It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo
reply to post by stewalters1

We don't hate Britts...We hate the French!

You can obviously exclude me from that one.
Vive le France

P.S. ( Would that also include Canadians. Oh i would be cautious on how you answer this question.

On a side note, you obviously don't belong in any diplomatic circle or come into contact with foreigners. I find and as my life has it, i come into an immense amount of foreign nationals and as such, sure some are seriously deprived of culture but then that is were one should excel and understand what perhaps one nations misfortune is,might,can, could be your fortune.

(visa-versa) The phrase is usually used to imply the complement of a statement without expressing as much in words.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Do most americans dislike the british

Some of us "yanks" dislike a person for their manors decorum and all out attitude, not for where they come from.
Ill treat you just as you treat me

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Actually Canada had the most potential of any nation in history.

They could have had the culture of the British, the cuisine of the French and the technology of the Americans.
Instead, they got the culture of the Americans, the cuisine of the British and the technology of the French.

link   
I like british women.

The blokes I could care less, but british women are welcome anyday of the week in my home.

link   
reply to post by blah yada

Calling Christianity a plauge? You really are a true piece of work and show your true colors with that statement.

Originally posted by stewalters1
I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.
Do most americans see the british as a weak spineless nation that can't do anything without american backing, be the backing financial or help to win wars.

I don't hate any country. I have been playing games,online, (before PlayStation online (when people respected each-other)) with them since the late 90's and they remind me so much of us.

If anyone thinks the British are weak and spineless I dare you to confront one of the ones I know. They can be hardcore as they come.

Note: Capitalize names such as America, British, ATS, and etc not only out of respect but it is only correct. Maybe it won't look like a 12 year old wrote this. ( I'm not trying to be a butt-head either)

edit on 11-1-2011 by blangger because: hah

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia
But I don't get what's funny about white. The connotation is going over my head

White flag.

See? It's a surrender thing. German pensioners, WWII era and whatnot. You'd have gotten there eventually.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Hahaha

@ OP, I don't see anything wrong with you brits, you guys are our buddies

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Before the Saxe Coburgs you had the Hanoverian dynasty which was also German.The house of Battenburg under representation of Lord Mountbottom did rather lamely contest for rule.They too were German.You would have to go back to the Stewarts to find anything close an indigenous monarchy (which isn't really any better)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lyrian

Originally posted by alittleironic

I love the brits. I have many british friends here in the US, and afar. Never heard of anyone I know in US hating on the Brits...

And their accent is sexy.

Dear Sir/Madam
Being a British subject I can assure you that you "Americans" have a sexy accent, in the British Isle there are many "accents" you can drive from one little village to another and hear a different accent. My point is this, tho we have many accents over here, some Americans have honed the Art of Speech to a degrading level of understanding.
Call me a Upper-Class-Snob, but to my delicate ears, some Americans,not all, do not seem to realise that TOMATOES are pronounced "TOMaTOES" and not TOEmatoes, and the letter "Z" is not "ZEE", its "Z,d".I could go on and on, which would bore the socks off you, so toodle Pip old boy and Tally Ho.

Do I hate or love Americans? Yes and No, treat me with respect and I will gladly give it back.

BTW:
Americans didn't win the war way back when...they were Britsh subjects "rebelling" against a German King on the British Throne

edit on 11/1/2011 by Lyrian because: (no reason given)
'

Ha! I'm in English classes now and I refuse to say TOMaTOES. By the way.. what in sam hell is toodle Pip old boy and tally ho? lol

Anyway, they may have been British subjects in 1620, but I assure you that by 1781, they were Americans. Too much time had passed where they had children on our shores.
Those children were actually the first. Shout out to the natives! Great people there, would not have been able to live here without the natives, can't stress that enough.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
British,Americans,French ......it's all the same ...good men is a good men regardless of his nationality

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I am a 4th generation born american. I dont hate British or any other peoples worldwide. I do dislike some government leaders but as for the common citizen, hey we are all basically the same, our body structures are pretty much the same, we just reside in differnt parts of the world. Those who are haters of people outside the usa are either racist hogs, or they are rasied religous hogs.
You could also ask, do all canadians hate all americans, because chances are many do.
It misinformation which creates hate towards mankind.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by NadaCambia
But I don't get what's funny about white. The connotation is going over my head

White flag.

See? It's a surrender thing. German pensioners, WWII era and whatnot. You'd have gotten there eventually.

*punches self*

I ought to be ashamed of myself for missing that

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i have to disagree (kinda).

im from Scotland, im not British, im Scottish and im pretty sure alot of Scottish (and English, Irish or Welsh) would agree with that, Britian is barely an allience between countries because most of these countries have been at war with eachother.

I play alot of xbox (im 16 so...) and alot of the americans hate everyone but theirselves, but yet again, they are around the same age.

and lastly, when you say British accent, what does that mean? i can think of atleast 20 accents in Britian off the top of my head.

If anyone has brought up any of these points, im sorry, i just cant be bothered looking through 14 pages of replies to see if someone has posted the same.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by FarArcher

The Brits won't shout.

They will ask politely.

Which just goes to show the difference. Brits are constipated and Americans have diarrhoea.

Somewhere in the middle are us, NZ and OZ.

LMAOfffff........HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dayum, that was funny and so seemingly true....lol...
It's like I kinda envision NZ & Australia just watching what amounts to a perpetual tennis match between UK & US, and every now & then just looking at each other to shrug & giggle

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Really ? Northern Ireland !

so what your saying is The Irish can have their land back ?(Northern Ireland) and the Scot-Irish (Loyalist) can have an option to stay with the Irish be Irish or go back to the U.K. ?

This would be so awesome if only my great grand father could see this ! Ireland as a whole again !

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
In a thread about British / US relationships someone has to claim Irish heritage and bring up Ireland.
So predictable.
So boring.
So mis-informed!

A united Ireland?
There has never been a 'united' Ireland; it comprised of several independant kingdoms with a ceremonial High King.

The vast majority of people in Northern Ireland wish to remain in the UK, including at least 45% of Catholics.
As long as this is the case then Northern Ireland will stay within the UK, this is not negotiable.
Most of the Protestants who live in Northern Ireland came from Scotland, not England, so the resultant hatred that is directed at the English is just sheer ignorance.
Most of the Protestants who live in Northern Ireland descend from families who emigrated there well before the mass Irish emigrations to the US and as such are a damn sight more 'Irish' than the vast majority of 'Irish' or any other type of Americans are American!

Would you agree or advocate a return of Texas to Mexico or Louisiana to France?
Of course not.
But it is no more ignorant, stupid and unlikely as Ulster uniting with The Republic.

And as for 'repatriating' Loyalists?
If suggested about any other ethnic grouping the PC do-gooders would immediately be out and about raving on about 'racism' etc....but it's ok to suggest it about White Anglo-Saxon Protestants?
Hypocrisy and double standards methinks!

1608 to Present
The Troubles
en.wikipedia.org...

(30 years go)
1981 Irish hunger strike
en.wikipedia.org...

Of course there has been some horrific events in Ireland's history.
But it's not all been one-sided you know and your selective cherry picking of events conveniently ignores the deaths of hundreds of innocents, including women and children, by Irish Nationalist terrorists.

The one thing that we Brits do resent was the funding the IRA received from the USA during The Troubles.
This enabled the terrorists to murder more innocent people.
The minute the funding dried up, after the USA experienced it's own piece of terrorism on 9/11, the terrorists were forced to the negotiating table and Northern Ireland has finally been able to start moving forward in relative peace, as it must do if it is to move on from the horror's of the past.

Im Irish , Scottish and Native American and all my ancestors has had a conflict with the English at one time or another.. ......

I'm probably more Irish than the vast majority of people who call themselves Irish-American, I have considerable relatively recent Irish-Catholic ancestry, yet I consider myself exclusively English and wouldn't dream of calling myself something stupid like 'Irish-English'.
Why so many American's insist upon maintaining such practices is a complete mystery to the rest of the world.

I genuinely feel that the UK and Ireland has more in common than that which seperates us.
The ties that bind are old, long and complex.
We should concentrate on that which unites rather than that which divides!

The majority of the world has had conflict with France or Spain before in the past.
And the history books are literally dripping in the blood of the atrocities those two countries committed in the past!
So one has to ask why the pre-occupation with England and Britain?

Tho.. England..aka British Isles had been invaded by The Romans , The Germanic Tribes Anglo-Saxon and The Normans...

Mainland Britain has not been successfully invaded since 1066, nearly a thousand years ago, far longer than any other major Western nation.
That fact alone speaks volumes about the British people and their nature, especially when considering the relativley small size it is and what it achieved.

America would not be America as it is today we would be speaking Spanish or Dutch or even the French ... England had Influence the World so much they had in actuality Owned a third of it ! Hitler tried to make the Attempt Spain almost did .. what is the Most Universal language again? and its Not Latin anymore ?

Indeed.

Many have tried....and failed.

Its NOT the English its their Government I have a problem with.. as many English has a problem with their OWN government as the U.K is becoming a Big brother Surveillance Nation that George Orwell would turn over into his grave if he saw it himself ! CCTV, Metro Police Orwellian Posters etc..

My government disgusts and appalls me.
But so has every one since I can recall being aware of such matters.

Unfortunately I haven't got all the answers, just lot's of questions.

Whilst I am concerned about the way things are going in the UK thing's aren't as bad as they are portrayed and we Brits have a long tradition of standing up for ourselves when we've had enough.

I for one have a genune affinity for Americans, despite there being aspects of 'Americanism' that I dislike and as I have said several times before both in the 'real' world and here on ATS, the world would be a far worse place without the US and what it has contributed to world and human development.

But you Yanks really need to develop the ability to laugh at yourselves and realise when people are just taking the piss and having a giggle.

Sorry for the rant, was bored and lot's of time on my hands.
edit on 11/1/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"Gun's don't kill people,idiodic constatution's do".

This was a statement made by a poster(neonitus) on the SkinRipper thread who say's they are from the UK.

I don't think much about you people tell one of you make's a statement about another country and how they have chosen to survive in this world and it is mostly always rude.The one thing i do think about the UK is if I was missfortunate enough to have to live there I would be learning Arabic real soon because your country with all it's wisdom is about to become a real scary place to be,point being,maybe you should be concerned about how the Muslim's feel about you and not American's.

YA THINK MATE!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
what is that new fangled really light metal you guys seem
to love so much? you call it aloominum is it like our al-a-min-i-um?
OH that one cracks me up every time like tomato tomateo hurb urb

You have to realise us Brits use swear words and obscenities as a
language extension. not only as funny put downs but also we may say things
that may sound offensive but there not meant to be taken literally. we love
taking the piss in england.
when we really dont like someone we just call them a C word.

so Toss pot,Toss bag, wanker, tosser, wank features,ball bag
all the endless combinations are used in jest, the more creative
the better.
I often here you yanks (and we just call you this cos what else is there?)
you Don't get our sense of Humour OR you love it?

well i must introduce you to some "MIGHTY BOOSH" this my friends is
British comedy at it's finest. it has a cult following and i see many members
use "the Boosh" in there avatars or there clever word play.
I see if i can sort a decent link out. or you could just youtube it.also note one of the Boosh is Rich Fulcher USA.

edit on 11/1/2011 by stealthyaroura because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/1/2011 by stealthyaroura because: to add rich fulcher as a great example of brits & yanks working together to create comedy genius

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedMethod
and lastly, when you say British accent, what does that mean?

I think we can universally agree we mean the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce, Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson accent.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I am a Brit (well Cornish but I kinda counts lol) and have made some good friends here on ATS. Out of the American forums I have been a member of, this one makes me feel most welcome.

Don't take too much to heart my fellow countryman, all is well although I am sure that sometimes US members may feel the same way when visiting UK based forums etc.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac1754c1ea0e.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Piers Morgan is a schlock merchant who is the former editor of The Sun and other red top gibberish publications designed to keep the British populace in a state of perpetual ignorance.And now this tripe-peddlar is taking Larry King's place on CNN so he can poison American minds with his "Cor Blimey wink and nudge" drivel.

He is to the proletariat/cannon fodder/dole-yob classes, what Edward Bernays was to the American consumer

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join