It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Stop Flu Shot: Hope for a Universal Influenza Vaccine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I am no MD, but have you ever considered just getting the pneumonia vaccine--which would likely combat the most harsh side effects of the seasonal/ OR the "name of the year----select, select, select. flu"?

I have a great-Auntie in her 90s that obstains from the flu shot but takes the pneumonia shot annually or as advised by her doctors (eek-my urging ????) ; she is quite a party person and it seems to work for her????
edit on 10-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1

I am no MD, but have you ever considered just getting the pneumonia vaccine--which would likely combat the most harsh side effects of the seasonal/ OR the "name of the year----select, select, select. flu"?

Oh, I've had that as well, although it only protects against bacterial pneumonia, not viral (or the other way around, I can't remember.) I'm not old (well, not like your Aunt, lol), I just have some degenerative lung problems that make any respiratory infections rather serious.

When you see statements like "46,000 people die from the flu every year", those people are mostly either really old, really young, or those like me. The average Joe doesn't run a big risk from most flus, though anyone can die from it if things don't go well.
edit on 10-1-2011 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Oh, I've had that as well, although it only protects against bacterial pneumonia, not viral (or the other way around, I can't remember.) I'm not old (well, not like your Aunt, lol), I just have some degenerative lung problems that make any respiratory infections rather serious.

Yikes...she suffers from COPD??? Which, by all accounts, is a progressive respiratory problem...no other ailments to date (think we can credit that from, tsk, tsk, her years of smoking chem. cigarettes) but please do look into this a little closer because I think that once the virus OR bacteria *really* become dangerous against your lungs it is effective against both (at least in her case > 15 years). Of course, this is MD determined, and case-by-case, unless you are a strong proponent for flu shots, anyways......

I made sure my children had the *normal* childhood vax, but I did demand that they were *MERCURY* and long-list of things to name here FREE. The Pediatricians, etc. have hated me to this day.....as many special ordersl accommodations, etc, were to be made, but they benefitted in the long run, or so I thought! OH, well, ......

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1
Of course, this is MD determined, and case-by-case, unless you are a strong proponent for flu shots, anyways......

Well, I'm not going to go into the personal details of my condition, but yes, I have taken the shots that my doctor recommends, including the flu shot. Shots aside, I'm just a proponent of not getting sick, particularly when it's a bit more serious than an inconvenience.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join