It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spungy

I am truly sorry that you feel that way. I cannot undo what is now the past. However, as an Englishman, I have always had the utmost respect for the Irish and am proud to be able to count a number of Irish gentlemen as friends. Uneductated? Certainly not. Some of the brightest engineers I know hear are from Dublin and Donegal.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spungy
Everybody in the world hates the English. You took our languages, denyed us educatiuon, re-wrote our history and made us all slaves.
edit on 11-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

Don't forget that we also made you celebrate the Englishman that is St Patrick once a year too

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

St patrick was french... And no I dont celebrate anything to do with christianity

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
Whaaaa....???

I thought everbody was supposed to hate us Americans?

I've never heard of anybody "hating" a Brit, much less myself.

The only Brit-bashing I can recall was that between other Brits, namely Caucasian Brits and those of Middle Eastern descent, and the derogatory remarks weren't even made on ATS.

The only thing I can recall between Americans and Brits on ATS is Brits calling Americans "Yanks" or something like that. I always figured it was either from "Yankee" or "Wanker" or a combination of both. I assume wanker means a dude's private parts, so I figured we were just being called d*cks or something. Not to be confused with the British dish called "spotted dick"....which sounds more like a venereal disease than a dessert you're suppose to eat.

Regardless, I've always viewed the UK same as us except on another continent.
I've always figured there were way more Brits that didn't like Americans than the other way around.

Hi there, slowly reading through the thread so someone may have beaten me to this. The w word you mention above is slang for someone who is thought to masturbate more than is healthy - surprised it got past the mods even though it's been used innocently!!

I'm a Brit although my family tree takes in a lot of Europe. I always thought the term Yank came from Yankee which is an American term?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

"To still have him as a friend and to love him as such is a gift in itself. Love is the most beautiful thing in the whole of creation, you are, therefore a very lucky man to know true love my friend. I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for.

May God bless you and peace be with you."

Thank you.

Oh, the Mellotron...well you'd be better off just Googling it. It's was the first "sampling" keyboard created in the 60's no less. It had little reels of tape that ran under each key. It was that spooky string section sound on the Moody Blues "Knights In White Satin". People are obsessed with it to this day...... And yes, I was in a band in the 70's that had one. (The Guy From England was our sound man).

edit on 11-1-2011 by warza because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by warza because: reply clarification

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

St patrick was french... And no I dont celebrate anything to do with christianity

Saint patrick was born and bred in somerset England actually

French indeed!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Yes I understand that you cannot change the past but you can change the present.. Ask that question to anybody in Iraq or Afgainastan.. You are doing to them now what you did to us 200 years ago.
I understand its not you but unless we do something about it they will be doing it for the next 200 years.

If we last that long..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I think that it is awesome that at my last family reunion, I learned that my family migrated from Britain in the 1600's. So that should be the answer from this american you are after.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spungy

As I am no longer a UK resident, I suppose I cannot. However, please do not hate a Nation of people just because its government is misguided.

Oh, as a point of note, please do not think that your rich and ancient tounge is dead. It is one of the most ancient European languages still in existance. I would love to see its large scale revival.

edit on 11/1/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

In ireland we were told that he was born in "An bhreatan beag" which is wales. whereever in wales it seems to be within 60 miles of the coast as he walked to the coast to go to sea. where he was smuggled into ireland as a sheep herder.
This is the story as we are thought it in school.
so in reality it could be different

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by spungy

If it was that close, it may have been Ynys Mon western coast as it is the shortest route.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

You do get those here... especially on the South Coast, so far as I've seen. America may have the biggest share of obesity, but it doesn't have a monopoly on it.

reply to post by monkofmimir

In fairness, the reason that you hear a lot of nations complained about in Britain is that we do have to take a break from moaning about the weather occasionally.

Besides, I for one don't hate the American politicians... they make me feel better about ours. Sarah Palin even made Nick Griffin seem almost well balanced... well, no, actually, I tell a lie. Nick Griffin almost makes Sarah Palin look sane.

(Oh, and by the way... s-t-e-r-e-o-t-y-p-e)

reply to post by Smack

As far as individual Brits go, or any individual of any nationality for that matter — If you love liberty, Justice and Peace then you're a friend to me.

I think some of us have issues on how your government's definitions of those may vary from ours, as individuals (and lets face it, the government is typically the loudest ambassador of any country). On paper, a very nice sentiment, though.

reply to post by stupid girl

I believe the term Yankee actually originated in America, to describe New Englanders, and became particularly popular in the UK during WWII when your fighter pilots came over here and got the wives of british servicemen pregnant... it's not (these days) used primarily to offend, rather, it's used in the same way that some cultures call the english "Poms".

reply to post by Advantage

Promise. But if just one of you judges me based on a Jeremy Kyle guest, I will tar you all with the Palin brush.

When I first channel flipped to ITV at the wrong time of day and saw an episode of Jeremy Kyle, I firmly believed that they were all paid actors.

For any americans basing the UK on Jeremy Kyle's guests, while we would describe such people as "Common", they're only really a visible majority late at night, near city centers. The rest of the time, they're sleeping off their hangovers or breeding.

And they're chavs. Nobody likes chavs. Even chavs dislike chavs, and call the chavviest ones pikeys to point out their chavviness.

reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

The Brits won't shout.

They will ask politely.

Now, that's a stereotype that earns you star, despite being off the mark.

We may not all be drunken hobags (as per many of our holidaymakers abroad and Channel 4 shows) or racist far-rightists (e.g. Nick Griffin and the BNP), but we're not all leftist apologists, either.

reply to post by HUMBLEONE

I love everybody! What is a "tosser"....I'm guessing it has to do with "wanking"? Or are tossing and wanking two totally different things? An American "fanny" is not the same as a British "fanny", so don't get the two confused, it could get you into alot of trouble depending on what side of the pond you are on. British? Are the English British? Of course you could be a Scot or a Welchman and I guess you wouldn't want to be called English would you? How the hell could you not love the British? Who gave you this information! Americans not loving the British? Poppycock and boulderdash I say! Cheerio, pip pip and all that rot!

Tosser = wanker.

Fanny = ladyparts in the UK... hence what you call a fanny-pack, we call a bum-bag. A fanny-pack sounds kind of like a tampon to me.

British = resident to residents of Great Britain (The big island, comprising Wales, Scotland, England and Cornwall,), or any of the surrounding Islands. These are collectively known as the British Isles... including, among others, the Isle of Mann, Isle of Wight, Isle of Skye, Shetland Islands, Channel Islands, and Ireland. Eire, though part of Ireland and thus Britain, is not a member of the United Kingdom, in much the same way that Canada is part of north America, and thus Canadians can be called American, but they are not part of the U.S.

And it's Balderdash, by the way.

Toodle pip.

reply to post by roguetechie

Erm, we are allowed to have guns, without licenses, so long as nobody can make a good case (in court) for us being dangerous. Shotguns.

Nanny state we may be, and there have been some incidents of chavs beating up fire crews and paramedics... but don't pretend that there is a nation in the world without its share of scumbags. Great Britain is a small island with a big population, so people, scumbags and otherwise, are more concentrated.

And we're allowed to own just about any type of knife - in fact, we're allowed to carry full on swords around with us, provided that they are sheathed. carrying concealed knives over a certain length, however, is not allowed. Which, considering some of the knife crime in this country, is fair enough in my opinion.

And one more thing - the nanny culture is a way of getting around the accountability culture that we imported from the US. If we officially say "don't run in the playground", then a mother whose child falls over and grazes its knees can't sue us. Mostly (although not exclusively) it's private organisations that go to insane lengths to enforce such measures, not the government itself.

reply to post by spungy

Not before the Romans made them slaves. Also, in Loziland (western province of Zambia), slavery was around long before the english came along. The english had english slaves before they started importing them, and when they did start importing them, they were often sold to the english by their (the slaves) countrymen. Early slaves taken to the US were also more along the lines of indentured rather than enslaved - they were immigrants who paid for their passage with future years of their lives, and when they had worked through those years, they were free.

(EDIT - noted that you're Irish. I don't know the ins and outs of Irish slavery, but on behalf of one eighth of my ancestry, I apologise. another eighth of me accepts my apology, and hopes you do, too).

The english didn't invent the market, and by the time it escalated to the slavery that everyone remembers, it was naturalised Americans that had the real edge. The english did it too, but they were far from the only ones. And they got rid of it earlier than a lot of people, by the way.
edit on 11/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

This is stupid because the modern day average british person doesn't share the same views our ancestors did, regardless of what our ancestors did it has nothing to do with us in this day and age.

Really ? Northern Ireland !

so what your saying is The Irish can have their land back ?(Northern Ireland) and the Scot-Irish (Loyalist) can have an option to stay with the Irish be Irish or go back to the U.K. ?

This would be so awesome if only my great grand father could see this ! Ireland as a whole again !

1608 to Present
The Troubles
en.wikipedia.org...

(30 years go)
1981 Irish hunger strike
en.wikipedia.org...

The second hunger strike took place in 1981 and was a showdown between the prisoners and the Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher. One hunger striker, Bobby Sands, was elected as a Member of Parliament during the strike, prompting media interest from around the world.[2] The strike was called off after ten prisoners had starved themselves to death—including Sands, whose funeral was attended by 100,000 people.[1] The strike radicalised nationalist politics, and was the driving force that enabled Sinn Féin to become a mainstream political party

Im Irish , Scottish and Native American and all my ancestors has had a conflict with the English at one time or another.. Tho.. England..aka British Isles had been invaded by The Romans , The Germanic Tribes Anglo-Saxon and The Normans... America would not be America as it is today we would be speaking Spanish or Dutch or even the French ... England had Influence the World so much they had in actuality Owned a third of it ! Hitler tried to make the Attempt Spain almost did .. what is the Most Universal language again? and its Not Latin anymore ?

Its NOT the English its their Government I have a problem with.. as many English has a problem with their OWN government as the U.K is becoming a Big brother Surveillance Nation that George Orwell would turn over into his grave if he saw it himself ! CCTV, Metro Police Orwellian Posters etc..

Police State Britain
policestatebritain.blogspot.com...

Is the UK the Most surveilled country" in the world ?

Mass Surveillance
en.wikipedia.org...

I called this a Police State Race! LOL
Brits Vs Americans

Similar to the Space race of US & Russia (USSR)

The REALITY

Metropolitan Police Department (website)
mpdc.dc.gov...|31748|.asp

Stasi London: Fearmongering reaches new heights in England - SPECIAL REPORT
www.prisonplanet.com...

New Stasi style UK Anti-Terror campaign encourages reporting your neighbors
Plus anything suspicious, including refunds to credit cards, using garages or renting vehicles
www.infowars.net...

and America is catching up..
edit on 11-1-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I don't care for their form of government or their observance of and adherence to the notion that Royalty as a concept has any intrinsic value of place in the modern world, but other than that, I the people of the GB, Scotland, and Ireland to be lovely, charming people, on the whole.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Actually St Patrick was Welsh.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Heck no!

The british are tops to me. (as is all of UK)

Books, actors, movies, technology, war mates, robin hood, 007, border collies,Dr. Who,Graig Fergurson,and

fish and chips.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewalters1
I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.
Do most americans see the british as a weak spineless nation that can't do anything without american backing, be the backing financial or help to win wars.

I am a british person and i love america i have family there and would prefer to be a 51st state of america than a european state.
My feelings are changing after tacking a bashing from some american members of ats. One guy even blamed the british for his ancestors being brutalised in some war way back.

This is stupid because the modern day average british person doesn't share the same views our ancestors did, regardless of what our ancestors did it has nothing to do with us in this day and age.

I don't really like the british government and disagree with allot of their agendas but its like people think the british government makes decisions and that all the british people agree and that we are all tossers!!

When president bush was saying stupid things on the television i didnt think the whole of america is dumb as hell like him.

Does anybody see my point?

Then maybe you should go to America. Because we are a European nation. And most Brits don't like Yank-beggars. It's people like you to blame for half the problems we're in.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Its the dental hygiene thing I don't get.
2 of my closest friends are from London and my lord are their teeth crooked and dirty.
Is it just me?!

Considering British children have the best teeth in the world I'd say it's just you.

Many Americans confuse veneers and fillings with having good dental health. It's a fallacy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't hate the British. I do dislike that you can't interchange DVD's and electronics and that I tend to adopt the accent when ever I am with my British friends for more than a couple hours. Manchester United Rules!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The only people who have a problem with Britain on ATS are those who have been led to believe we have all been converted to islam.

Or the ones who think that we can't sit down and have a poo without an intrusive and marauding cctv camera peering in on our dump.

While the high-profile number of cctv cameras in Britain is a bit of a worry, I can't help to get irritated by some Americans who seem to be under the misapprehension that Britain is a ''police state'', at the same time that their country is meekly bending-over in a way that wouldn't be tolerated in Britain !

edit on 10-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

Britain is a police state. There isn't a nation on earth that comes close to us in that regard. The only people who seem to be under any other impression are those who think the idea is anti-British. It's just truth. Plain and simple.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join