It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
In fact tonight, since we've been discussing the British culture, I think I'm going to pop in one of my favorite classic movies "Withnail and I" and pour myself a glass of wine.

A couple of my favorite quotes from the movie...

"We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"

"I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder."

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

theres an "air" about some British people (just as there are in every nationality)... I have found the majority to be cool people. Met a few that have tried to hard, and met a few that simply thought they were better than everyone else and always in a competition of sorts.

These traits are found everywhere, but they stick out more when that person already sticks out. If you are in America with a european accent you are going to stick out like a sore thumb...be that good or bad depends on who you ask I suppose. But, I like the old adage "when in Rome act as the Romans", that seems to get people the farthest.

I have a bit of a bias about British history because I have come to the understanding much of the world "conspiracies" have a foundation in the old british empire...the "NWO" for example... They were brutal imperialists that literally had aspirations to rule the entire world. That being said, the world probably owes more to Britain for taking us out of the dark ages than any other empire before its time. Im glad they never accompished their goals, but we are still living through some of the reprocussions today from British imperialism of yester-year.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spungy
Everybody in the world hates the English. You took our languages, denyed us educatiuon, re-wrote our history and made us all slaves.
edit on 11-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

thankyou....it was quite a challenge and at times we felt like giving up but perseverance won us through.
it was hard going but we did it !
thanks again. 8-)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
Actually Canada had the most potential of any nation in history.

They could have had the culture of the British, the cuisine of the French and the technology of the Americans.
Instead, they got the culture of the Americans, the cuisine of the British and the technology of the French.

Now I know what's wrong with this place! Much obliged.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
We don't hate the British. We came from you well alot of us did anyway. You have given us many bands including the Beatles and the Spice Girls had a huge crush on Baby but, anyway alot of us don't really like your leaders and parliament for the same reason we don't like our government corrupt leaders.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
WOW...... 23 pages

Has a noob ever achieved this level of response before.

It was a Brit that did it (nod to sun newspaper)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The Brittish...I feel a mixed emotion about the Brits. On the one hand, I can honestly say that I have no British enemies. On the other, I can honestly say that I detest the Brits of their past. It was because of the Brits that my family had to leave Scottland with a price on their head's. Of course that was several hundred years ago. I can also admit that I destest Americans. At least the ones of the past. I am of mixed blood. I have Scottish, Irish, Cherokee, Comanche, and Black Foot. So I am a mix of those supressed. Am I supressed now? No. We have learned to live in relative peace. And with this current understanding of each other, we stand together. It is no longer a question of what race is better, but rather what "humans" remain. What choices we make today will affect all our children. We are all mixed now days. So in saying that, we are one. We are "human". In all governments, there are things they do that we dislike. But no one really takes a stand. No one is willing to draw that line in the sand and scream "this far, and no further". And when those few that do, they are met with nothing more than wall. I have no British enemies. I have no enemies anywhere, except right here in my own country.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman1

That pro-monarchy propaganda is a load of tripe.You are brainwashed if you actually believe that.The monarchy have overseen the rape and pillage of not only their own "subjects", but of just about every other nation they have come in contact with.
What did they do when millions starved in Ireland, a land they claimed jurisdiction over?
What did they do to stop the Penal Laws?
Why were ships full of grain sent by the Choctaw Indian tribe as aid, blockaded in Cork Harbour within sight of the starving masses, until it rotted?
Don't tell me they couldn't have stopped such action.
Why did HM forces guard stockpiles of surplus food,arresting or killing any of the starving who tried to get at it.
Why are there so many people of Irish descent living in Australia?Hint:it's got nothing to do with surfing.
Why was Michael O' Dwyer knighted and why wasn't Reginald Dyer tried and hung for their dispicable deeds in Amritsar, India?
There are a million more questions I could ask but I fear , as with most royalists,that your answer will be something to the effect that they weren't in control of any of these things and it was all parliament's fault.If that is the case then one would have to hold the British public responsible, which I don't.

The line about putting 200 mil into the treasury is a rib splitter.Have you ever heard of cooking the books?I hate to be one of those conspiracy freaks, but fraud and embezzlement actually do happen.Who told you this crap?And you take their word for it?

These people go by a false name for crying out loud!They live a life of luxury while many ordinary Britons live in ignorance and poverty.They do not give a toss about any of their subjects as long as they serve a purpose that keeps the royalty in the style the demand.

Why don't they eat Tesco Value muck and drive Corollas or Scions or some other budget ride?Because it's beneath them.How many racehorses do they own?How many assistants does the Prince of Wales have on payroll?149 the last time I checked.These psychopathic snobs are a millstone around the neck of the British people.

Do you like curtseying/genuflecting before other people to show your inferiority and deference?Are you one of those clowns who got their knickers in a twist when Ronan O Gara refused to take his hands out of his pockets when queenie went to meet him?Picture of the year I thought.

ROG meets queen

Do you buy those tacky jubilee plates from the Mail on Sunday mags and hang them on the wall and fawn over them?You sound like the sort.Are you drumming your feet with excitement over another royal wedding?.... How thrilling!!!Do you like curtseying/genuflecting before other people to show your inferiority and deference?

edit on 11-1-2011 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I dont know anyone that really dislikes Britain. Granted, yall did some nasty things to the Irish and Scots but I chalk that up to the Church. The church jerked around a lot of people back in the day.

For the most part I think the ethnic Brits are a good bunch. Very similiar to us in the States.

I do see yall as a "canary in the coal mine" though. Yall are on the fast track to a police state faster than even we are. Your leadership has sucked for a long time. Ours has been lame for the most part since '63...for that matter not good for many decades previous (besides Ike).

Any squables between us should be that. US! We are kindred in many ways. We Anglo/Germanics can piss and moan at each other but anyone else needs to back off! It kills me to see travel shows and places in the UK look anything but like the UK should.

One thing I dont care for about yall. Your beer isnt great. Guinness is passable...wait, thats Irish.
At least we have Shiner and Sam Adams!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
it is the english accent!! the american ppl love it.....well i think it's sexy with a british accent :S

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hate? Everybody loves a bloke.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
One question.

Why do the Brits speak like Brits with a Brit accent, but sing like Americans? Does our slang rhyme better than there's?

Its like, in an interview us Americans can hardly understand when the Brits speak fast in their native slang. But when they sing, most of us never knew they were Brits, unless we knew already.

"But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game".
edit on 11-1-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

American accents are actually pre-victorian English. In fact, if you went to England around the time of Shakespeare, you'd say he was speaking in an American English. Proper British began later on in the world, and evolved into what you here in England today. However, English colonists were cut off from the evolution, so they never changed, as their lives pretty much stayed the same.

Now why do they sound American when they sing? Well one could theorize that because good singing is pretty universal, and that you can't really hear accent changes when you're trying to hit a certain verse. Or it could just be that the established "good" in singing started with Shakespeare with an American accent.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I try to love everyone. I would like to visit Britain some day. Heck, there are a lot of places I would love to visit on the globe.

Troy

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
i think Britts are perddy cool, plus yall have bitchen accsents : ) Id love to viset that side of the world sometime

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewalters1
I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.
Do most americans see the british as a weak spineless nation that can't do anything without american backing, be the backing financial or help to win wars.

I am a british person and i love america i have family there and would prefer to be a 51st state of america than a european state.
My feelings are changing after tacking a bashing from some american members of ats. One guy even blamed the british for his ancestors being brutalised in some war way back.

This is stupid because the modern day average british person doesn't share the same views our ancestors did, regardless of what our ancestors did it has nothing to do with us in this day and age.

I don't really like the british government and disagree with allot of their agendas but its like people think the british government makes decisions and that all the british people agree and that we are all tossers!!

When president bush was saying stupid things on the television i didnt think the whole of america is dumb as hell like him.

Does anybody see my point?

we don't hate the British, we just hate what the government is doing to you guys as well as ours... it's the tptb that manipulate the masses against one another ..

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewalters1

My feelings are changing after tacking a bashing from some american members of ats. One guy even blamed the british for his ancestors being brutalised in some war way back.

Those people do not represent America, a FEW people on ATS.. internet thugs and clicks
aren't cool. Yeah we have a lot of stupid people here in the states with access to the internet it happens. It could have been any country to host a internet gang as well. Dont worry about it, you are going to encounter stupid jerks from all around the globe. Don't wear your heart on your sleeve, the internet can be a pretty cruel place it comes with the territory.

The poster holding an entire people and generation accountable for the actions of a few sounds like he wants to blame on someone for his personal shortcomings and what have you. It is typical simian behavior among these circles. It's pretty damned silly, some people still hate the Germans thinking they are Nazis in 2011 waiting for a fourth Reich to rise again lol. Some people are simply unrealistic , they have never been out in the world and i have been to Germany and i could not find a single Nazi, i ran in to a bunch of cool people and had the best brats and beers ever though. Never got to make to England but i hope to visit some day. Beautiful country.

Well i like the Brits, i do not see anything spineless about the british however the french that is another story, i mean that's where some of my ancestors came from going back to the Mayflower and going back to my knighted ancestors. It seems more Brits here on ATS are real down to earth nice people. But im getting tired of British and Europeans calling Americans stupid just because our country is under siege right now. The sheep do not represent Americans. I have not noticed so much Americans slamming and railing on the British but i have noticed it coming the other way.

It is really stupid none the less either way. I think the US and UK have ran out of enemy's and people to kill in our coalition we are starting to turn on each other. Or more than anything us Yanks have huuuge Ego's just like our Brit counter parts, we have far more in common with the UK than any other country. After all our Imperialistic country was founded on the principals of the British carried on by the pilgrims, America is just an expansion of the crown. They may have lost the revolutionary war, but there is a new revolution and war going on here and in the UK...for your freedom. We are allies.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Good point but sadly the senior man in the USA has an pretty obvious opinion of "us" Brits. First thing he did was send the bust of Churchill back and his latest comment about the French being the USA's best ally and friend sum him up. Add to that the ex PM TB being unable to make a decision without making sure it was ok with Dubya then can you blame some of the Americans for feeling the way they do? I am British but a Scot and thoroughly disgusted with the sending back of the Lockerbie bomber to have a dignified death - what about the people flying 30000 feet - was that dignified? The GOM Deepwater Horizon spill did not exactly emanour us with the States either. The fact that this was an American Drilling Company with a rig manned by Americans working for an oil company who had all Americans making the decisions relating to this incident became irrelevent when the US senior people started the British Petroleum retorate. I wanted to start a thread about the Horizon and Transocean but as I have just joined I dont have enough comments registered to do this. maybe later. Anyway, with that I am sure we cant really blame some intense anti-Brit feeling seeping -sorry creeping - in.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I am an American and view the British/UK as trusted allies. We are like peas and carrots really. The offspring of the parent that now tend to the parents needs . . . just my opinion of course, figuratively speaking.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blah yada

Getting a bit hot and bothered there. Let's also not forget that tradition and manners are very important in a nations culture. We cant change the past it is what it is but we can learn from the mistakes made. Without getting too personal the USA really only has just over 200 years of tradition which in a very short space of time has consisted of invading several countries (not counting WWI or WWII) and guns... Let's not forget what the native Americans suffered at the hands of a young government who, based on your own comments, seemed to adopt some of the ideas from the Brits!!

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join