It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Of 9 Year Old Murder Victim In Tucson Does Not Want Restrictions Of Freedoms!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I am not for limiting freedoms but seriously the only reason a person ever needs a gun is to hit or kill someone else. I know most peoplewill say it is self protection but this a circular argument because if other people did not have gunes you would not need one to protect yourself.

The problem is that you don't need a gun to kill someone. Guns just make it a bit easier.

If someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night armed with a hunting knife or a machete, a gun may be useful in protecting yourself.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I am not for guns at all. In fact I wish they had never been created. I am not for limiting freedoms but seriously the only reason a person ever needs a gun is to hit or kill someone else. I know most peoplewill say it is self protection but this a circular argument because if other people did not have gunes you would not need one to protect yourself.

None of us are immune or unsympathetic toward the immense loss suffered by this family.

Even If it was even possible to legislatively remove guns from society .You are woman; Do you think a 300lb male needs a gun to assault you? Do you realize a gun and the mindset and training to use it evens the playing field giving you the opportunity to maintain your life and rights to your body.

So you see banning guns doesn't reduce the threat to you only decreases your ability to defend against any number of different versions of violent assault.

I am not sure why people feel they need them for protection when I am a single women who lives in alone in a city with a high crime rate. I have never ONCE needed a gun.

"God forbid" you ever can't come here make that claim.It only takes once. Not every women lives in such a comfortable situation.Advocating removal of guns makes a potentially life changng decision for those other women too.

Originally posted by dreamseekerI am all for tighter gun restrictions such as limiting the purchase of guns to people who are mentally unstable

There are already provisions on the federal forms asking the purchaser about their mental state.which proves the absurdity of the "administrative mind".

, too young or did not take a class on proper gun safety.All persons who want a gun must take a course. I mean they require people to take classes to be a foster parent or for some home ownership programs why not for a gun?
I am not sure how to really resolve the gun issue or people's inate tendcy towards voilence besides education. We need to educate the youth on peaceful methods of resolution. I am paficist, I fight with my words not with my fists or this case a gun.

You 've just never been put in a situation where the rapist isn't dazzled by your wit.
( and neither have I
)
The only time you really "need" a gun is that exact situation where witty argument is not pursuasive enough.
edit on 10-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Amazing strength and fortitude in such horrible circumstance. To not lose one's mind and lash out? I'm so glad I saw this because I had really lost all hope.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

While I respect you for seeing, knowing of, and posting about the evil that guns can be I have to say, that's a pretty naive post. I mean no disrespect so, please do not take it as such.

The fact is, we're at a time in the world where the average man is A LOT smarter than the average man of even just 100 years ago. Even if by some miracle all the world leaders got together tomorrow and somehow destroyed every single last gun on the planet, it still would not be the end of guns. People will still have problems with others and some will look to violence to solve them. Sure, they may not be anymore guns on the planet at this point but, I assure you someone, some average guy, has the know-how to make some jerry-rigged hand cannon and now he's the only guy with a gun. That's great.

As for you're argument that guns owned for self protection are also just as bad. I'd have to say that's kind of silly, Anyone (that is, any sane, normal, well-adjusted human) that owns a gun expressly for self-defense purposes most likely isn't going to go on a killing spree much less ever use the gun.

Basically, technology has advanced to the point where we simply cannot afford to not have guns. We need them because someone else definitely has them too and if we didn't, you could bet your ass they'd be using their guns against us.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This is just how goofy these clowns are. I wonder if its possible we are being punished by God for tolerating these people.

Westboro church calls off protest of girl's funeral

The Westboro Baptist Church has agreed not to picket a nine-year-old girl's funeral in exchange for airtime on radio stations in Arizona and Toronto.

The WBC is a Christian group with an extreme anti-homosexual agenda based out of Topeka, Kan., and headed by Pastor Fred Phelps.

With just 70 or so members, mostly from Phelps's family, the group has drawn widespread attention for protesting the funerals of soldiers, politicians and murder victims, arguing their deaths are God's punishment for North America's sins.

The group had planned to picket Thursday's funeral for nine-year-old Christina Taylor Green in Tucson, Ariz. Green was one of six people killed in a shooting rampage Saturday that left Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords fighting for her life.

But the group agreed to call off the protest in exchange for airtime on 102.1 The Edge in Toronto and KXXT-AM in Phoenix, Ariz.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I watched some of the procession footage and they had an interview w/the Dad, I have two young teenage daughters, I was in tears and outraged when I saw the small casket. I so wish we could give her Dad a minute or two alone with this POS

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The Dad really is something. What a guy. I doubt many of us could have that kind of perspective in his situation..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I most definately agree with Mr. Green and company that regardless of what is going on now we absolutely must not ever relinquish any rights as that will go against everything this nation stands for.

As I've posted previously, why should freedoms or the doc itself suffer on an the account of a moron?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Let me ask you this - if this nut-case had drove a car into the crowd (killing and maiming far more people than he could have with a firearm), would we now be hearing calls for more restrictions on cars? No! Because our (so called) leaders know that gun control has nothing to do with crime control. There are far more people killed and maimed by cars, than there are by firearms, but I don't recall ever hearing of "Car Control Incorporated". There is no Constitutional right to own or possess an automobile (or any other conveyance), but we do have a Constitutional right to "keep and bear"arms. If you choose not to have a firearm that is your right, but do you think that you have the right to deny me my rights? I don't like golf or tennis, but I don't feel it's my right to say that others shouldn't have it. Before you say "that's different", you might want to take into consideration that golf clubs were originally a weapon of war. People were killing each other in large numbers long before firearms became available. The only difference was, now the weak and meek could be just as powerful as the strong and war-like.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join