It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are already in a police state. Just released from jail in NYC. HEAR ME OUT!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
So my fellow ATS'ers I have some bad news. I was arrested on Saturday night in Manhattan and I can say that it has been the worst 24 hours of my life. I won't get into the details of why I was arrested but I'll just say that it was possession of drugs. Now I'm no where near perfect, but I try to stay out of trouble and continue with school and work, when I can find work that is. I was only arrested two other times in my life and one was for disorderly conduct and some other nonsense I rather not discuss. Those 2 were when I was a teenager and it's been at least 7-8 years since that time. Anyways let me get into the details of this hell hole of a justice system.

First off I made a comment that one black officer didn't like and I guess he felt the need to try and mess with me. As they take me back to the precinct he has a bullet in his hand and says that he just recovered it from me. Then he says that they need to take me aside and try to find the gun. Of course all the officers go along with it and I literally burst out in anger over that BULLS***. I was like you know you didn't find that on me so let me guess you're just going to plant it and it's my word against yours? After they had their fun he said he was just messing with me for the comment I made. I'll admit I was scared as hell because I know that goes on in our country and how do you prove otherwise?

As they are searching through my belongings I watch them throw out my paraphernalia and at that point I already knew they were going to try and say I had the intent to sell when they damn knew it was personal use. Let me remind you the previous times I had been arrested were crappy, but at least I didn't feel so violated. Also I guess a lot has happened in 8 years within the system. So after I already told them I had nothing else on me he threatens to send me to get strip searched and I argue that I already told you I have nothing else on me. Meanwhile I know all cops are a bunch of pig liars that use jedi mind tricks to SCREW YOU! Anyways this cop makes me get naked after searching all my garments and I had to bend over and squat.

I have never felt so violated and vulnerable as to being subjected to this abuse by law enforcement. I know I was arrested and all but is all that necessary? I was arrested before and I never had to go through that type of humiliation. Anyways they take me downtown to central bookings and I have never seen such slow movement of being processed. I'm not sure how it works in other states, but if someone is willing to provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it. So it took pretty much 24 hours from being arrested to see the judge.

I didn't get to the best part yet. As we are being processed they take your picture and whatnot. One thing intrigued me because they made me look into this binocular looking thing. After I was done I ask the officer is that an iris scanner? He replies yes it is and he made some comment that minority report is coming true. So I'm thinking WTF do they need a scan of my iris, they already have all my fingers. palm and side of my palm prints. So I was asking the female officer that was with us, she seemed alright and I always found female officers to be much more compassionate than these egotistic males. She begins to tell me why they implemented this iris scanner. If this isn't the most BS reason I have ever heard then IDK what! She states that they were calling a name for a defendant to step up to the bench and when no one answered this other guy with a real serious crime stated that it was him and he went up and walked out. Now mind you every file has the persons photo right there in front. How can you not just take a few seconds to look at the photo and look at the person? So that seems to be the reason for the iris scanner so that can't happen again, but like I said they already have a photograph so what's the real reason?

Honestly I never want to go out of my house again and even chance running into police. The worst part is I had no idea what I was being charged with until I spoke to my legal aid almost 23 hours later. Of course they did charge me with intent to sell and there is no evidence of the paraphernalia. I don't have any money to hire a real lawyer, but I know my chances of beating the case are much higher with a real lawyer. Not to say a legal aide isn't a real lawyer, but sometimes I think they help the DA out. Although I questioned him about things being a conflict of interest he assured me he wasn't affiliated with the DA and that the legal aide is a non for profit organization. I can't help to wonder though because I'm almost positive they get their funding from the state so even though they may generally be willing to help out people, they tend to persuade many people to cop a plea.

One more thing I forgot to add you wouldn't believe how many people were in there for trespassing or some petty nonsense. This one kid was setup lovely. He found a woman's wallet on the floor in Macy's and he was looking around and no one was picking it up so he picked it up and it had like $6 in it with some credit cards. As soon as he walked out the door the cops busted him and said it was grand larceny. So do these police have nothing better to do but entrap people and arrest people for trespassing when people are being shot, killed, raped etc. One thing I'll admit is that female officer did admit to the system being broken and jail does not rehabilitate people. So I said if you admit all that then why do you go along with it? She didn't have a response. It was a big eye opener for me that's for sure. I also started a political conversion briefly with the other guys speaking about inflation and how money isn't real. Maybe I'm just too intelligent for my own good because most of them didn't even know what inflation was and I had to explain it to them. I don't have high hopes for the future, but I really wish this dollar would collapse already. Anyways what do you guys think about the iris scanner? Is it just one step closer to being totalitarian? One more thing the female officer said was if you get caught shoplifting that it was enough for them to take a DNA sample. I guess that's the icing on the cake. IF there ever is a next time, which I will do everything in my power to avoid, will DNA sampling be a part of the process along next to the iris scanner?

PS. IF anyone is a lawyer or knows one that might be able to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of money but I'm willing to sell my belongings and such to raise some money. I probably won't be able to afford 10-15 thousand, which is probably how much it will be.
edit on 10-1-2011 by stigup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You have to remember most 'criminals' don't come from good backgrounds and have particulary good upbringings. It's not surprising most don't know what inflation is. It's a failure of the Educational system. They don't educate the poor to the right standards, because they don't want an educated and healthy population.

Good luck with your case. Make sure you seek out advice on legal forums aswell as just ATS. These freebie lawyers will set you up to fail. Not necessarily on purpose, more so because they're lazy and incompetent. Half the time they don't even argue your case, just have you plead guilty and cop a charge.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hey bud,

What a post! I feel so sorry for you. Now:

I am not a lawyer (and i live in the uk) but i have a innate natural ability to talk my self (be it legal or local rules) of any situation (done it many times) so i will offer as much help as i can to you.

The way in which i would go about this is to explain lawful vs legal and say to them, tell your heart out about what real crime is and why what you were doing is a minority - you didnt rape, murder anyone. And besides...they arrested you to prevent a crime so technically im not sure how the USA varies from UK but you could say that you were lawfully carrying it around but since you didnt commit a crime of selling then.... meh i dont know US law really

I hope it was of some help, but dont quote it
xx
edit on 10-1-2011 by bian101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
First,
GTH out of New York. You have been warned that even the law is lawless.
Take a bus out.
If you have nowhere to go, check out www.wwoof.org... and you can find a destination with food and board for your labor on the farm.
You can even find some "hemp" friendly farms, maybe even growing hemp.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This kinda correlates with another thread that was on ats a while ago. In Florida over the new year, they implemented a mandatory check point. If you tried to turn around, you were chased down and arrested on the spot. Now, the point being is that at this checkpoint, they had a judge onsite, so if you refused a breathe alyzer ( sp), the judge ordered a blood sample to be drawn. Now that was the biggest infringement of the 4th Amendment right, I've ever seen. Warrantless searches, and now blood drawn from you?

Yes this is another clear example of the police state. As well as your experience too. BTW, did you notice while at the precinct, how officers no longer wear the old fashioned uniform? They have para-military gear on now days.

LEA's have been the instruments of the elite for some time, and their blatant misuse of power, and infringement of the publics rights are pathetic. Now outlawing the video taping of officers in some states, now can be used to charge you, and arrest you.

I would hate to be an officer, because if a revolution should break out, involving armed conflicts, anyone with a badge will most likely be the first targets. Which I'm not to upset about!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
First,
GTH out of New York. You have been warned that even the law is lawless.
Take a bus out.
If you have nowhere to go, check out www.wwoof.org... and you can find a destination with food and board for your labor on the farm.
You can even find some "hemp" friendly farms, maybe even growing hemp.

Yes I was thinking it might be time to leave NYC. I have been here my whole life and it's all I know so I'm not sure it would be so easy for me. Thank you for that link I had no idea things like that existed and maybe I could go spend some time on a farm for awhile to get away from things. I had high hopes for this new year since last year was pretty crappy and I already see that this year is going to be worse.

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
This kinda correlates with another thread that was on ats a while ago. In Florida over the new year, they implemented a mandatory check point. If you tried to turn around, you were chased down and arrested on the spot. Now, the point being is that at this checkpoint, they had a judge onsite, so if you refused a breathe alyzer ( sp), the judge ordered a blood sample to be drawn. Now that was the biggest infringement of the 4th Amendment right, I've ever seen. Warrantless searches, and now blood drawn from you?

Yes this is another clear example of the police state. As well as your experience too. BTW, did you notice while at the precinct, how officers no longer wear the old fashioned uniform? They have para-military gear on now days.

LEA's have been the instruments of the elite for some time, and their blatant misuse of power, and infringement of the publics rights are pathetic. Now outlawing the video taping of officers in some states, now can be used to charge you, and arrest you.

I would hate to be an officer, because if a revolution should break out, involving armed conflicts, anyone with a badge will most likely be the first targets. Which I'm not to upset about!

I saw that thread briefly and it seems that we have no rights anymore. They didn't even read me my Miranda rights. They typically weren't wearing uniforms because they were narcs, but I have seen swat teams and how they have military type gear, masks, etc. I have noticed that almost everyone in there is fed up with the justice system and how the cops don't even make real cases. Theres at least 8 million people in NYC most likely more I know no amount of force could stop even 1 million people.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I don't believe you... You talk like a cop.
Seriously, anyone who has their mood set as revolutionary is obviously either stupid or a government agent.

You don't seem very stupid to me.
edit on 10-1-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
First of all, good luck with your case.

I really have little to say but this advice may help you in the future.

If you are ever in this situation again, being stopped by police, and you know youre dirty and they WILL find your stuff, my suggestion is simple.

Cooperate politely but not wiseguy polite.

And, while doing so, do NOT SPEAK. In fact do not speak until you are in front of the judge, and then only yes no or direct responses to the questions, and as soon as you have an attorney clam up.

Again, I wish you good luck.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stigup

Well, you seem to be around 26 or 27 years old and a fine upstanding young man.
So you got arrested...again, for possession of drugs. You ran your mouth to the cops and one decided to have a little fun with you. Obviously you can dish it out but can't take it in return. As far as the strip search, druggies...uh, that'ed be you...are always suit casing drugs into the jail to sell/trade. If you don't know what that means its putting drugs up your rear end...hence the squat and cough.
How dare there be laws in the land. How dare there be consequences for breaking those laws. To think that someone could be in trouble for violating someone else's private property (trespassing). And all those other petty crimes.
As far as you being too intelligent for the officers and them not understanding inflation, ect. Do you have any idea how many babbling druggies they had already listened to that day?
So you don't like us mean ol' stinkin cop pigs......well here's a thought....don't break the law.
You are so intelligent, then you know that drugs are illegal, you know there are consequences for breaking those laws. Whats the problem and who put you in the situatiion you were in?........YOU DID. Take your lumps, learn from your mistake, and clean up your act.
Seeashrink.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stigup

I saw that thread briefly and it seems that we have no rights anymore. They didn't even read me my Miranda rights. They typically weren't wearing uniforms because they were narcs, but I have seen swat teams and how they have military type gear, masks, etc. I have noticed that almost everyone in there is fed up with the justice system and how the cops don't even make real cases. Theres at least 8 million people in NYC most likely more I know no amount of force could stop even 1 million people.

You know, you can sue them for that kinda thing. They have been forced to let guilty guys go free because they haven't read them their Miranda rights. Call the ACLU - they didn't read you your Miranda rights and they refused to tell you what you have been charged for, and if you are telling the truth (I believe you) you could get out of jail and get those guys fired, as well as probably getting some money. That's what the ACLU is here for - to protect civil liberties. Not to mention, they are very committed to the cause whether or not you have the money to pay for them. I would call them or an organization like them, because you have a very strong case already if they really didn't read you your Miranda rights, because they can't use ANY of your testimonies if they were said BEFORE you were given your Miranda rights, and all your paraphernilia which they confiscated would be unConstitutional evidence

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
reply to post by stigup

So you don't like us mean ol' stinkin cop pigs......well here's a thought....don't break the law.
You are so intelligent, then you know that drugs are illegal, you know there are consequences for breaking those laws. Whats the problem and who put you in the situatiion you were in?........YOU DID. Take your lumps, learn from your mistake, and clean up your act.
Seeashrink.

There is a difference between a deserved punishment and unConstitutional, undignified searches. Seems these cops were so bad they didn't even read him the Miranda rights. It's wrong, no matter what way you look at it. Drugs themselves should not be illegal, but I won't even get into that - what's wrong here is that the cops should NOT be playing around a criminal like that, pretending he has a gun and using that to search him! It's wrong! It's not about the OP being mad he went to jail, it was about the humiliating, unAmerican procedures that were used while he was being booked. No one should be forced into feeling less than human by other human beings. It's wrong.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stigup

"I saw that thread briefly and it seems that we have no rights anymore. They didn't even read me my Miranda rights. They typically weren't wearing uniforms because they were narcs, but I have seen swat teams and how they have military type gear, masks, etc. I have noticed that almost everyone in there is fed up with the justice system and how the cops don't even make real cases. Theres at least 8 million people in NYC most likely more I know no amount of force could stop even 1 million people."

There are no requirements for your miranda rights to be read. If they asked you questions before they arrested you, it is called a non-custodial interview=no rights warning. After they arrested you, they did not need to ask you any questions=no need for miranda rights.
Seeashrink

edit on 10-1-2011 by seeashrink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
I don't believe you... You talk like a cop.
Seriously, anyone who has their mood set as revolutionary is obviously either stupid or a government agent.

You don't seem very stupid to me.
edit on 10-1-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

Oh, I see. So to be intelligent we shouldn't speak out about losing our civil rights. We should be quiet and non-confrontational, because otherwise we are either stupid or a government agent.

Do you hear yourself? You're telling us to be silent when our rights are taken away. YOU are the one who sounds like a government agent, and I'm not saying you ARE, but I am letting you know exactly what you sound like.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

There are no requirements for your miranda rights to be read. If they asked you questions before they arrested you, it is called a non-custodial interview=no rights warning. After they arrested you, they did not need to ask you any questions=no need for miranda rights.
Seeashrink

edit on 10-1-2011 by seeashrink because: (no reason given)

Yeah, actually there is. It's called Miranda vs. Arizona. They cannot arrest you without reading your Miranda rights. What is this s##t about a non-custodial interview? He was obviously in custody because he was not allowed to just walk away. Therefore, he should have gotten his Miranda rights. It's pretty darn simple.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
ok.. let me get this straight..

you got busted for possession.
had enough that they could charge you with intent.
you popped off at the cops.
now you say you're being railroaded because you got charged with possession with intent?

i'd say, if you have enough to get charged with possession with intent.. and you get charged with possession with intent.. that's pretty much.... umm.. yeah.. normal.
i think the only thing you have to talk about is the scanner.. but that's just me.

as far as your "friend"... if he really did find the wallet on the floor, why not just hand it over to customer service? there was no reason for him to leave the store with it. common sense tells me, if someone loses something, they return to the last place they knew they had it. sounds like you fell for a sob story buddy...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929

reply to post by stigup

Seeashrink.

There is a difference between a deserved punishment and unConstitutional, undignified searches. Seems these cops were so bad they didn't even read him the Miranda rights. It's wrong, no matter what way you look at it. Drugs themselves should not be illegal, but I won't even get into that - what's wrong here is that the cops should NOT be playing around a criminal like that, pretending he has a gun and using that to search him! It's wrong! It's not about the OP being mad he went to jail, it was about the humiliating, unAmerican procedures that were used while he was being booked. No one should be forced into feeling less than human by other human beings. It's wrong.

First, I agree, some drugs should be legal, i.e. weed. The problem is.....it't not. The OP knew that. Secondly, you have to remember cops are human too, they actually get there feelings hurt through verbal abuse, etc., but people don't seem to remember that. So sometimes when you jab at us, we might jab back a little.
You and many others think that it's "us against them", you forget that we fall on both sides of that. We are human too. This is just our jobs. Man, I said I wouldn't get into this again, but I'm just so tired of the ignorance.
Seeashrink

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well in my state in jail they give you a wrist band (kind of like what you get at the hospital) It has your full name, DOB, picture and bookingnumber really no way to get around it... You can not leave your cell without it on.. If it is damaged they make you a new one before you can see the judge you MUST HAVE YOUR WRIST BAND on.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Very true.

People watch too much TV.

Call me horrible, but dont do illegal things and you wont be hassled. Im old and have never had even a traffic ticket. Know why? Dont break the law for fun and dont do drugs. I didnt even smoke grass in college.. Im sure you can manage too. IMO pot is a useless drug, should be legalized and taxed.
However, its still illegal IF thats what you had... and you ask for what you get by not only having the pot and walking around with it in public,but getting lippy with the cops. Not too bright if you ask me. Officer friendly must be about sick of know-it-all druggies and other perps by now.. you SHOULD know this. If you want to sabotage yourself, keep flapping your lips when you are arrested.. or better yet.. DONT GET ARRESTED. Any pothead.. and there are some smokers I love.. know that you dont carry around a quantity that can catch a distributing charge. They also know that you keep your stupid mouth shut. Either you WERE distributing/ had intent.. or are too young to be making decisions for yourself about smoking illegal drugs because you obviously dont know the law or the consequences.

I have great sympathy for those who are truly railroaded by the police and legal system.. it DOES happen and often. Your case is one of your own doing and is not in any way a part of the true innocents who are violated by the police. If you want sympathy concerning your legal problems, you must have clean hands. I have 5 cases right now in my county Im working on with a defense atty that involve real police mis-steps and illegal search. Yours went textbook and you even helped them out by having your drugs, para, and your mouth running.. on a silver platter.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

First, I agree, some drugs should be legal, i.e. weed. The problem is.....it't not. The OP knew that. Secondly, you have to remember cops are human too, they actually get there feelings hurt through verbal abuse, etc., but people don't seem to remember that. So sometimes when you jab at us, we might jab back a little.
You and many others think that it's "us against them", you forget that we fall on both sides of that. We are human too. This is just our jobs. Man, I said I wouldn't get into this again, but I'm just so tired of the ignorance.
Seeashrink

There is a huge difference between calling your friend a name and he or she calling you a name back then you calling a COP a name and the cop calling you a name back. It's like if a 10 year old kid says, "Mom, I hate you, go die" does that give the mother the right to respond the same? "Yeah Molly, well I hate you too, go die" Oh wait, no, the Mom is in the position of authority and should as such respond in a MORE MATURE fashion then the ten year old kid. Cops are in a position of authority. When they humiliate us, we don't have the power to stop them. It's not right to do something like that to someone who cannot not respond, and not only that, but cops should be experts in not responding to barbs like that! It's not ignorance on my part. Cops are not our friends and we are not on an equal playing field with them, that much is clear, and what they are doing in these sorts of situations is using their AUTHORITY to abuse people, and responding to a civilian in such a way is unacceptable. They should be acting MORE mature than us, not less, and not falling to our level when we insult them. Cause I mean, seriously, do they expect, doing what they do, that they are never going to get insulted? Even when they do their job right they piss someone off.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

I'm very, very familiar with Miranda v Arizona. The law is this: If I suspect you of a crime and begin to question you without arresting you, you are not in custody I am not required to mirandize you. If I arrest you and do not ask you any questions, then I am not required to mirandize you. Thats why we ask the questions before you are arrested. Questions such as age, name, date of birth, address, etc., are not covered by miranda. As a detective I'm required to know this.
Seeashrink

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join