It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash flood wreaks havoc through Toowoomba Video

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
WOW! Just saw this now on a news bulletin, as someone mentioned in my coral reef thread, today, Toowoomba was another town in QLD that copped it in the rain - look at this!
If that didn't work can someone embed it for me please?

Here's the article here www.couriermail.com.au... n6-1225984664015

One person confirmed dead - many missing, lots of towns being evacuated and many more being urged to get out now! Toowoomba Hasn't seen rain like this in a VERY long time. Their damns have been almost empty for so long, now they are past capacity, the wall of water has ripped houses off their stumps and it's heading down to the lockyer valley now - if you're in QLD and know some people in areas affected, urge them to leave asap - i've got some friends in the affected area I hope are safe!

Towns affected as of news bulletin are: Stanthorpe, Gatton, Lockyer Valley, Helidon and surrounds. This is VERY close to my home & I have family out there so it's quite worrying, I hope all out there stay safe & remember material objects can be replaced, the lives of your family can't so get out before it's too late!

Edit to add: 1 Child confirmed dead in Toowoomba :'(
edit on 10/1/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

Another video from Toowoomba Chronicle youtube site.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
How the hell did that happen in toowoomba???

Its right on top of freekin mountain!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

They just copped about 60mm in an hour and over 150mm over the last 24, and on top of the water we've all had, i guess it couldn't take any more - I heard their dams were at 102% when i could have sworn they were really really low only a month ago, we were considering moving up there and buying a home soon, but the lack of water is what was stopping up - hmmm.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Now Toowoomba is now affected.Looking at the video you can imagine what it would be like. These floods are now starting to devasating effects on towns like never before and is causing heaps of damage. The Queensland floods are now one of the worst floods ever to happen in Queensland and are damaging hundreds of homes along with causing billions of dollors in damage. Some people's houses are ruined you just have to feel sorry for them and I hope people can pull through this together and clean up the mess the floods have made.I really hope everyone affected by the floods is ok.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Bah, everything is cool. I saw grant denyer on the today show this morning and he was having a great time about the floods.

Cant be all bad if a pretend weatherman can have a laff, eh?

Anyway

How the flap can this country be so divided... over here. another 35+ day and muggy as all hell, yet over east, non stop flooding?

What a schizophrenic country Australia is...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I also caught this on the news..
Trajic....I know they are setup for floods with what's been going on lately but this wall of water was huge..
When we here in Victoria went through those fires with HUGE loss of life, Queenslanders and everyone else jumped in to help with donations and assistance..
I'm sure Queensland will get the same..I know I've given what I can..
It's the Aussie way...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Apparently a 7 metre wall of water has headed down and taken out esk completely, Helidon is completley under, Gatton is under according to a friend. I have my mother & sisters-in-law not far from Helidon, so we are trying to get through to them now - a lot of people have been airlifted from their roofs, they say the water came up 3 metres high in under 10 mins. I'll add some more links as I can - this was all info from the 10news at 5pm broadcast & the 6pm Channel 9 news.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by bkaust

I also caught this on the news..
Trajic....I know they are setup for floods with what's been going on lately but this wall of water was huge..
When we here in Victoria went through those fires with HUGE loss of life, Queenslanders and everyone else jumped in to help with donations and assistance..
I'm sure Queensland will get the same..I know I've given what I can..
It's the Aussie way...

It is very much the aussie way & thank you for your post x

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Thanks for posting bkaust,This may help people understand the magnitude of the floods here in queensland.We had over 300mm or 12 inches here yesterday and are now isolated.Basically most of Queensland is now Waterworld, without Kevin Costner . Still searching for dry land.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

No problem, Don't like to have to post it though! Your town is isolated? Where in QLD are you at? We are in west of Brisbane close to Ipswich and are expected to 'cop it' tomorrow. My mum has just run off to get some supplies for us all here - do you have to evacuate? or are you just stranded waiting for some help? 300mm in last 24, i'm going to guess your near the sunshine coast? they said they got the biggest fall in the last 24 - until Toowoomba I guess

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Oh crap I'm about a hour away from that and gulp at the bottom of that mountain .

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

Oh crap I'm about a hour away from that and gulp at the bottom of that mountain .

Get out asap mate, Ipswich is flooded by tomorrow morn, Bris by the afternoon, they said if you're anywhere near the Lockyer creek get.out.now. Stay safe!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I'll just leave this here:

www.qld.gov.au...

For anyone not in Australia who wants to donate a bit of cash to the relief effort, bank transfer details are available on that site.

edit on 10-1-2011 by vox2442 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The wind and rain outside right now is awe inspiring.... Nothing like a good ol' fashioned natural disaster!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This situation is really getting worse by the minute. i just looked on the BOM website and there seems to be a cyclone developing of the coast of fiji and heading towards australia. i have copy and pasted the warning below.

IDQ20080
40:2:2:24:16S154E999:11:00
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland

GALE WARNING 003 ISSUED FROM RSMC NADI Jan 10/0714 UTC 2011 UTC.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION 03F [997HPA] WAS LOCATED NEAR 17.4S 170.1E AT 100600UTC AND
SLOW MOVING.
CLOCKWISE WINDS 30 TO 35 KNOTS WITHIN 250 TO 350 NAUTICAL MILES AWAY FROM THE
CENTRE IN SECTOR NORTHWEST THROUGH NORTH TO SOUTHEAST. WITHIN 180 TO 460
NAUTICAL MILES IN SECTOR SOUTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST, CLOCKWISE 30 TO 35 KNOTS
DEVELOPING NEXT 6-12 HOURS.

THIS WARNING CANCELS AND REPLACES WARNING 002.

RE-ISSUED BY THE BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY, BRISBANE.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
If you're in Brisbane, here's a link to a map of where the houses affected will be. Link to flood map

Below is the list of suburbs where the 455 properties that will be affected on Wednesday 12 January are located. In brackets is the number of properties/parcels of land that will be affected in each suburb.

- Rocklea (80)
- Albion (49)
- Milton (49)
- Auchenflower (40)
- Norman Park (26)
- Pinkenba (26)
- Oxley (19)
- New Farm (17)
- Kangaroo Point (16)
- Bulimba & Sherwood (14 each)
- Yeronga (10)
- Graceville (9)
- Newstead (8)
- Yerongpilly (7)
- Bowen Hills (6)
- Indooroopilly, Windsor (5 each)
- Wacol, Brisbane City, Moggill, East Brisbane, Fortitude Valley (4 each)
- Chelmer, Hemmant, Tennyson (3 each)
- Fairfield, Fig Tree Pocket, Coorparoo, South Brisbane, Lytton, Murrarie (2 each)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb
This situation is really getting worse by the minute. i just looked on the BOM website and there seems to be a cyclone developing of the coast of fiji and heading towards australia. i have copy and pasted the warning below.

IDQ20080
40:2:2:24:16S154E999:11:00
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland

GALE WARNING 003 ISSUED FROM RSMC NADI Jan 10/0714 UTC 2011 UTC.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION 03F [997HPA] WAS LOCATED NEAR 17.4S 170.1E AT 100600UTC AND
SLOW MOVING.
CLOCKWISE WINDS 30 TO 35 KNOTS WITHIN 250 TO 350 NAUTICAL MILES AWAY FROM THE
CENTRE IN SECTOR NORTHWEST THROUGH NORTH TO SOUTHEAST. WITHIN 180 TO 460
NAUTICAL MILES IN SECTOR SOUTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST, CLOCKWISE 30 TO 35 KNOTS
DEVELOPING NEXT 6-12 HOURS.

THIS WARNING CANCELS AND REPLACES WARNING 002.

RE-ISSUED BY THE BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY, BRISBANE.

It's really starting to look like 74' again now. My mum's freaking out, she grew up in toowoomba, and then lived in a suburb where the water went up to their gutters :/ Got family & their dog possibly bunkering down here too as they are in an affected area as of tomorrow

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
if i can give one vital piece of advice, i went through the fires in 2001, that would be if there is ANY chance of you or family being in anyway involved, GET OUT NOW. DONT WAIT AND SEE.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

In the dark... many people will ask where to go. Higher ground you say? That's the roof ain't it?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I have friends in Toowoomba, Ipswich and Bris.. Hope they are ok...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join