It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The British don't believe in having a right to their own life.

History tends to not favor people who don't stand up for themselves. Britain and Australia are a lost cause and will soon succumb to foreign powers. They didn't learn from their history books.

I don't hate British folk, I just have pity on them for abandoning the Magna Carta to retain their rights. Poor chaps.

The saddest British story I recently heard was a little old lady running a pet store was arrested and jailed for selling a gold fish to a minor. Seems you can only sell gold fish to adults in that nanny state. Seriously punished for minor infractions in the nanny state.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

I agree. I am nearly 50 and still play World of Warcraft. I was commenting on those that play on line and insult others. Sorry if the comment came across wrong.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

We Brits are a Nation of people who, through hard times, are chin up, make the best of a bad job and get on with it. The Gov have taken advantage of this social trait and screwed the UK good and proper.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpunGCake
i dont see anywhere hate signs of the british. in fact i love them they gave us many things on tv. Dr. Who, Absolutly Fabulous, Red Dwarf, Top Gear. just to name a few. guess i dont know much else about british people except i like the way they talk. to answer your question no we dont hate you.

I do like the British comedies too. Love the Bean movies with Rowan Atkinson. He's too funny.
There use to be a sit-com I liked, came on later at night here called (I think) "Are You Being Served" Looked like it was probably from the 1970's. It was always a nice way to end the day. Use to like to get in bed with a snack and watch it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Obama hates Britain and prefers the frogs it seems

Barack Obama has declared that France is America’s greatest ally, undermining Britain’s Specia Relationship with the U.S. The President risked offending British troops in Afghanistan by saying that French president Nicolas Sarkozy is a ‘stronger friend’ than David Cameron The remarks, during a White House appearance with Mr Sarkozy, will reinforce the widely-held view in British diplomatic circles that Mr Obama has less interest in the Special Relationship than any other

Source

edit on 11-1-2011 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

Are you Free, Mrs Slocom. Oh, Er.
When I look back at it, wow, camp or what? Still, harmless gentle fun.
I still watch the Young Ones and Bottom oh and Father Ted.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
the only point at which SOME brits raise the hackles of me and the people I know is when they are of the belief that because they're not allowed to have guns no one should have them. Or when they get into some rant about how the UK is better run or a better place to be....

Quite frankly I'd move to Afpak before I'd move to the NK (Nanny Kingdom formerly known as britian england et al). Your freedoms are ridculously trod upon, your government is talking about having your paychecks sent to them first and THEY'LL DECIDE WHAT TO GIVE YOU, your countrymen beat the p*** out of the ambulance drivers that come to pick up their bleeding and sometimes dying friends after bar brawls....( and don't tell me that's not common as I've seen the POSTERS they put in UK drinking establishments fairly begging supposed ADULTS to not beat up the ambulance crew)

The UK is one step from being an island wide DAY CARE CENTER, and most of the brits I know don't even want to be there at this point. Oh and on that note when brits tell US we NEED to get control of OUR government I just want to scream at them to go register their BUTTER knives and SHUT UP.

It's pretty pathetic really how far all of us have let our country's fall into his morass of stolen individual liberty for government supervised interaction, but the brits telling us to get control of ours is a bit laughable considering what they've let happen in their own backyard.

All this said I don't hate brits but you guys do have some loud mouths that I wouldn't mind beating like an ambulance driver (in your native parlance)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by maybee

Are you Free, Mrs Slocom. Oh, Er.
When I look back at it, wow, camp or what? Still, harmless gentle fun.
I still watch the Young Ones and Bottom oh and Father Ted.

Maybe I'll look for some of the others you mentioned on DVD. I don't think the channel still airs Are You Being Served, here. I hope it is also on DVD as well.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewalters1
I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.
Do most americans see the british as a weak spineless nation that can't do anything without american backing, be the backing financial or help to win wars.

I am a british person and i love america i have family there and would prefer to be a 51st state of america than a european state.
My feelings are changing after tacking a bashing from some american members of ats. One guy even blamed the british for his ancestors being brutalised in some war way back.

This is stupid because the modern day average british person doesn't share the same views our ancestors did, regardless of what our ancestors did it has nothing to do with us in this day and age.

I don't really like the british government and disagree with allot of their agendas but its like people think the british government makes decisions and that all the british people agree and that we are all tossers!!

When president bush was saying stupid things on the television i didnt think the whole of america is dumb as hell like him.

Does anybody see my point?

Unfortunately, on this topic, the pendulum swings both ways. I see just as many anti-American threads from UK members as I do anti-UK threads from American members. It's a lack of understanding between the people of these two great nations. I find it rather disturbing that there is still this animosity in this day and age. I blame the respective medias of these two countries for a lot of the hatred that is presented.

What does any of this internet posturing do? What end does this hate serve?

We are all in this together, regardless of ethnicity, sex, country, etc.

I think England is one of the most beautiful countries that I have seen (in pictures of course). My cousin moved there a decade ago, and never came back because he fell in love with the lifestyle there.

I just don't understand the anger.

Put bluntly and simply: people need to grow up and throw away these judgmental attitudes. It serves no purpose other than pulling us further apart.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

I hear what you say. Quite simply, it is easier to sh1t on someone elses doorstep than your own. That is why some people loudmouth off at other Nations. Don't take it personally, I think it is human nature.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Seems to me you believe far too much of the inane bollocks which the dumbed down masses of both our countries are drip fed.
Don't ever give up on us Brits, or Aussies, we are very much at our best when our backs are against the wall, as many nations and heads of state have found out to their cost.
Perhaps a little honest self-examination wouldn't go amiss.

America is a young country and is still flexing it's muscles and finding it's way in the world; like most prodigal son's it will return to the fold and we will welcome it with open arms.

link   
I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks the term "British" means.In my opinion it is a hijacked term.It used to be a term describing a Celtic people, the Britons.

Today it seems to mean Anglo-Saxon, and is geographically used as a blanket term.It is today a politically engineered term,where Boudica is renamed Britannia, and is signified by the Union Jack (or Butchers Apron as it's known in some countries), which is an amalgamation of cross flags from Scotland,Wales,England and Ireland.

The term is so corrupted and far from it's original meaning that the Irish refuse to be known by it.Many Scots and Welsh are rejecting the term and even have their own national parliaments now."British" has become synonymous with colonialism,war and bloodshed for a lot of people.Most of My English friends have ditched the term and refer to themselves as English.

The term British was used as a form of propaganda to get people, particularly Welsh and Scots, to fight and die in wars started by the Royal Family, their corporation the "Crown" and their lapdog parliament at Westminster.

I think many Americans who dislike the "British",are repulsed by the sycophantic royalist ones who pander to the Saxe Coburg Goethe branch of the system of royal families that have plagued Europe for centuries.They fawn at the feet of tyrants and want everyone else to bear the same yoke.This is a pathetic class indeed, but also a dwindling one.

link   
reply to post by maybee

Amazon is your best friend there mate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

I'm and American, and I can tell you that I and anyone I've ever met do not feel that way at all. My friends in fact have called me an "Anglophile"
I'm not sure if that applies, but I take it as a compliment.

I grew up in the US midwest and have lived here all my life. I love WI, for the scenery and the changes of season, but I do not relate to my culture at all. Most of the only radio I listen to is the BBC over the Internet. My favorite music is almost entirely British.....I HATED that American Bluecollar rock sound in the 70's and 80's. My taste were all bands like Yes, Genesis, Sweet, TRex, Japan. All Brit bands.

Most of the TV shows and movies I watch are British. I don't like the "dumbed down" American cynical violence and sense of humor. Occasionally I treat myself to taking "roadtrips" around England by playing around with Google Street View maps. I stare into the car and shop windows and try to figure out what those peoples lives and experiences must be like. (Hope that doesn't sound weird. I do have a real life as well.....)

I have cousins from England that came over to live in America in the 60's. This was just when the Beatles were appearing. I was, I think, in Kindergarden at the time, but I was entranced by their accents and stories. My oldest cousin (she is passed on now) used to hang out with the Beatles at the Cavern club, and had the pictures to prove it. Some of my best early memories are of my sister and I playing air guitar with Tennis rackets with my cousins to the Beatle records they brought over. I remember they had a little plastic thing that went in the hole so you could play them on our US record players.

Years later through some friends, fate would happen to have it that I fell deeply in love with a British guy, who had just moved here. He was a BEAR among men with a huge beard and the deepest Shaun Connery voice you ever heard. His sexy accent, wit and stories about THE ROAD in rock and roll, won me over. I had never met anyone remotely like him before. Who could have resisted?
He had just relocated here to start a new life, and had worked with some of the biggest rock acts of the 70's. He needed a place to stay until he got established, so after being introduced to me through mutual friends - he ended up staying with me for a couple of years. Those were some of the best, most valuable experiences of my life. I fell for him hard, and he was THE love of my life. I would do anything for him to this day.

Unfortunately, things weren't in the stars. He wasn't gay. We almost lost a life long friendship over it, but you learn lessons and learn to grow with things, or lose all. He and his wife are dear and close friends with my partner and I now. ( I will let you in on a little secret and tell you that yes, even in my 50's he is STILL the object of most of my fantasies, and I still measure all other men by him). I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but I would not trade my life's memories with that Guy From England for anything.

So, yeah! Before I die, one of the things I want most is to go to Britain. God, how I wish I could live there for awhile. Welcome friend!

edit on 11-1-2011 by warza because: Grammatical changes, and topic clarification

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Lol, hope they don't expect The Frogs to watch their backs every time they decide to shoot at someone!

We'll do mighty fine with our Aussie, Kiwi and Canadian friends who have never let us down and are always there whenever it counts....and from the start!
edit on 11/1/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I love the UK and the British people...I was just in London last month on holiday.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Also, how could anyone hold anything against the Brits? They invented the Mellotron

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by warza

To still have him as a friend and to love him as such is a gift in itself. Love is the most beautiful thing in the whole of creation, you are, therefore a very lucky man to know true love my friend. I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for.

May God bless you and peace be with you.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by warza

Okay, I am a Brit. I have obviously been away from the UK too long. What is that????

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Everybody in the world hates the English. You took our languages, denyed us educatiuon, re-wrote our history and made us all slaves.
edit on 11-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by spungy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join