It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress? I want a job like that

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
With all the issues that our country faces today. With all the bipartisan bickering that wastes time. When you think about how many people make up our congress, who is there supervisor? Who determines how many sick days they have used? Vacation days? Now, It is unfortunate that Ms. Gifford was shot but if some one in your company gets hurt does the whole company of 400+ people take the week off? With pay? How much do we really need multiple reps per state if they can afford to take this time off?

Another question, not to sound heartless but I will bet that if you or I were to get shot at work, we would at best get workman's comp while we recover. I bet she or any congress man would get there full salary. I think a good start to reform would be to curtail all of the perks. I would do the job without them and be happy to. How about you?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'd be happy to do their job for $25,000 a year, and work year round.

Remember, the average Congressman/woman makes $175,000 a year.

What would you do with that money, knowing the job scope, that leaves a lot of free time to spend it!
edit on 2011/1/10 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Sorry, xyankee (I am a Yankee fan and my old eyes won't let me know whether that is Joe or Mickey in your icon), but I have to interject. A job is what a job is. Ms. Giffords (there is an "s" on the end of her name) was not lying on a beach in Hawaii. She was holding a public get together in her home district. THAT IS PART OF THE JOB. I may or may not agree with any of her positions, but I have been praying and continue to pray for her recovery. Can we all please support our government (believe it or not, they are also part of my nightly prayers) and help them do right by us?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rich41357

Thanks for the response, so that you know it is Micky M. in my avatar. I am not criticizing her personally and if you saw, I too said it was a tragic event. But if you noticed I did say "workman's comp" which is what the average Joe gets for being hurt at work. As far as supporting the Government! Well I think they need to earn my support. Which is a long, very long, steep hill they need to clime first. There was a time when they had our trust, but lost it with the lies and steeling! They need to earn it back, NOT EXPECT IT!!! Just because, and that will happen when they start to suffer PERSONALLY! The same as everyone else.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
OK, I get where you are coming from (I really do). But do you get that the reason someone like Ms. Giffords gets special attention is because she REPRESENTS (sorry to yell, but you yelled first - just a joke, OK?) thousands of people. Yes, on a certain level, she is special. Please try to put aside the usual disgust we all feel for politicians, and think that maybe, in an ideal world, our representatives are looking out for our best interests. Sounds simplistic, dopey, sappy, etc., but by running for office, being elected, and coming back home to speak with a dozen or so people in a parking lot, she is doing something to affirm and advance the nation. Like it or not (and I have absolutely no dog in this fight - mine is sleeping at my feet right now), she deserves the best care we can give her. We all do, but I don't begrudge her the attention she is now receiving.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well the voter is obviously. Its time voters filter through the show and cast an informed vote.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

"Well the voter is obviously." What kind of sentence is that?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I am only using this incident as an example, It is not a personal attack, I just don't think that the people realize how lopsided the system is. There is no way that someone should get there full pay and retire with full medical insurance, simply by holding an office for 4ys. They hardly work now as it is during the four years. It is absurd!
like hitting the lotto. Mean while the average joe has to deal with real life and put up with the stupidity of some of the politicians choices to run our lives. It just seems really out of whack and unfair. So where do I sign up to get that kind of treatment? Hum?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
just so you know OP....most politicians are lawyers....

So...earn a degree, then 3 years of law school....and you could have their job.

approx. 7 years total... GL with that

top topics

join