It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Good link, but it does mention that it became "Aluminium" to fit with the naming tradition, before the states reverted to an older, but atypical, spelling. I have learnt something.

Ironically, the use of z in words such as "realize" is the older spelling, which the states re-adopted after we changed it to s, and now criticise americans for their poor spelling.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
and now criticise americans for their poor spelling.

That's okay, we're too busy eating fried stuff on a stick to notice.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

I can't speak for others, but I am American And I love the British myself! I love the accent and how they are so proper and mostly very respectful and kind people. Very nice individuals I think they are. I haven't met every single one, mind you, but most of the ones I have met meet all these credentials.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

HA! I totally LOL'd when watching that vid and he talked about using the word "sh*t" for everything exept what it actually meant and how a friend of his said "sh*t" when he stepped in some in the park and called it "doo doo"....lmao...that is so friggin' funny and totally true.
I've done the EXACT same thing several times when I step in it:
"SH*T!! I just stepped in dog poop!!"
ha ha haaha haa

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

I may have had a small british geography fail.

West Sussex always sounds to me like it's South West (when it's just the west bit of central south, I suppose), but most people in Sussex, Hampshire and perhaps as far west as Dorset (although not the rural areas) speak like that, or have a horrific version of a cockney accent which I'm sure is an affectation. West sussex is my starting point because that's where I used to spend the most time.

By big cities, i didn't mean everyone in them, I meant parts of London, Nottingham, Chester (that one really shocked me), even Cardiff seems (last time I checked) to be picking up the newsreader accent. Across England and south Wales there is a homogenisation of accents happening - newsreader and cockney are spreading like the plague.
edit on 11/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by General.Lee
Now the French, that's another story. They are spineless, smelly ppl and need to learn how to turn on the shower and do laundry.

I take it you are being ironic or else that you haven't been to France and know very little about French history.Do you have any idea what a French CLUB rugby team would do to the US national team?Spineless?I think not.

Smelly? How so?How many Frenchmen have you smelled?Do you smell many nationalities?

Ever heard of Brittany (not Spears).It's an area/province in France.Do you think it's coincidence that it sounds remarkably close to "Britain"?Breton sounds remarkably like Briton does it not.Hmmmmmm, could there be a connection maybe?

Then there's the Normans.What country aside from Ireland did they dominate for quite some time?And where did they come from?Normandy.And where is that?
edit on 11-1-2011 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I don't sit around the house actually dwelling on the British, but, I love you guys.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
No, we hate ourselves much more than we hate anyone else. Even the Islamo-fascists out there are pretty much off the hook when it comes to American hatred.

LOL aint THAT THE TRUTH

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As a Proud Englishman/Brit, I can honestly say, having been all over America, I would rather holiday in Europe. I actually hated being in the US and surrounded by yanks. Yuck.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudtobeEnglish
As a Proud Englishman/Brit, I can honestly say, having been all over America, I would rather holiday in Europe. I actually hated being in the US and surrounded by yanks. Yuck.

I hate you now, LMAO

kidding

But seriously, what did the Americans do that you found so distasteful?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Don't let these people who go back and forth exchanging insults with each other get to you. They like to play the game of "typical American" versus "typical foreigner." Educated people with a bit of common sense don't think this way or act this way.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I hate you now, LMAO

kidding

But seriously, what did the Americans do that you found so distasteful?

The food was crap, the cities were bland, the people were annoying, the scenery was bland, the tv was #.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

Originally posted by stealthyaroura
what is that new fangled really light metal you guys seem
to love so much? you call it aloominum is it like our al-a-min-i-um?
OH that one cracks me up every time like tomato tomateo hurb urb

We pronounce "aluminum" the way it's spelled.

Y'all pronounce "aluminum" as if it were spelled "al-u-min-ium"

Then there's the song, "You say 'toe-may-toe' I say 'toe-mah-toe'...let's call the whole thing off.."

We're the "mays" and y'all are the "mahs"

Lol. Ahloomanum would be how it's spelt based on American pronunciation.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I have to say as a riposte to that, I had an assignment a couple of years ago that sent to me to Newark in America (pronounced New-Ark as opposed to the Newark in the UK) and the people there were so nice it was unreal. As it was a working trip my only interaction outside of work colleagues was with hotel, bar and restaurant staff but the courtesy, work ethic and friendliness was fantastic.
edit on 11-1-2011 by something wicked because: missed a word

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The food was crap, the cities were bland, the people were annoying, the scenery was bland, the tv was #.

You should've gotten past New Jersey.

[Edit to add]

And juxtaposed to the post immediately above,
see, experiences vary.

edit on 1/11/2011 by yeahright because: Edit to add

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

We love the British.. As with any population that is more than 1, you will have people who dislikes / hates for whatever personal reason they have.

I mean aside from that little spat called the Revolutionary war, or the fact your troops torched the White House, we are one in the same.

Some of the advertising here in the States when it comes to visiting the U.K. are quite clever.

One old British Airways advertisemnt was a sign that said "America, all is forgiven. Please come home".

I also think the video here speaks volumes as to how the majority of Americans feel about our family on the other side of the pond. You guys have a kick ass National anthem, and we liked it so much we turned it into one of our patriotic songs. We took one of your drinking songs and used the music from that for our National Anthem.

You Brits have class:

Not to mention a first class sense of humor: I cant see the Marine band getting away with something like this:

So in short, and just like any family, we have our squabbles, we fight, make remarks etc, but in the end and for reasons going back , we would glady lay down in front of the bus for each other.

God Save the Queen / God Bless America

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

You should've gotten past New Jersey.

[Edit to add]

And juxtaposed to the post immediately above,
see, experiences vary.

edit on 1/11/2011 by yeahright because: Edit to add

I did, 7 states in and it was still bad.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudtobeEnglish

Bernie Ecclestone, is that you?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
having been to britain, ireland and most of europe.. i can tell you that most britains are colder and more aloof than the rest of europe. in ireland it seemed like everyone wanted to talk to me. in europe, half were open to me. in britain, it was business or maybe 5% were freindly. that being said. i grew up loving british comedy and rock and roll.

it was when i really started to understand british imperialism in college that i got a bad taste for england. their holocaust in india angered me more than the us revolution and colonial occupation.

id say now that british PEOPLE for the most part are likeable, although a bit drab. but their global imperialist government, and parasitic banking system is truly something for all the world to despise

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudtobeEnglish

Not too sure I agree there.

The nation that really suprised me was Poland.

Both the UK and France, (I know, amazing but true), stood by Poland at outset of WWII.
The UK was home to and provided a base for many Free Poles after Hiltler's invasion.
Many of those Poles chose to stay in the UK after the war, one such person was one of the few teachers I ever had any respect for and was a truly remarkable man who taught English students Maths, Physics, French and German.

Many Poles have chose to use EU employment laws to come to the UK to work and are as a whole treat most decently.

I have visited both Krakow and Warsaw and must say I was suprised at the amount of animosity and at times open agression shown towards me in both cities.
I have been to numerous former Eastern European cities and not received anywhere near that level of dislike, even Belgrade with all the problems that are still occurring there was a far friendlier place.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join