It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash flood wreaks havoc through Toowoomba Video

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I thought You lot down under would be happy with that surf?
Seriously though, that looks bad, I hope it settles down soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Our own Propaganda MSM isnt really offering much Information,which is pretty disgusting in my Opinion

That could be cuz the State of Queensland is bigger than the State of Texas

edit on 11-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by Rosha

Hope your Moms ok and you are too.

Keep posting and let us know you and yours are ok.

writing in half dark sorry heads buggered..my motherssafe but her house will most likely be gone by the time i write this the peak near her home is an expected 22 meters which is 2 meters over the 1974 flood level sshe's only four streets away from the Bremer and was evac'd today as she is older and infirm. she'd been cut of since about 2pm and ive been frantica aranging evac for several other people who lost their homes at grantham..two familes have suffered extreme trauma witnessing a third family killed as the roof of the house next door jst collapsed unde rthem and put them all even kkidsinto the water nad washed them away an entire side of the valley wallseems to hvae just 'slid off' and took out at least seven houses.the news isnt showing those images yet as theyre were bodies up trees and haning in cars. houses inthe valley floor piles of # and tangled wrecks up trees its .crap down there...im numb...no rght to be but even experienced a t this stuff im finding it difficult.
thats the only word i can use..just numb.hard to keep track of so many variables
if i never see another sandbag...have aquired some benzos so i can have a decent sleep..huge dya tomorrow its been nearly three days on hte go today the worst..coming here has been a good head distracton...down time..friends reportno power on loctionafter tonight and batteries non existant.bit angry ppl are starting to hoard buy food and sups..those stocks are needed for people who really cant get out and get resupplied for weeks..not for ppl who arejust afraid and just want to stock up..have met some amaxzing people tho..aussies are a completely different specieis to other peoples i rekcon....so many sad stories i am fiortnate i know my family is safe.even those ones i secretly wish had washed away ...have to go. ty for checking my post..much appreciated

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

Glad that you and yours are ok

You sound traumatised though, and not suprising from the descriptions you gave!

Please keep your head up though. It isn't over yet and you need a straight head. Easy for me to say here in the UK I know. So if you need to let rip on someone to let out frustration to help you keep your head straight U2U me anytime.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
did you hear the silly comments of their #ty pms
instead of helping with their bare hands
all these politicians do is bloat some crappy phrases
stop paying for these useless jerks

reply to post by bkaust

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

UPDATE:

www.smh.com.au...

A dam and a prayer

The devastating flood has left whole families missing, now a mighty dam built to protect Brisbane after its last major flood disaster is at bursting point, reports David Humphries.

WITH the dead and missing in its wake, the worst flood in 100 years is building towards Brisbane as Australia's third-biggest city holds its breath and hopes a dam 80 kilometres to its west can keep back enough water to avoid a disaster of biblical proportions.

The Wivenhoe Dam - built to spare the Queensland capital a repeat of devastating floods in 1974 - is at its limit. ''And they now have to discharge that water [further swelling the Brisbane River] … because more is on the way,'' the lord mayor, Campbell Newman, said yesterday of the ''huge challenge'' facing Wivenhoe authorities.

www.smh.com.au...

au.news.yahoo.com...

Wivenhoe put to the ultimate test

Brisbane's main defence from a catastrophic flood is facing an unprecedented test as heavy rain continues to inundate southern Queensland.

Further upstream the Wivenhoe Dam, built in the wake of the deadly 1974 floods, is pumping record amounts of water over its spillway as the flood situation rapidly changes.

Last night releases from Wivenhoe's five gates were at about 236,000 megalitres, but that level will be increased today.

'Catastrophic'

Professor Chanson says the dam operators have been progressively releasing water from the dam to prevent it filling.

"If the Wivenhoe become full up to the stage where the water in the reservoir is very close to the crest of the dam, it would mean a situation where the operators of the dam would have to open fully the gate of the spillway," he said.

"Anything coming into the reservoir would have to be immediately discharged."

He says it would be catastrophic if water made it over the top of the dam wall.

"The Wivenhoe Dam is not designed to be overtopped, it is what we call an embankment dam. And if water was to flow over the top of the crest of the dam, there would be a very high risk of erosion of the dam wall and ultimately failure of the dam," he said.

"If the water was to spill over the top of the crest of the dam we would look at the failure of the dam on the possible complete emptying of the reservoir into the Brisbane River with deadly consequences for the people living downstream."

au.news.yahoo.com...

If the dam breaks it will make the current flood look like a puddle.

I don't think I can sleep tonight, even though I'm down here in Sydney I have relatives up there, thankfully safe at the moment but that could change in a heartbeat.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Typical Queensland summer >.>
I'm from Cairns myself so i'm used to this kind of thing. I just signed a lease on a place in Brisbane today, so i'm hoping it doesnt go underwater! I fly back into Cairns on Friday and heading up to Brisbane 1 week later, so here's hoping the weather eases up! I know a few of my friends have had their homes and areas evacuated.

It would help if the government had actually prepared for this, we had big floods about a year ago, yet nothing was done to prepare the state for future problems.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Lets hope that Tropical Storm thats moving torwards that Area doesnt develop into a Hurricane...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
well nothing left to say but DAM. no pun intended. never seen floods like this. its never a good day when people die but from what im reading people are expecting things to get worse, and here i was complaining about melbourne's fickle weather.

where the hell is all this water coming from? cant we redirect it into the central territory and fill up that inland sea we used to have??? what a waste of water and lives..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
so awful, my thoughts are with everyone there, i am worried sick about my friends there. Please let there be an end in sight and reprieve from the down pour, though according to the bureau its looking nasty well into the weekend

edit on 11-1-2011 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

And there is a king tide coming sometime today, as if the situation wasn't bad enough.

I heard they are projecting the Brisbane River to rise another 3 metres or so sometime today.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb
reply to post by bkaust

hi mate,

would you as the original op consider editing the title of this thread to maybe the "australia floods" or something similar as this thread seems to now be covering the whole crisis. makes it easier for us all to keep up to date if there is only one thread.

I'll get onto a mod about it now, since its been well past 4hrs, I can't get in to edit the OP

Ok, i'm going to come off like a natural blonde here, but it is 245am - how do I contact a Mod to change it?
Or if I just ask nicely here 'Pretty pleeeease change the title for us'
Maybe to "Queensland hit by biggest floods in over a century"
edit on 11/1/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

I'm glad your mother is ok, you sound completely buggered! I had a feeling they were keeping a lot of those sort of details from us, and as bad as it sounds, i'm kind of glad. It's hard enough watching the suburbs I was born in/grew up in go under, but to see and hear about things like that is just simply heartbreaking. I honestly cannot sleep at the moment because I can't stop imagining what those poor towns at the bottom of the range went through and you've confirmed it for me. Especially since so many of them are little ones, having a 4.5month old myself really makes it hit home more.

I hope you managed to get a good sleep despite it all! x

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Global warming or Climate change, some say, is a cover story put in place for the effects our planet will face as a Planet belonging to Brown Dwarf Star (G1.9)?, which may be our Suns companion (80-90% of all stars/solar systems are binary systems) makes it's way in towards us on a cyclical orbit, some say every 3600yrs. All major govt;s are supposedly aware of this and have made preparations to save their own asses. Supposedy the indo/Australian plate is starting to bend or tilt upwards and is backed up buy water buoys in the coral sea and elsewhere in that vicinity showing decreases in the depth of sea level of the Queensland coast. The term some are using is slosh back as the water displaced by rising sea bed runs temporarily back on itself (be curious to know the salt content of inland flood water). This is only what I've being coming accross on the net over the last year of looking into this stuff. Apparently the Americans / Russians were the first to be aware of this info on coming Earth changes as early as 1983, or even earlier, thereby cooking up this Global warming scam to write off the initial effects down to a manmade problem.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wow that 4wd got owned! hahahahah, your best bet is to pack up and move to New Zealand where we are having sunny weather!!! LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by free_spirit_earth
Wow that 4wd got owned! hahahahah, your best bet is to pack up and move to New Zealand where we are having sunny weather!!! LOL

i doubt you would see the humor in it if it was your truck being washed away and insurance doesnt cover acts of god. its easy to see the light side of things when your sitting in a safe warm chair thousands of Km's away from the problem.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hey posters did anyone hear the report yesterday that victim number 10 (a child) died yesterday when he fell from a SES rescue boat ? WTF ? My wife and I both heard this yesterday evening .Never heard this a second time .The report was on channel 9 .The SES does a wonderful job ! But how can that happen ? Someone has some explaning to do ! Did anyone else hear this report ???? This story has been pulled .

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

There is a mention of it here
news.ninemsn.com.au

and here

au.news.yahoo.com (video)

Edit: not sure if the second vid is working. Found the details on the vid titled: Child dies in flood rescue - (2:48)

... and a few other sources. No indepth details at the moment though (not sure I want to hear them anyway).
Yes, you are right, the SES do a wonderful job. The conditions must have been truly extreme. The poor little boy was wearing a lifejacket too. My heart goes out to all the families of the deceased.

edit on 11/1/2011 by Netties Hermit because: checking video link

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by free_spirit_earth

You obviously weren't affected by the 7.1 quake - otherwise you'd have a lot more respect for our neighbouring country's emotional state right now.. the earthquake was horrendous and the most terrifying event in my life, but the destruction and death this flooding has and will cause is unimaginable.

Stay safe neighbours.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Thanks for that, I don't think many are that are aware of the story of victim 10 .That story seems to be getting buried .When this is over I don't think it will go away .Sad indeed .Thanks again .

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join