It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XWave iPhone Accessory Channels Your Brain Waves into iPhone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I find this both highly fascinating, as well as a little spooky at the same time. lol.

A brainwave / consciousness interfacing iPhone?

I actually think this type of neurotechnology is going to be the way of the future. On the one hand is super cool to see the advances in these techs, but on the other hand (and towards the tail end of this article and descriptions of what this tech is capable of) it has some potentially spooky possibilities.

If this can read and decode 'facial expressions' and 'moods', what's to say this may not go into some of the spy cams popping up all over the place and be used almost like a potential 'thought crime' profiling device?

So overall I have mixed feelings on this one.

Maybe ATSers can chime in here...Thoughts?

Do your friends complain that you can’t pull your eyes away from your iPhone? Well, if you get the new XWave by PLX Devices, then you might have trouble pulling your brain away, too. The peripheral, released in November for $99, brings an EEG-based brain-computer interface (BCI) to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad users at an affordable price. Based on NeuroSky’s Mindset, XWave gives you the power to manipulate various apps with brain rhythms. While you can’t text or browse the web with it yet, the XWave represents an important step in bringing BCI to the masses. Also, with the falling cost and increasing spatial resolution of brain-imaging technology, it’s exciting to ponder what powerful BCI devices we’ll be able to get for $99 in the future.

Similar to other products based on the NeuroSky Mindset, the XWave applies an algorithm to your brain rhythms to convert them to meditation and attention values. If your rating in either of these categories is high enough, you can manipulate variables on the screen. Previous applications of this technology have been computer games, toys, and even youth Jedi training. While BCI for the consumer market is nothing new, XWave is the first device that combines NeuroSky technology with a widely adopted platform, opening the door to large scale exposure to BCI. Also, it has some cool apps to boot.

For those new to NeuroSky, there’s a starter app called XWave. It takes a little practice to get in sync with your brainwaves, so this app instills the basic neurophysiological skill set required to excel in XWave’s other programs. People have expressed difficulty getting used to the NeuroSky system in the past, so this app is a must.

In the video below is an example of the visualizer you would see on the standard XWave app. On the left is a graphical representation of brain waves with the color and shape changing depending on which rhythms and frequencies you’re projecting at any given moment. The top-right corner shows the frequency distribution derived from the EEG signal, which is concurrently side-scrolling in the background. Finally there’s the attention and meditation ratings that look like two little speedometers. When either of these are above 90, the meter starts flashing, indicating that your neuro-cognitive powers have peaked. It definitely beats trying to interpret EEG signals on your own, and it’s a lot prettier, too.

To help build your neural resiliency, there’s the Tug of Mind developed by MindGames, LLC. You can take a picture and record the voice of an actual person (friend or worst enemy), and the app renders a digital representation. As the 3D face goes through various threatening facial expressions and sounds, the app measures your meditation and attention to see if you can keep your cool. Feeling stressed out by a co-worker? Maybe try this app, and let your anxiety melt away in the face of your adversary’s harmless 3D rendering. With minor tweaks, I could see this app being used to instill anti-bullying strategies in children. It couldn’t be any less effective than these tactics.

Full Article:

singularityhub.com...

edit on 10-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I don't know what kind of range it has, but I'd think that it might not work very well if there were multiple people in range, since you will quite possibly have different moods, etc, sending different brainwaves. I also don't think that it could be designed to recognize specific people, so that the absolute best it could do in a crowd situation would be 'someone in this crowd is extremely angry and might commit violence'.

I'm rather surprised that this technology could be put into something as small as an iphone. When I was in university in engineering, some of my peers built a student project that would look at your brainwaves in an attempt to check your sleep cycles, and then wake you up at the end of a cycle, rather than the middle like you usually would if an alarm goes off. It was a bulky device that had to be wheeled around on a cart, and had to be connected to your head using electrodes, like an EEG in a hospital. (which is what they based that part of the design off of) And that particular device was only doing rather general calculations, like looking at your brainwaves and basically deciding whether you were in deep sleep or not; this iphone app thing sounds a lot more complicated than that project was, and fits in the palm of your hand.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
All this tells me is that probably within the next decade or two I will have to fight for a right to privacy within my own mind.

join