It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyaroura
what is that new fangled really light metal you guys seem
to love so much? you call it aloominum is it like our al-a-min-i-um?
OH that one cracks me up every time like tomato tomateo hurb urb

We pronounce "aluminum" the way it's spelled.

Y'all pronounce "aluminum" as if it were spelled "al-u-min-ium"

Then there's the song, "You say 'toe-may-toe' I say 'toe-mah-toe'...let's call the whole thing off.."

We're the "mays" and y'all are the "mahs"

niv

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've never met an American who had a negative thing to say about Britain. In fact, most seem to like the British. And this is in a country that likes slamming other countries. The only time I hear the opposite is when I'm traveling out of the country where I sometimes hear negative remarks about Britain (mainly the government not the people) but not as many criticisms as are leveled against the US.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I ain't got no beef with brits

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

I had a boyfriend from the mid west, USA who constantly jabbed at stuff like:
Why is there a Queen Anne county? Didn't we win the revolution?
You have a lot of people in the USA who think that bashing is funny. They, unfortunately have watched too many MTV shows like that one that encouraged people to joke on their mothers "You mama is so fat....."
No one has ever told them that its cute for TV, but in places like chats, its not cute.
Plus the way you guys have been going at your government lately, you look more like Americans than Americans! We don't protest anymore, we just take it up the butt. So, IMHO, it could be constipation you are experiencing. Or jealousy! LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I think you can blame lack of education, our mainstream media, and rampant nationalism for the hatred towards the Brits. I, for one, have nothing against you guys. I disagree with how your government is run and that you still have a monarchy. But, that's not really your fault.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Gotta love the RAF banter. "Cabbage crates over the briny"

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by blangger

Perhaps you should read the Murphy Report.Or even a history book, to see what christianity has done in Ireland alone, not to mention the rest of the world.My true colours are always on display.I'm an atheist and I make no apologies to anyone for that.

Instead of employing euphemisms like "piece of work", why don't you show your true colours and say what you really mean.I don't accept chastisement from agents of some fruitcake cult like christianity or any other.If you want to have a debate about this start a new thread.But don't think you are going to intimidate me with idiotic jesusfreak rhetoric.

I refuse to capitalise anything to do with whackjob cults by the way.And you can throw all the hissy fits you want.
edit on 11-1-2011 by blah yada because: afterthought

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I personally like the British people. My heritage is pretty much from Wales (though American born and raised), so the isles are kind of in my history.

And, what you guys went through in WWII....wow, that was impressive.

Nothing but love for the Brits here...(and a gal with a British accent just makes me melt)....
(luckily, my wife can do a pretty passable one)...

(every now and then, you may even see some British spelling slip into my posts...I was schooled by a lot of British teachers when overseas....but I usually catch it and change colour to color, etc.)

edit on 11-1-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I think you are being a little paranoid, when you are on these web sites, you are going to meet dick heads. just because you have met more than your share of dick heads, i think the american people are pro british. i think you need to apologise to the american's.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Tell me, how do americans spell element Na? Sodium, perchance? Or are you trying to tell me it's sodum?

Brits say it Aluminium (not, as the poster you are responding to suggests, alaminium) because that's how we spell it. The "ium" is used in most elements over here.

Just like Helium, Beryllium, Sodium, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Rubidium, Polonium, Titanium, Lawrencium, Uranium...

Does America spell it Helum, Beryllum, Magnesum, Potassum, Calcum, Rubidum, Polonum, Titanum, Lawrencum, Unranum?

Because otherwise, it's just inconsistent. Nothing wrong with inconsistent, but Britain does have a thing for tradition.

reply to post by Mr Knowledge

Considering BSE, that's probably safer.

edit on 11/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with British citizens, but your government is getting pretty scary with its anti-racism. Kids are being reported to the police just for asking if they could work with people that could speak English on school assignments. They seem to bend over backwards to avoid offending any other race, at the expense of British citizens.

You people gave us Douglas Adams, Monty Python, and Simon Pegg, so you're spot on as far as Im concerned.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by TheRedMethod
and lastly, when you say British accent, what does that mean?

I think we can universally agree we mean the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce, Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson accent.

Now that is interesting. I'm not sure how many people in England never mind Britain actually do speak like that apart from the likes of Colin Firth, Hugh Grant etc. when they are working on productions with an American audience in mind. It is however wonderful pronunciation, but as representative of the average Brit as Ringo Starr on Thomas the tank engine.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

South-West (ALERT - I HAD A GEOGRAPHY FAIL AT THIS POINT) and big cities speak that way.

reply to post by rocketman70433

Typically, that's not actually government regulation, but hypersensitive individuals lower down who THINK a law has been broken, when actually it hasn't.
edit on 11/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I love me British mates! Now the French, that's another story. They are spineless, smelly ppl and need to learn how to turn on the shower and do laundry.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I was sort of kidding, but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit a lot of my early exposure to England was watching old movies on late night TV as a kid. I still watch those old Sherlock Holmes movies whenever they come on.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Huh, never thought about it that way.

Take a look:

Aluminum vs. Aluminium

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I will apologize in advance and in the event this post is off topic then feel free to delete at will. But i will point out the obvious, as one of my favorite comedians of all time along with Abbot and Costello and many many more, i feel compelled to share this small video to the community.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill

South-West and big cities speak that way.

reply to post by rocketman70433

Typically, that's not actually government regulation, but hypersensitive individuals lower down who THINK a law has been broken, when actually it hasn't.

Like Basil Rathbone? In the South West, you mean like Norwich or Ipswich????????

'Ahem' I live in Britain and I think the variety of dialect is immense and a pleasure, but I wouldn't say that this particular example covers the 'British' accent - Cardiff? Glasgow? Liverpool? Birmingham? Manchester? Heanor (ok, not a big city)? It's close to Estuary English from which the dreaded perceived pronunciation came from... I'm sure most countries have their own version of what is perceived as the favoured accent to represent them.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Tristar, thanks for that, Dave Allen sometimes seems to be a forgotten giant but the influence he had on comedy should never be forgotten.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

My brother lives in the South West, not a lot of people down there sound like Hugh Grant?

The upper echelons may sound like that (the stereotypical Brit) but you can find them anywhere.

I am English not British, and England is the greatest county in the world!

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join