It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trial collapses after undercover officer changes sides (Police caught red handed instigating events)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

This man led a complete double life.

On one side of the coin he had massive influence in organising events, protests and demonstrations 'almost single handedly' - But on the other side, he was infiltrating the movement.

He was known to those within it as Mark "Flash" Stone, having earned the nickname because he always seemed to have more money than the other activists.

Confronted
He lived a double life: as Mark Kennedy of the Metropolitan Police and as Mark Stone, green activist, based in Nottingham.

This is the bit that will make some people angry

"We're not talking about someone sitting at the back of the meeting taking notes - he was in the thick of it."

Speaking about the Ratcliffe-on-Soar protest, Mr Chivers said: "Mark Stone was involved in organising this for months - they could have stopped it at the start."

Instead, Mr Chivers said the police officer helped recruit as many people as possible.

He also drove a reconnaissance party to the power station in his van and then hired a truck for the main protest, Mr Chivers added.

The activists' plan was to try to shut down the coal-fired power station for a few days as a protest against global warming.

Eighteen people were convicted over the Ratcliffe-on-Soar case last year
But in April 2009, when 114 people had gathered for a meeting at the Iona School in Nottingham, hundreds of police swooped on the building and arrested them all for "conspiracy to commit aggravated trespass".

And then..... wait for it.....

The trial of six green campaigners has collapsed after an undercover policeman who had infiltrated their group offered to give evidence on their behalf.

The six were charged with conspiring to shut down the Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station in Nottingham in 2009.

The case was due to start on Monday, but was abandoned after Pc Mark Kennedy contacted the defence team to say he would be prepared to help them.

The prosecution subsequently dropped their case.

What the hell? So not only is this evidence of .... I don't know... entrapment? Or creating a crime, but then the mad bastard changes sides halfway through trial?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
It's not entrapment if you participate or help. It's entrapment if you come up with the idea of doing it and convince them to.

If you give money, time, or means to commit an offense it's called being an accessory.

Encouraging or being passive in not stopping the offense is called "aiding and abetting"

None of the actions mentioned are entrapment. This officer did not come up with the idea to commit the crime, he helped them get the means to do it.

It's the same with the terrorism strikes they do in the US. They meet with people who want to commit terrorist acts, help them get the means to do it, ask them if they want to back out, and then watch them try to do it before arresting them... There's no entrapment.

Sorry to burst your bubble!

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
If it is not entrapment, it is still wrong. I a glad the guy "came to his senses"! I wonder how many of these guys/gals are out there? Luckily I am getting better at reading people! Is that a dare? You decide!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Smokinmirrors

I don't see it as being wrong. I see it as being a great investigative tool to help stop people from doing things they shouldn't be. This is how we investigated the Italian Mafia, the Hell's Angels, and many other criminal groups.

Without this investigative tool, we wouldn't have much of the intel and knowledge we have now on many of the criminal organizations existing today.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Smokinmirrors

It was a career that involved breaking into power stations, invading airports and – according to legal papers – concluded in an operation in which he now stands accused of crossing the boundary from spy to agent provocateur.
www.guardian.co.uk... nedy-undercover-cop-activist

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I had a mate in Greenpeace who was getting arrested and beat up all the time, he liked it. The lawyers where great and any incarceration was not for long. There are crimes a lot more serious than drawing some attention to polluter and causing a little inconvenience in defence of the planet. What about all the corruption and destruction going on in the energy industry? That get me angry. Not this.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Applause for Mark Green then!
It's not often someone jeapordizes their own government job to help those he was hired to help convict.
Finally, someone in government is showing they have a conscience!
Oh happy day

top topics

join