It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I am confused about your assertions here, because while some groups or nationalities have been targeted I've never noticed the British being among them.

Are there specific threads to which you are referring? If so, please post them, perhaps I didn't see them, otherwise I am a little skeptical about this. Thanks.
edit on 1/10/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
No issues here with the Britts.

I think the OP is a bit overly sensitive possibly?

edit on 10-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think i understand what the OP means.

I've noticed it a few times.

If say 2 people, one American and one British get into a debate on, lets say history.

There's lots of...

'YOU did this, and YOU did that, you bad British people you!'

When really it should be.

'THEY did this and THEY did that'

But it works both ways.

I noticed it a alot on this thread yesterday

Royal Family granted new right of secrecy

The Debater should not be blamed for things out of their control just because they are from the Country that is being debated about.
edit on 10-1-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

link   
I saw a few episodes of Brit-Bashing lately, aimed at the people, rather than the government and, occasionally, at the actually worthwhile stuff that the government has done. I don't think it's serious hate, though, just jealousy.

EDIT to Add: to those who've said that the British accent is sexy, I thank you on behalf of my nations, but have to ask which one?
edit on 10/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

link   
I'm an American - from the south. I love the Brits - I am 1/4 myself.

I jus think ya'll talk funne

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

My feelings are changing after tacking a bashing from some american members of ats.

Really? why would you change your mind and paint a broad brush over the American people because of some "jerks" on an Internet forum, who may or may not have even been American? The logic makes no sense.
edit on 10-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The British have always been a stand up folk in my mind. I survived three days in Cardiff and went home with all my teeth and an expanded waistline because of the pubs! Good times with good peeps.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

If so it definitely wouldn't apply to me. And I can't say that I've seen evidence of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I like the Brits both on a personal level (I've been over there many times) and in a general sense as a nation.

For instance, regardless of what you thought of the Iraq war, the Brits stood shoulder to shoulder with us at great cost to themselves. That's what friends do. We've helped and supported each other countless times over the years. Sure we disagree on some things, but we're there for each other when it counts.

On a final note, I'm actually more partial to the Scots, both because of my own heritage as well as the experiences I had while visiting there.

Hell, I even like the Irish...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Not at all...a little odd for drinking warmish beer, but other than that...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am an Anglophile for sure. Personally, I have never met anyone who expressed hatred for British people. If I did, I certainly would think that to be strange.

I have had many British friends over the years, and what always struck me saw the British sense of humor - so deliciously sarcastic in nature. I learned early on never to engage in an insult contest with my British friends!

The OP should rest easy..........

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Forgive me OP, fellow ATS members..but the 'conspiracy theorist' side of me is hearing alarm bells after reading this thread.

The only other two posters on this thread that i instinctively feel are also a little suspicious of tenor of this thread are Ladyinwaiting and Slayer.

With respect, you're quite a new member OP, and frankly your opening remarks in this thread, reek of a psych op.

Divide and conquer eh mate?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

this - and the same poster's responses to the replies that followed, could be taken as Anti-Brit.

Also, this thread, despite being primarily a thread concerning the royals, did contain numerous slurs against the British people in generally, such as this.

So while I'm not saying that we have been unfairly bashed, I do see where OP is coming from. Although I reckon everyone gets a decent bashing from time to time. Keeps the dust out.

EDIT - poster for third link definitely not American.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What some of you seem to forget is that we all take are turns... There will be anti-rhetoric about the country of the moment. Just wait - I bet this thread becomes about something (or some other country) soon enough...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Its the dental hygiene thing I don't get.
2 of my closest friends are from London and my lord are their teeth crooked and dirty.
Is it just me?!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

(I do recognise that... hence "I reckon everyone [on ATS] gets a good bashing from time to time. Keeps the dust out")

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You have been here a couple of weeks and you see this? Will you please post examples.

I have never seen this on ATS and I have been here a number of years.

We have a number of staff that are British. Tons of members that are....

Im quite fond of the Brits myself...my best friend is British....love visiting there....love the humour...and the accent....and so on

oh and with the teeth thing....ive seen more Americans with crap teeth then Brits when I was there for a summer
edit on January 10th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

I missed that last sentence. Consider it a message to the masses and not solely at your post.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It may possibly not have been there when you first read it - I tend to edit my posts so much that I lose track of what was there to begin with.

It is a good message, individually or generally, anyway. It comes back to that ATS Invertebrate thread (this one, for those who haven't read it).

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
To the OP- I honestly don't think Americans in general have any issues with the Brits. With the exception of that whole 1776 thing,
our two nations have always stood by each other, and fought valiantly side by side when needed....
Plus, you guys gave us James Bond, so you can't be all bad!!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Of course the occassional anti-Brit sentiment get's expressed here on ATS, just as some people delight in spouting anti-US rhetoric.
Some Americans do seem to have an insular and exceptionally biased and uneducated opinion of Brit's and our history.
Americans aren't exactly encouraged to question Hollywood's version of events and seek the truth.
But there seems to be just as much, if not more, American hating going on, sometimes quite bizarrely by Americans themselves.

I enjoy having a bit of craic with our miscreant colonial cousins and look forward to the day when they return to the fold.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join