It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash flood wreaks havoc through Toowoomba Video

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by squandered
reply to post by badw0lf

The lighter areas are where the rain is hitting the most in Qu and Vic??

Ed: oddly Queensland light blue area is the worst hit. Light blue there is lower rainfall.
In Vic, the worst hit is light blue - higher rainfall.

edit on 10-1-2011 by squandered because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2011 by squandered because: (no reason given)

err, it's the other way around lol.. look at the MM guage on the right.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Live stream Update:
5 people found alive. Forest Hill 300 airlifted and evacuated to Gatton. 126 still to be airlifted from there. Re Brisbane/Ipswich catchment - bad news. Advice: expect overnight flood levels reach 3m, tomorrow 3pm 4.5m, continue to rise into thursday with levels higher than 1974 peak of 5.45m. modelling shows with continued rain into thursday will see levels rise higher than that. In Ipswich it's expected to see overnight more rainfall in the region that my midnight levels in river will reach 18-19 m and wednesday peaking at around 21-22m. in '74 it peaked at 20.6m.
So floods could exceed those levels. Keep check on neighbours, friends & family to ensure they are safe. If you live on high ground reach out to others to offer help where necessary. Expect enormous disruptions ahead. the next couple of days will see workplaces closed and unreachable, major shopping centres closed, flooded and cut off. People need to make preparations and stay off the roads as much as possible. An evacuation strategy is being prepared at the RNA showgrounds for up to 3000 people with bedding and provisions.
Given how quickly events are changing, 2 hourly media conferences will occur for updates and more frequently if more data comes to hand. Be patient & calm. Stick together and keep informed - Anna Bligh
Police commissioner - A statewide disaster declaration has been declared for greater Brisbane area.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Incase anyone is interested - live police scanner from Bris. hosted on USTREAM.

Just heard a cop saying there were people in the water - didnt think they realised it was rising..

So I'll expect more casualties...

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGRESSION
Here is a link to a live webcam on the Brisbane River.
I just saw a jetty fly past a police boat.
And heard on the news there is a king tide due tomorrow.
Current reports estimate it to get to around 90 metres, that's approx 10 stories i think.

www.ustream.tv...
edit on 10-1-2011 by AGRESSION because: (no reason given)

Hehe Im on that stream too... that little tug type boat sure is trying...

lol

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I'm too tired to think right now...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Conditions are easing in Caboolture area. Backlog of southbound traffic has been cleared and police hope to start clearing north bound traffic on Bruce hwy soon. River is starting to fall.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGRESSION
Here is a link to a live webcam on the Brisbane River.
I just saw a jetty fly past a police boat.
And heard on the news there is a king tide due tomorrow.
Current reports estimate it to get to around 90 metres, that's approx 10 stories i think.

www.ustream.tv...

No it's not estimating it to get to 90 Metres. This is beyond ridiculous! They predict it to get to about 5.45 Metres with the king tide tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
Conditions are easing in Caboolture area. Backlog of southbound traffic has been cleared and police hope to start clearing north bound traffic on Bruce hwy soon. River is starting to fall.

Hi Zenius, do you know if the Caboolture - Bribie roads are open?
Been trying to find info but was unable to get an updated source

Regards

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Looks like we got a pretty crazy night ahead of us.

Fortunately we were warned months ago that this would likely happen so prep is pretty good.

Geez the footage coming in from towoomba is wild, touch wood the rain eases a little as expected.

News says they're expecting it to be as bad as if not worse than '74 ! And to think the rainy season is no where near over yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

yes, via old toorbul road

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
10 people now confirmed dead.

And they say that this will be no where near the total...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
They're now saying 100,000 homes and businesses will be blacked out.
www.couriermail.com.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Someone asked about the roads to Bribie Island

As far as I know the roads are still closed off

Please hang in there Brisbanites

edit on 11-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
3 quarters of Queensland are being affected , I happen to be in townsville , for the last 2 weeks i watched the clouds come through , the clouds were some of the biggest ive ever seen , countless rainbows and bursts of rain , but no major flooding (thank God) , all is normal , but we all see the clouds around us , big big clouds that reach so far into the sky , yet over townsville they scatter then reform to the south , just a blue sky with massive clouds either side of us , Its surreal, 200 km north in Tully and Cairns ,they gotta severe thunderstorm tonight , and Rockhampton is still reeling from news years day, The worst is yet to come unfortunately,

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Stay safe neighbours - thoughts are with you....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fltcui

in brisbane a lot of the electricity is being turned off as the sub stations are mainly located along the brisbane river. this will allow it to be turned back on as quick as possible.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Im quite positive that road is closed off.

reply to post by zenius

This low pressure system is moving in a little bit closer to the coast tomorrow morning, by the looks of it the sun will be out in the morning, this low is going to have alot of fuel and precip around to feed it.... Also there is a massive low system in VIC/NSW which looks as if it is pulling alot of steam through the centre of Australia from the gulf of the NT area were another massive low system is feeding it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
To back up my last post a little bit im refering to this website www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

hi mate,

would you as the original op consider editing the title of this thread to maybe the "australia floods" or something similar as this thread seems to now be covering the whole crisis. makes it easier for us all to keep up to date if there is only one thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Did Australia get any Outside Help by now? The USA "promised" to sent help after all...

Our own Propaganda MSM isnt really offering much Information,which is pretty disgusting in my Opinion.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Shenon because: spelling

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join