It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somalia's al-Shabab bans mixed-sex handshakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Somalia's al-Shabab bans mixed-sex handshakes

www.bbc.co.uk

Men and women have been banned from shaking hands in a district of Somalia controlled by the Islamist group al-Shabab.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another example of the ridiculous laws imposed by extreme muslims... words fail me.

I find it hard to understand why such groups would feel the need to ban this sort of thing. Music has also been banned. Can anyone help me understand the reasoning behind this?

(struggling for enough of my own comments to get this through :-/)

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
an unfortunate nuke-a ler

ask cedent sounds reasonable to me.

keep that sharia commin!

can't wait to go to court.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
It's just a different religion and culture.. I don't know why people let it bother them so much, it doesn't affect your life directly and I'm sure if you were to ask these Somali woman, most of them wouldn't be bothered and would probably agree.
Sometimes I think these stories are just here so people can start bashing Muslims, because that's what most people have been brainwashed to do.

Here in England it's not really the done thing for men and woman to shake hands, if you know someone, a kiss on the cheek is usually the norm, but if you don't know the female then there can be that awkward moment when your not sure what to do.. This normally ends in a handshake but even that feels weird..
Oh dear.. Maybe I'm an extremist too!!
edit on 10/1/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

ya you are different, just kiss them gals there and get confused about shaking hands.

i will send flowers.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Clearly more BBC propaganda paving the way for more nuclear waste dumping and aerial drone attacks.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Well, a (small, now that I come to think of it) number of things that religions have banned have actually been good for health... pork being a particularly good reservoir for parasites, and adultery... well, the spread of STIs is usually closely associated with extra-pair copulations.

Handshakes are also a good way of spreading diseases. You cough on your hands, you touch food with your hands, you clean with your hands, you dig with your hands, you squash flies with your hands, you clear sink clogs with your hands, and you wipe your bum with your hands.

In the day and age where contact-greetings aren't required to prove to each other that we're not carrying weapons, why perpetuate this particular process for the propogation of pathogens?

That said, this would only really be applicable if they banned handshakes all together. Just inter-sex handshakes is... odd.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Another example of the ridiculous laws imposed by extreme muslims... words fail me.

Your thought processes fail you. How about you fail yourself and read a book other than the bible or the New York Times

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill

Well, a (small, now that I come to think of it) number of things that religions have banned have actually been good for health... pork being a particularly good reservoir for parasites, and adultery... well, the spread of STIs is usually closely associated with extra-pair copulations.

Handshakes are also a good way of spreading diseases. You cough on your hands, you touch food with your hands, you clean with your hands, you dig with your hands, you squash flies with your hands, you clear sink clogs with your hands, and you wipe your bum with your hands.

In the day and age where contact-greetings aren't required to prove to each other that we're not carrying weapons, why perpetuate this particular process for the propogation of pathogens?

That said, this would only really be applicable if they banned handshakes all together. Just inter-sex handshakes is... odd.

good for you!!!

you know basic hygiene!

kissing my ass can be deadly.

but i don't do any of that stuff you do.
sounds like you are a walking bio-weapon.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Your thought processes fail you. How about you fail yourself and read a book other than the bible or the New York Times

1. What are you on about?
2. I live in the UK and don't have access to the New York Times
3. Im agnostic and don't read the bible or any other 'holy book'

I am merely asking the question why?

I live in a society which is full of cultures from all over the world and I enjoy the diversity. However, here in the UK it is not the norm to ban normal social activities so find it hard to understand the thought process behind it. This is not about bashing muslims, it is about questioning the reasons behind extreme branches of certain religions.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Another reason why extreme islam is not compatible with the 21st century. notice i said extreme islam not islam itself INB4 the racism card is pulled

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

What, you're saying when you cough, you always catch it with your elbow as per NHS regulations? Or you just cough all out there for everyone to catch?

And you never touch food, or clean anything, either?

Digging and squashing flies depends on personal environments. But what do you do if your sink gets blocked? Leave it? And as to wiping your bum... well, if you don't do that, I'd say your hygeine is very questionable.
edit on 10/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
It's just a different religion and culture.. I don't know why people let it bother them so much

I agree, in fact as my neighbourhood is now FULL of somalis, your words are a shining example.

That they form gangs, segregate themselves, hate white people in general (not outright) and roam in gangs now here, golly What great times!

They are just different.

Thank you Misterlondon for understanding..

*whispers you idiot *

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

It's just a different religion and culture.. I don't know why people let it bother them so much

I agree, in fact as my neighbourhood is now FULL of somalis, your words are a shining example.

That they form gangs, segregate themselves, hate white people in general (not outright) and roam in gangs now here, golly What great times!

They are just different.

*whispers you idiot *

Idoiot!!! Who the hell do you think you are??

If you had half a Brain you would realise,
I wasn't talking about somalians roaming around your neighbourhood..
I was talking about cultural differences in different countries!
Living in an area with a high Somali population myself, I'm fully aware of the problems they can cause.. But that is not what I'm talking about..
Before you get on your high horse and start offending people, make sure you at least have got the right point..
Nowhere in my posts or the op does it say anything about what you've mentioned..
Take your racism somewhere else!!!

link   

They are just different.

*whispers you idiot *

Living in an area with a high Somali population myself, I'm fully aware of the problems they can cause.. But that is not what I'm talking about..
Before you get on your high horse and start offending people, make sure you at least have got the right point..
Nowhere in my posts or the op does it say anything about what you've mentioned..

link   

They are just different.

*whispers you idiot *

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Sharia and the female issue aside for one short sec, this whole thing stems on anyone ALLOWING ANOTHER TO IMPOSE A LAW ON THEIR BODY. No one owns me. you cant tell me I can't do something, but I'm not going to listen, in fact, if you're insisting and being rude you have to leave my property. We're not owned. No one tells us what to do.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Under the ban imposed in the southern town of Jowhar, men and women who are not related are also barred from walking together or chatting in public.

And some of the "politically correct" or "tolerant" crowd over here (like Corruption Exposed) would try to defend even this sort of extremist craziness.. Words fail me too, and I am an atheist, I dont read the Bible or NY Times.

For those who claim that its majority of local people who want these rules, first educate yourself about the terrorist organization that forced these laws over ordinary Somalians.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10/1/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
All men and women were created to be free. If you believe in a divne creator or not, the very basis of all other beliefs i have is that it is the destiny of man to be free.

Therefore, regardless of religion or nation, when i see things like this i will condemn it. It is not that they are "just another culture". It is a new tyrannical rule in a nation slipping deeper into tyranny. It represents a loss of rights for the women in that nation.

Remember, all laws are punishable by death. To see this as "culturally appropriate" is horrific. Women will be killed over this. If this is a "cultural" issue, then there may be a chance that this culture is in need of something different.

Or, perhaps we could just chalk up the Holocaust to just being the culture of the German people?

Some of you folks need to grabs yourselves up by your metaphorical testicals. Quit letting all the "polite speak" get in the way of what is right and what is wrong. Man is destined for freedom and liberty. Anything short of that is a travesty.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Sharia and the female issue aside for one short sec, this whole thing stems on anyone ALLOWING ANOTHER TO IMPOSE A LAW ON THEIR BODY. No one owns me. you cant tell me I can't do something, but I'm not going to listen, in fact, if you're insisting and being rude you have to leave my property. We're not owned. No one tells us what to do.

I hadn't thought of that part of it but you're absolutely right. Why should any human beings body be governed. If I want to shake someones hand or simply WALK next to a female friend, it shouldn't even be considered whether it is allowed or not... I just can, it is my human right. Anyone who agrees with this ridiculous kind of law needs a reality check.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join