It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you survive without your gadgets?????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

This is probably true however my wife has a fear of blood! if she sees the red stuff she faints on cue.

But i agree about the notion if you had to you would do and yes the human race is very adaptable

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have spent a number of years preparing for the end of technology. I have collected kitchen tools, grinders and mixers and such, that require no electricity. When my clothes dryer broke, I did not replace it, and now dry everything on an outdoor clothesline or indoor drying racks. Have never had a dishwasher in the house I live in now. I have alternatives for cooking that require neither electric nor gas. No cell phones for us. If the TV becomes useless, we have lots of books and board games for entertainment. Over the years, we have simplified in these ways, and it has not been difficult for us. You have to acquire skills and allot your time differently. Those who can adapt are those who will survive.

To those who are dependent on Big Pharma: You say you need your meds, and perhaps this is so. But maybe not! I am a type 2 diabetic with congenital heart disease. I take zero big pharma meds, and I do just fine, because I have also spent years learning about herbal alternatives and behavioral modification techniques. Despite my conditions, I would call myself healthier than most people I know. Don't sell yourself short!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Hard but not impossible to make a knife from scrap metal. There would be tons of scrap metal around. My question is...why wouldn't you have a knife? I always(almost) have one on my person. Only when I am flying do I not have one. I am leaving that job as soon as I can, but no later than the end of this year.

Off topic: is it legal to carry a knife all the time?

In the uk it's an offence unless its for work purposes.

But yes obtaining or making a knife from rocks an flint would be difficult.

Eating the wrong plants and mushrooms would be a hazard. Not many people know whats edible and whats not these days.

I would be more concerned certainly in the beginning of being able to defend my home and family from thieves and rioters.

It would be the hardest task due to the crazy human nature and swarming mob nature of rioting humans. That would be true hell chaos on a global scale.
edit on 28/12/2010 by stewalters1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

I live in the US and carry a knife for "work"
It is not normally concealed though, it is on my belt next to my leatherman super tool. My pistol is normally concealed(I have a CCW), and my spray is usually in my pocket. All of which is legal where I live.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm not sure everywhere will end up in riots... the more rural areas where community spirit exits would probably pull together.. this is what I expect to happen around here.,

We already have our own money, and a community leadership and structure not tied to national or local Gov, some towns/villages around here even have their own passports and stamps (the stamps came in handy during the postal strikes of the 70s, so not all hot air)

Tho one has a currency called the "Cuckoo" not really sure they'll keep it.. but it's been going since they declared UDI (Universal Declaration of Independence) in the mid 1960s so who knows.

In a roundabout way what I am saying is that I know a number of areas around here that have a lot already in place to pick up and survive as whole communities, which includes limited medical services..

Not perfect, but I really don't feel the fall would be that far.. at least not around here, I would not want to travel to the more urban areas tho..
edit on 10/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I could survive but wouldn't be happy.

I LOVE LOVE gadgets. I have diode and yag lasers, ultrasound devices, RF devices, cavitation machine, all the way down to the silly ones such as the joke remote control keychain that can turn anyone's tv off without them knowing who did it, (really fun and immature when you're at Best Buy in the tv section)

Ghost hunting gadgets and electric tennis rackets to zap flying bugs or torture my children. Yes I'm 41 with the mind of an 18yr old kid.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Nothing wrong with having fun? What else are children for

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I WOULD have a knife in an emergency if nothing else but the OP asked if you had nothing could you survive.
A knife could be made from scrap iron yes, but not as easily as making one from stone.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What kind of question is that?

Of course not. Is that even possible?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

Could this thread survive without all of the clichet survival and rhetorical questions?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

I can't concentrate now - your avi did me in

I'll be back!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

I would imagine not long with your smart ass one liners.

What is your problem? could you survive with out the internet to hide behind?? bet not.

" Cyber Balls " springs to mind !!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewalters1
reply to post by Kayzar

What is your problem? could you survive with out the internet to hide behind??

No without the internet i would probably just shrivel up and die.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I know I can live without gadgets, TV, music, communcations, hair dryers, washing machines etc etc.

How do I know?
Last year I had the experience of living on a privately run game reserve in South Africa, situated roughly 30 minutes from Pilanesburg National Park. All of the meat came from game that were killed in a sustainable manner, and the water came from the nearby lake. There was a generator (currently managed by fuel, although it will someday been changed to solar) and very simple brick buildings with straw roofs and an additional metal top (to protect from the thunderstorms!!) Every night it was pitch black, just the sound of grazers coming to the lake and eating the vegetation at camp.
Although I only spent 2 weeks on the reserve, I have never been happier. I didn't miss any technology or even family and friends. I sat at the edge of the lake almost everyday looking across the land, fully appreciating how little we actually need to find true happiness.

As long as you are able to find a sustainable way of living, you will be able to survive. Of course, this does not take into account disease and the millions of people trying to also desperately survive.

I'm fairly sure I'll have no chance of surviving here in the UK due to overpopulation and the limited amount of space. If all fuel disappeared, I wouln't even be able to travel to get my hands on chickens or animals that would supply a constant source of fresh food due to the fact I know everyone will think the same thing.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It would take a while to adapt, but I don't see why not. If there's something I don't know how to do I would figure it out eventually - as with everything. Definitely a survivor.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I could survive without a lot of my gadgets such as TV, cell phone, ham radio, printer, police scanner - okay that's it - I really would love to have my PC but if I didn't I would start reading books again (we do all remember books, right). Oh and I really need my coffee pot - okay maybe not - I could make coffee over the fire, yep done that before. I guess I would last a while if I didn't have gadgets - but I wouldn't be as content or happy.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Already do.. My only modern tech is solar panel and handphone.. Get all that need from my garden , the jungle, fishing and trade with local villagers. Life here goes on as it has for centuries with little to no outside interference.. If it wasnt for keeping touch with my kids who are grown and living elsewhere would dump the handphone in a heartbeat.. Much prefer a quiet , simple life out here far from "civilisation"..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'd LOVE to see the world without gadgets even if it's to see people panicking when their mobile phone doesn't work or they can't get their tweets online to say what they've had for lunch.
The vehicles might be an issue though as I don't fancy walking 14 miles to work, but you see how many would pick up a pushbike.
The TV is a zombie box anyway and that wouldn't any big loss, maybe then people can pick up a book and read and learn.
Radio is simply a propaganda outlet so again no loss. The fridge being out would mean less storable food but would mean that we'd have to grow our own, and I can't even keep a bayleaf plant from dying.

Maybe one day we'd have a EMP pulse form the sun, one that lasts just long enough to make us realise just how fragile our way of life really is and what we would do if we didn't have all that we have right now.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
with as many agencies that monitor this site, especially as of with the recent AZ shooting, I wouldnt post too much on this thread about what ya got, and how you would go about doing your thing at this moment. At least not go into to much detail if you cant help yourselves. I know what I got, I know what my plans are, thats all I need, for all we know, (no offense to the OP because this is probably not the case but............) OP could be a disinfo agent, or, some sort of recon for someone somewhere. I'm just saying, who knows, and to be careful what you post from here on out with these threads. PEACE

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Could you actually survive?

Sure, people dumber than me used to do it for centuries....

Do people know how to live off the land??

Somewhat, but depending on the scenario, looting may be an option too, which may negate some of that need. Still though, planting, harvesting, hunting, etc. isn't too hard to figure out. Sure, there will be mistakes, but we'll learn (or re-learn), and there are always books...

Could people handle the mass looting, riots, and chaotic social collapse??

Well, there's handling it physically, and handling it mentally. The latter would be the bigger challenge. Some will thrive, others will crumble at it.

How long could you survive and what survival techniques would you use?

I imagine to my normal lifespan. Food is all around us, just need to look. As for techniques, would depend on the scenario. First priority, is to do one of two things, either become part of a larger group, or be individual (and try to stay hidden). Depends on which strategy is the most viable at the time.

What defence strategy would you adopt to protect you and your loved ones??

Arm yourself, and stay hidden, or with a large group and watch each others' backs.

Would this be a bad thing to revert back to a simple existence??

Mixed. I kind of like modern conveniences, but a simpler life (mentally) has it's appeal also. Still, I'll take the safety and security of the modern age over a Mad Max environment any day...

Would it cause social breakdowns and rioting??

Define "it". There are many different scenarios, and different things would happen in them. Big difference in how you'd handle a government crackdown vs. a zombie infestation, for example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join