It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A look inside the mind of erad3 (most-likely Jared Loughner)

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by disruptor74

I would rather talk about the weather. Come on now. who cares if this guy was an ATS member. IMO, ATS has a certain responsibility to all its members, That being information being supplied to third parties. Shame on you ATS.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by disruptor74

I would rather talk about the weather. Come on now. who cares if this guy was an ATS member. IMO, ATS has a certain responsibility to all its members, That being information being supplied to third parties. Shame on you ATS.

Oh come on there is no reasonable expectation of privacy anywhere on the internet, especially when you are involved in a crime or criminal activity.

Anyone who assumes otherwise is both ignorant and a fool.

I think I can safely speak for most here that we would have been far more "upset" if ATS had initially attempted to hide, remove and/or cover up the fact that the AZ shooter was a member here.

A tough call, for whoever had to make it, and I don't envy anyone who had to make that call one way or the other.

Bottom line, whether you post at ATS or elsewhere, ANYWHERE online your IP info is available to advertisers, ad networks and site administrators period.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

As I mentioned, we knew it was a very tough call -- and might be the focus of some potential flack. But we're supported by our Terms & Conditions (in which our decision is allowed), and would never do any such thing under normal circumstances.

Side Note: There have been a few attempts, via civil suits, to compel us to reveal member information over the past few years. We've successfully resisted all, and have never revealed anything.
edit on 11-1-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

What information was supplied exactly? They said quite clearly that they didn't supply any ip or email address.

All threads except those in RATS are available to read to anyone with an internet connection. All member profiles are available to any registered member, and it takes 2 minutes to create an account. Any journalist could have done it anyway once the news was out. And the news would have been out, it was reddit users who found the account, wasn't it?

ATS has done the absolute best thing in these circumstances.

Oh and I thought so in the beginning too, what's the big deal if the guy had an ats account, I don't see youtube and myspace and whatever other site he might have had an account on make a big deal about it? But I thought a little more and it turns out it is somehow a big deal. I don't really care about youtube, I have an account there but I only see youtube as a tool. For ats I care a little more, precisely because it is a community and I am part of it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

we gave out nothing more than our belief that erad3 was the shooter and we didn't even make that connection. others did and our astute members started cross referencing his posts here with his comments and videos elsewhere and the possibility became a probability.

it's not like we much information beyond a sign up email and I would venture a guess that many of our members get a new email just for the sign up (paranoia)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You made the right call; In fact the only one you could make. Not much sense in you trying to please everyone as we all know that will never happen. Thanks for the way you all handled it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It should be noted that the debate between Transparency upon a very unique instance to the site and tragic to the nation did consider the Privacy Policy and the point of discussion was whether or not there should be an official stance based specifically upon Skeptic's consideration of this point.

As was mentioned, the decision was unanimous based on a few points - That the legwork/association was made off site and was picking up steam as far as internet chatter and the idea that ATS and similar sites would be uncharacteristically lumped into the tragedy.

Transparency, in this case, was decided upon through much consideration from the Site Owners and Staff. I personally believe the decision to be the correct one. Ip addresses and emails used in registration were not released. The only official stance taken was an acknowledgment of the strong possibility regarding the associations made off site and an effort to organize all of that accounts activity for ease of access to help people who were going to research it anyway.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you guys only knew what it took to convince Bill to let go of his misgivings about spotlighting a member that we are reasonably sure is Jared Loughner.

We were not the first to release information linking erad3 with the person that is Loughner.

We have not released any more information than isn't normally available to the general membership by visiting the profile of erad3. Simply put, if the assertion and research hadn't already been done elsewhere, none of this would have been posted.
edit on 11-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Site Owner...You are very close to a traffic explosion.

I would much rather this event have never happened and our traffic remain normal. Seriously.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Regardless, If ATS intentionally posted for all to read, my threads and posts,(with out my consent) believe you me, there would be a lawsuit filed.FYI, I do believe that ATS does not have consent to post to the general public anything that its members (identifying who there are ) or ( presuming who they are) post. If any one can point out where the T&C says otherwise I would much appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

Terms and Conditions

My Bolded

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Do we ignore the speculation or do we look into it and make a judgment call? We asked our trusted staff and got a unanimous decision.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Springer because: clarity

time to shake up the staff. get a few new members and get rid of a few.

it can't be good you all agree. not one dissenter?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Agreed, We all wish that did not happen. I think the other events of the week will end up driving traffic. And by the way, If there is as much as a shooting star this week in Moscow...Look Out

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

It was actually a several page long discussion where we hashed out as many of the issues as we could.

There was much 'dissent'(even out of Bill), but at the end of the debate we all decided that the best thing to do is to be transparent. If we hadn't been we'd be paying the price for imprudence. We made the decision that getting ahead of this story was better than letting it fall on us in an uncontrolled fashion.

I believe that the right decision was made.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

Terms and Conditions

My Bolded

Well , there you have it folks, ATS reserves the right to SELL YOU OUT!! Thanks MemoryShock for going though the trouble and pointing this out. A shinny new tinfoil hat for you. I think ill just stick to what I know best., Religion, faith, and morals, something the attorneys and most of the staff here at ats are unfamiliar with. Any way, good luck with that ATS. As far as ATS members; Be very concerned about the information you post. ATS has the right to use it against you.And they will.oo-
edit on 11-1-2011 by oliveoil because: 45

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
time to shake up the staff. get a few new members and get rid of a few.

it can't be good you all agree. not one dissenter?

The staff here at ATS is a diverse bunch. We have skeptics, we have belivers, we have truthers, we have uber liberals, we have uber conservatives, etc. All of the staff came up as members and as such we are a cross section of the members as a whole. There is no litmus test for a selected staff member. Its rather the quality of posts and contributions that person makes regardless of the above.

Are we simply one large voting block (similar to the US electorate that votes the same way regardless of who or what is running)? Not in the least. Discussions go back on forth on alot issues however, in extraordinary circumstances such as this one, sometimes the right move is the easiest to agree upon

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I think you may be misinterpreting the issue. This is a standard clause for many public institutions and in no way suggests that we will single a member out for our gain/their detriment.

This instance is unique in that the user was already 'outed' by off site collaborators and the information was already public.

As stated before - No specific information save for posting history and the already agreed supposition of identity correlation was released, which agrees with not only our Privacy Policy but our Terms and Conditions. As well, the Creative Commons supports the publishing of the information on other websites with proper attribution...which occurred first.

I really don't know how to emphasize the above italicized enough.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Maybe you should have read the T&C before agreeing to them?

jk, of course

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It might be within the terms and conditions to for ATS admins or the parent company to reproduce what a userl writes on this board, but I still don't see the permission, right, or authority, explicit or implicit, for the ATS administration to associate anything posted on this board with a real person, living or deceased. What a user posts about himself is up to the user, but for the owners of this website, or its parent company, to state that a user is a certain private citizen seems to me to violate the privacy policy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DeusVult

Except that was done for us.

According to google a total of 12,300 results have been cached.

only a few of those belong to ATS.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join