It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash flood wreaks havoc through Toowoomba Video

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by free_spirit_earth

Laugh it up, New Zealand will be experiencing something of this magnitude sometime soon in the coming months as well. On another note, I live in Brisbane and it's starting to get crazy here. Shops have no bread, milk, long life milk, meat or water left.

As I type this the sun is out and yet the flood waters in Brisbane are going to get to 5.5m in height by tomorrow afternoon. A king tide is expected sometime this afternoon. Ipswich has flood waters currently of 19 metres and they're expected to rise to 22 metres any time now.

North Queensland is currently experiencing the same type of rain levels they had around Christmas, it's like the cycle is repeating again. The scary thing is that there is more of this type of weather in the coming months that could be just as bad if not worse they're predicting.

Luckily I live on quite a steep hill.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Luckily I live on quite a steep hill.
reply to post by DigitalSea

Toowoomba is on quite a steep hill too!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thankfully all has cleared in the Caboolture region. Hubby got home last night, and daughter still in Woodford, though uncontactable atm. I hope to hear from her soon.
It's raining here again, though nothing like yesterday.
There is so much sadness on the news this morning. Hearing about the four year old child being washed away - I can't even to begin how devastating that must be, not to mention the losses in the Lockyer Valley.
If there is anything I can do to help please u2u me.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
10 Dead now 90 Missing.

Crazy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 13arrows

The number of missing has been revised down to 67.
We now have Tropical cyclone Vania over Vanuatu way, but as yet of no threat to the Queensland coast. Also Tropical cyclone Vince is coming in on the west coast of Australia. Weather map

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

thats all everyone needs now,a cyclone to finish it off...nature is really putting everyone to the test recently. hope all in the zone stay safe and dont do anything reckless.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Originally posted by dniMnepO
This low pressure system is moving in a little bit closer to the coast tomorrow morning, by the looks of it the sun will be out in the morning, this low is going to have alot of fuel and precip around to feed it.... Also there is a massive low system in VIC/NSW which looks as if it is pulling alot of steam through the centre of Australia from the gulf of the NT area were another massive low system is feeding it.

This was actually my own weather reading perception (after following it closely in this region for the last 2 weeks) which no body else really predicted along the same lines that I know of. If only I took a screenshot and put some arrows in the synoptic chart showing how I beleive it was moving and which different weather systems are most dominant and feeding (pulling) the other systems along for a ride.

reply to post by Shenon

A reported asked a police spokesman and disaster handling cheif if the army has stepped in to help at this stage, his reply was that they are helping by letting the SES, FIRE , POLICE use their equipment (trucks, helicopters ect.) although there is no personell from the army helping which I find very strange. Have not heard anything from any other governments helping out with army personell.

reply to post by ThePeopleParty

The surf?? The idea of the ocean levels becoming shallower of the coast of australia makes very much sense (the average beach breaking waves has definately become smaller) because if the ocean swell is moving through more shallower water before it reaches the coastline, its losing alot of its velocity. I was driving to the beach yesterday, I drove past a group of youngsters playing on bodyboards in flood waters and all of a sudden to girls were sucked underneith the road through a stormwater drain. Thankgod sombody was extremely quick thinking and was already assisting them with a towrope by the time I got out of the car. The younger girl was completely sucked through the drain under the road and out the otherside and the girl was being pulled free with the towrope, amazingly they got away with a few cuts and bruises but thankfully their lives. After this ordeal I ditched the beach went home and calmed myself down with a few hot ones.
Two freinds of mine have been staying at my place the last few days because they are unable to get to their homes, one of them lives on the mary river and he knows how high the river needs to get for his back shed with all of his trailbike equipment and a few cars in it will go underwater most likely washed down the river aswell as a caravan, praying that his animal are ok aswell.
reply to post by Rosha

Deepest condelences too you fellow queenslander, I hope you keep strong for your family in this time of need.

Originally posted by bonnieprince
Typical Queensland summer >.>
I'm from Cairns myself so i'm used to this kind of thing. I just signed a lease on a place in Brisbane today, so i'm hoping it doesnt go underwater! I fly back into Cairns on Friday and heading up to Brisbane 1 week later, so here's hoping the weather eases up! I know a few of my friends have had their homes and areas evacuated.

It would help if the government had actually prepared for this, we had big floods about a year ago, yet nothing was done to prepare the state for future problems.

wow your an idiot, have you payed attention to your surrounding area's, tempretures, weather patterns or anything in general. This weather gets stranger ever year, snowing down south in summer places where it has never snowed before. Worst draughts recorded, worst fires on record and now worst floods and rainfall on record... This is supposed to be the start of the wet season, but its been raining for the last 2 months on the sunshine coast, obviously not constant but alot more then it usually does, the birds are confused, fish are confused, bushlife is becoming extinct even though we dont eat them anymore (Aboriginals lived off them for hundreds of years) and even the general population is extremely confused. Excuses for toowoomba having barely any warning of the intense rainfall they had was apparently because the radars did not pick up the weather system properly because it was a MASSIVE amount of small specs of percipitation which gathered together directly over toowoomba's range and a massive rainstorm came out of nowere, this makes no sense how can they not track this.......

reply to post by badw0lf

The 5-0 app for itunes works great too, overheard the cops busted two guys who had their 4wd's parked next to rushing flood waters and had ropes tied to the towbar and were holding on with bodyboards. po-po's didnt seem to happy was hilarious. Also when the bruce highway was cut between sunshinecoast and brisbane people were going out of control and the police couldnt control them, Trucks and 4wds driving through roadblocks and other cars going down the wrong side of the highway, wrongway down on ramps and the police could not control them they were going crazy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
On safe and solid ground with power yay! Doing better after a good nights sleep...all hail the 'pams'.
ty everyone for your good wishes. Folks are going to need them.
Rosha

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

Glad to hear you are safe, I hope it all gets better soon
I have 6 QLD refugees staying with me ( 2 families) and still I wish i could do more.
Stay safe, stay strong Queensland, the whole country is with you.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Here's an interesting tidbit which was just shared with me,

We went jet skiing & found this Caltex toilet block floating 2kms off the coast.

Gives an amazing insight as to how quickly water can move and the size of things it can take with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DigitalSea

By tomorrow afternoon? They are now saying by tomorrow morning around 4am.

Each day just gets more shocking than the last.

Not sure about NZ as although there are plenty of low laying areas but there's more areas way above sea level so the extent would'nt be as severe as in QLD which is almost all low laying area like WA.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

The latest is now 12 dead and 52 missing. Lets hope all 52 missing are in shelters.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 13arrows

I hope it's Mother Nature and not the HAARP

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Maryborough Flood

Yesterday (11/01/11) Brisbane floods around 3m floodbreak expected to peak at 5.5m+ at 4am on 12/01/11

and like wow this video is very insightfull, watch the whole thing

This is just horrible these guys flooded very badly in Chinchilla on the 28/12/10. Now 2 weeks later there under again and apprently ecoli has now been found in the drinking water in chinchilla and surrounding area's.
Flood one

Flood two weeks later

This is truly amazing footage of Toowoomba watching the water rise

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I know it's nothing in comparison to the disasters, but this is what I faced yesterday. Thought I'd share.

That is what prevented me from helping my daughter and granddaughter when they were evacuated. As phone lines were so tied up it was distressing not being able to contact them for over 2 hours. I cannot begin to imagine what many people have faced out west.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Hey guys. i have just started a thread in which im sure a lot of us aussies would like to know the answer to. i have asked from what country do you come from and how much coverage is our disaster receiving overseas.

i have only started this thread because i really would love to know if we receive the same coverage, offers of help and money that we give to other countries when they are facing a disaster of this magnitude.

im sure a lot of us would love to know if our generosity, compassion and genuine concern is being returned at the moment.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

Add a link, i'm curious to know too!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
What a country this is!!! I have just returned home after being evacuated because of the big bushfire south of Perth. No damage to my place, thank God and thoughts go out to those who lost their homes and animals. All thoughts to you guys in Queensland. The floods have 24 hr coverage on Sky news on Foxtel.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
here is the link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

after getting a few replies from america saying no coverage at all, i sent the following reply:

it seems as though maybe in the u.k and europe it is being told. as for the rest....im shocked.

when the s*** hits the fan in other countries...we are there.....when miners get trapped underground in chile, we go and help dig the hole. when a hurricane hits the u.s, we donate and devote news specials to whats going on. when the u.s decides to go to war with another country, of we freaking go. earthquakes, volcanoes, fires - speaking of which when the west coast of america has their massive forrest fires we send over plane loads of blokes who specialize in being dropped in remote areas and put the bastards out.

i am so proud of my fellow countrymen. one thing i can assure you of is that you will not see pictures on the t.v of people 4 or 5 days later in their houses holding signs saying help us or feed us. you will not see evacuation centres days later with no food or water al la hurricane katrina.

STAND UP AUSTRALIANS AND BE BLOODY PROUD OF YOURSELFS. WHEN THE SHTF, WE HAVE EACH OTHERS BACK.

signature:
up the mighty south sydney rabbitohs

(i hope the response doesnt seem to over the top, but i really was shocked that a country - america - who we race to help, cant even give us 2 minutes in their all important news cycle. i have to listen to their crap about their celebrities..lol )
edit on 12-1-2011 by punterdeb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Here's the ninemsn livestreaming link if anyone can't get it on tv: news.ninemsn.com.au...
Not that I think it's a great source of info, actually it's very repetitive. But for updates it's ok.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join