news stories, and then there is the torture.

Now I, as an educated man, know that the actions of the few cannot be put on the majority of decent American civilians, but that is what you are doing to the British in your statement, and our crimes weren't even in modern times when, as two civilised societies, things like that should not happen!

Don't be so quick to judge when you have so many skeletons in your closet.

edit on 4/5/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am American, I love British women, a British woman bore two of my children when I was stationed in Germany, in the U.S army, infantry. They love us too, in fact who doesn’t love the victorious rebel? That’s what we are; deep down inside everyone knows we represent what a victor is. We are the most criticized, yet we are the most loved. Remember your biggest critic is your lover...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

Warning: NOT SAFE FOR WORK (language)

Eddie Izzard
expresses it better than I can.

"The British play bad guys in movies because of the Revolutionary war."

David Grouchy
edit on 10-1-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

One of the best comedians I have ever seen. On topic, Got nothing at all against the British, great people in my book.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I've never met anyone here in America in my town who dislikes the Brits. You're seen as the one ally we can count upon no matter what, and the accent has always been popular as well.

As for the French, that is another matter entirely.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38 >>

join