It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash flood wreaks havoc through Toowoomba Video

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Here you go 1300 993 191 . Update 8 dead , 50 found another 30 missing .
edit on 10-1-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: typo

Cheers mate I really appreciate it

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
8 DEAD AND 72 MISSING.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
***IMPORTANT*** can all of us aussies on here try to keep all information to one post without starting new posts as it makes it much easier to find out information and keep everyone up to date. if there is another thread apart from this one please let me know.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Wow, that's incredible.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
From Canada here. Never been to Australia.
Can somone help to explain how this could be happening? It sounds like it is rare but not unheard of if it happened back in the 70's.

Why would people live in an area prone to such heavy flooding ??
Has man contributed somehow to the vulnerability?

Serious questions folks, out of not knowing.
From the videos, the destruction is unbelievable.
Be safe.

to try and answer your question, we are really dealing with things here that people may only see once in a lifetime. i think the underlying factor in all of this is that for the last approx 10 years we have been in massive drought. it all has to do with the la nina and el nino events. we are in la nina at the moment and it is expected to last the next 3 months. we all knew eventually the rains would come. we just didnt know that they would come in such large volumes over such a short period of time. the ground is now soaked so there is no absorbing the water anymore and its just running off everywhere. also one last thing, australia is really a place that has lots of rivers and creeks. some of these river go for over thousands of kilometres.

hope this answers some of your questions.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Unbelievable, and you will struggle to find much on this in the British press ( i know I just looked on bbc and sky news). Should be front page news.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I have friends in Toowoomba, Ipswich and Bris.. Hope they are ok...

has been very emotional..my bio mum is in the path and its difficult...cant get to her..cant even make it past the border.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Unbelievable, and you will struggle to find much on this in the British press ( i know I just looked on bbc and sky news). Should be front page news.

this event has really been unfolding now for the last 2 weeks. they have just issued a new warning for massive storms and rain heading towards brisbane in the next hour. here is the link to the radar if you wish to check it out.
www.bom.gov.au...

here is the latest warning issued;

IDQ20032
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland

Transmitters in the areas of the Southeast Coast District and the Darling Downs
and Granite Belt District southeast of Dalby to Goondiwindi are REQUESTED TO USE
THE STANDARD EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL BEFORE BROADCASTING.

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for heavy rainfall leading to localised flash flooding and worsening the
existing river flood situation
For people in the Southeast Coast District and the Darling Downs and Granite
Belt District southeast of Dalby to Goondiwindi.

Issued at 8:00 am on Tuesday 11 January 2011

Synoptic Situation: At 8am AEST, an upper level low was located over the Darling
Downs and Granite Belt district and is forecast to move to the southwest and
slowly weaken.

Heavy rain areas and thunderstorms are expected to continue through the
Southeast Coast and Darling Downs and Granite Belt today. Heavy falls will lead
to localised flash flooding and will worsen existing river flooding.

Currently, an intense slow moving band of rainfall extends from about
Maroochydore to Warwick. Rainfall rates in this band are reaching 80 to 100 mm
per hour.

Flood warnings are current for various rivers and streams in these districts.
Please refer to these products [www.bom.gov.au/qld] for further information.

The Severe Weather Warning for the southern parts of Wide Bay and Burnett and
eastern Maranoa and Warrego and northwestern parts of Darling Downs and Granite
Belt districts has been cancelled. However showers and thunderstorms will
persist through the area and may produce heavy rainfall in these parts.

The State Emergency Service advises that people in the affected area should:
· avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters
· take care on the roads, especially in heavy downpours
· avoid swimming in swollen rivers and creeks

Contact the SES on 132 500 for emergency assistance if required.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11am Tuesday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The updates are good, thank you to all

BK I think it was you and forgive me if Ive mixing you up with another member

Have you managed to get in contact with your loved ones yet?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I am currently listening to a live radio streaming broadcast out of Brisbane, QLD with people calling in telling the host whats going on in their area around Brisbane and suburbs. Here's the link, go down on the right side of the page for the stream.
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Bah, everything is cool. I saw grant denyer on the today show this morning and he was having a great time about the floods.

Cant be all bad if a pretend weatherman can have a laff, eh?

Anyway

How the flap can this country be so divided... over here. another 35+ day and muggy as all hell, yet over east, non stop flooding?

What a schizophrenic country Australia is...

it's got nothing to do with Australia, it's the weather thats schizophrenic.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ha Denyer must have read that because he's on now crying crodile tears .The networks loves this pain , chance for a aria award for journalism .Parasites.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Anyone in or heading to the Caboolture area -forget it!
Bruce Hwy is cut just north of Caboolture and traffic is at a standstill while police are trying to convert. Roads connecting to this area are also cut ie pumicestone & old toorbul closed. Morayfield road at Caboolture river closed. Beerburrum road closed.
Local police scanner: www.radioreference.com...

There is also a Queensland Police facebook page with regular updates: www.facebook.com...#!/QueenslandPolice

This is your best resource for info and has links to bom.gov.au. News conference live streamed at 9.30am

good luck all.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb

to try and answer your question, we are really dealing with things here that people may only see once in a lifetime. i think the underlying factor in all of this is that for the last approx 10 years we have been in massive drought. it all has to do with the la nina and el nino events. we are in la nina at the moment and it is expected to last the next 3 months. we all knew eventually the rains would come. we just didnt know that they would come in such large volumes over such a short period of time. the ground is now soaked so there is no absorbing the water anymore and its just running off everywhere. also one last thing, australia is really a place that has lots of rivers and creeks. some of these river go for over thousands of kilometres.

hope this answers some of your questions.

Areas that flood will flood again.

Coming from a Canadian city that gets disastrous floods every decade or two, and living in a city prone to large earthquakes and periodic volcanic eruptions, I can understand why people don't leave.

However, it might be worth it for Australia to look at Winnipeg's ounce of prevention: The Red River Floodway. Granted, there's a big difference in geography to be overcome, but that's what engineers are for. The idea is sound, and has saved the city twice.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow, thanks all for continuing the thread! So this morning was worse than I feared! I think today i'll be outside cleaning drains etc and putting valuables up just in case, but i'll keep checking back - I can't believe they are up to 72 missing. This is so heartbreaking

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Im in Brisbane and we're being warned that the Brisbane River is going to flood today. My mate that works for the SES sent me this list of town that are expected to flash flood:

Albion Auchenflower Bowen Hills Brisbane City Bulimba Chelmer Coorparoo East Brisbane Fairfield Fig Tree Pocket Fortitude Valley Graceville Hemmant Indooroopilly Kangaroo Point Lytton Milton Moggill Murarrie New Farm Newstead Norman Park Oxley Pinkenba Rocklea Sherwood South Brisbane Tennyson Yeronga Yerongpilly Windsor Wacol

I live along the river and and just went for a walk along it (don't worry I live along the cliffs which are a good 5 stories above it). It's flowing pretty fast and there's heaps of debris going through but nothing too bad.

Also channel 7 have just released this map of possibly affected regions. Stay safe everyone!!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Seems like there's nowhere safe on this planet these days - makes me wonder what's gonna happen next and where!

Water. Vital, and deadly.

Not enough of it, we die - too much of it, we die.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
Anyone in or heading to the Caboolture area -forget it!
Bruce Hwy is cut just north of Caboolture and traffic is at a standstill while police are trying to convert. Roads connecting to this area are also cut ie pumicestone & old toorbul closed. Morayfield road at Caboolture river closed. Beerburrum road closed.
Local police scanner: www.radioreference.com...

There is also a Queensland Police facebook page with regular updates: www.facebook.com...#!/QueenslandPolice

This is your best resource for info and has links to bom.gov.au. News conference live streamed at 9.30am

good luck all.

Thanks for that mate, I was about to head to Caboolture this morning from Bribie.
By the looks of the weather were I live, wasn't too sure if to take the Car or Boat

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
srry if it has been posted before.

does anyone know how the stanwell tops area fared? I cant get through on the phones and have loved ones there.

thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

Better off staying put. King John still rising.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join