It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Are there any remakes you have seen that you found more enjoyable than the original version? Is there such a thing? I can't think of any film in which the remake is significantly better than the original.

Many always complain about remakes, but Hollywood continues to push forward with them.

Here's a list of remakes in the works:

Godzilla (2012) - Warner Bros. wants to reboot the Godzilla story that apparently was present in the 1998 film with this time staying closer to its roots, which I think means he will be attacking other monsters while simultaneously destroying Tokyo (which will likely be portrayed by New York).

Total Recall (TBA) - Colin Farrell has taken Governator's role. I will be disappointed if I don't get to see tri-boob in 3D.

Wizard of Oz (TBA) - Not much info on this, but I thought it was worth mentioning that there is WB's remake, a prequel being made by Disney, an animated sequel by summertime entertainment, and Universal's "Wicked" which is the origin story for the Wicked Witch of the West.

Hellraiser (TBA) - Every horror movie gets remade.

RoboCop (TBA) - This film has Darren Aronofsky directing, so it might end up being pretty good.

Spider-Man Reboot (2012) - Peter Parker all over again, now younger and more awkwardness to relate to.

The Crow (TBA) - A remake of the 1994 original. Since all the sequels featured different characters they were kind of all remakes anyways.

Highlander (TBA) - A remake in this case is a thousand times better than another sequel attempt.

Footloose (2011) - Baconless, as far as I know.

Logan's Run (TBA)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TBA) - This remake is going to live-action and is supposed to stick closer to the original comic books.

Dune (TBA) - This remake won't be by the Sci-Fi channel, although I felt they did a pretty decent job.

Conan the Barbarian (2011) - Jason Mamoa replaces Schwarzenegger and the film promises to be more faithful to Robert E. Howard's original creation.

Short Circuit (TBA) - Johnny 5 is alive!!!

Superman: Man of Steel (2012) - Zach Snyder is directing this film, which is being written by David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan (the writers of "The Dark Knight").

...And basically everything else you can think of!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I didn't know about half of them!

I looking forward to Robocop and Total recall, loved they movies as a kid!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'll tell you this much, there's no way Conan will be Conan without Arnold. He had one of the greatest physiques of all time. I keep up with Pro Bodybuilding and even though bodybuilders today are much bigger than they were during Arnold's era, they still don't compare to the man, and many fans still agree. That look he had was something only genetic's played a factor in. No matter how you work out your not going to look like Arnold. That was solely genetics. He had to lose weight to play that role as well. He used to compete at 245, he was 210 for Conan. They didn't want him looking "TOO BIG" for the camera, lol.

But there's just no way Conan will ever be as good as the original, not unless they do some serious magic with CGI. That role was meant for Arnold, he owned it. Go back and look at the original comics. No one will ever duplicate that. That's a hard role to master. The actor set to play Conan isn't even that big. Sort of tall and lanky. He may be ripped, but Arnold had that thick sinewy powerful muscle. That look that not only look's big, but look's strong to. As far as i'm concerned, Arnold is Conan.

With CGI now a lot of those listed have some serious potential. Especially Wizard of Oz. Godzilla has been done to death, but maybe they can do something different this time, but if not, they need to can it for good.

Be interesting to see how Hellraiser, Robocop, Highlander, and Dune turn out though. Superman, Spiderman, stuff like that just seems to never change. I don't know, I just wasn't impressed with the last Superman or Spiderman truthfully, but that's just me.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Yes i didnt know they are remakeing Dune,thats one film that needs to be done again as the original was a bit w#nk! (David Lynch is my favourite director,but not for that movie)

To answer your question. i cant think of any off the top of my head, exept maybe, The Hills Have Eyes!
edit on 10/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Son79

I completely agree with you. Arnold is Conan, by Krohm! Besides, I doubt that they will get the costumes close to what they did with the original Conan movies. There have been lots of movies made portraying that type of era/clothing, and I think it was said that those Conan movies were the only ones to actually depict the characters the best. I think, Frazetta was the artist that culminated the classic Conan look.

If they do remake Hellraiser, they won't get a better actor that the guy that did Pinhead (I forget his name, Bradley something). I wouldn't touch those. They are going to lose a lot of what Hellraiser (the first 2) brought to the table.

The Crow, leave it be. The first was awesome, the second was passable, and the rest....I don't even recall them.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Oh gosh so many good films about to be ruined

I think the only remakes i liked more then original and i mean slightly more was dawn of the dead and kinda and i mean kinda liked the assualt on precint 13 remake, but you cant beat the original soundtrack though

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm just loathing the remakes of recent remakes.

I mean, Spiderman and Superman were both rebooted recently....to do it AGAIN just seems desperate.

I personally think Routh was perfect as the man of steel, but the story of that movie blew...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball
Oh gosh so many good films about to be ruined

Exactly, man hollywood really is out of ideas.

Just imagine how rubbish ben hur would be today with the rubbish acting, and the cgi.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think Brandon Routh is a phenomenal actor and did a great job as Superman/Clark Kent too. They haven't started casting for the film yet but there is a rumor that they may bring Routh back. The rumor about the script is that it features Lex Luthor and Brainiac. They also said that Superman and Batman are NOT going to exist in a shared universe so they don't seem to be setting up an eventual Superman/Batman or Justice League film.

However the "Green Lantern" movie script originally had a cameo for Clark Kent who is being considered a candidate to wear the power ring, but the director says it will not be in the film, the writer is still pushing to get it included in the movie. David Goyer wrote a script for a movie called "Supermax" which would feature Green Arrow being arrested, unmasked and placed in a maximum security prison where he would be stuck with all sorts of villains from the DC Universe. Most of the villains would be B or C-listers in the DCU, but it had cameos from Joker, Lex Luthor, and the Riddler.

I'm not sure why Sony wanted to do a Spider-Man reboot. I know that Sam Raimi left the franchise, but as far as I know all the actors were still on board. Spider-Man 3 did get very mixed reviews as compared to the previous two film's generally positive reviews, but was still a box office success. I really disliked Spider-Man 3 and was never a fan of Tobey Maguire or Kirsten Dunst so I don't mind it so much.

"Fantastic Four" and "Daredevil" will be getting reboots too.

Speaking of Super-Hero reboots.. it was a really short amount of time between Eric Bana's Hulk and Edward Norton's Hulk. The Avenger's Hulk is Mark Ruffalo, so I wonder if they are going to develop another movie for him. I didn't mention X-Men: First Class, since it is a prequel and not technically a reboot. I think Thomas Jane's "The Punisher" and Ray Stevenson's "Punisher: Warzone" was even shorter.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Dolph Lundgren also did a Punisher film though the time between that the one with john travolta was a bit more lengthy then to recent reboot. I have to say though the Dolph Lundgren one was the best one by far

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Amityville Horror.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Im so sick of all these new remakes of awesome and classic films that hollywood is churning out for a quick quid. Remakes are never as good as the original, Of the dead trilogy, Halloween, REC, Let the right one in ,most j-horrors etc. Why remake great films ? it shows a lack of creativity, people too lazy to create new and fresh films remake classics to ride on the success of the originals.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Most remakes are much worse than the original film. Friday the 13th remake was ridiculous but the Nightmare on Elm Street wasn't too bad. Uninvited was a good remake I think the only one I actually liked

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy
Are there any remakes you have seen that you found more enjoyable than the original version? Is there such a thing? I can't think of any film in which the remake is significantly better than the original.

I really like the "War of The World's" remake. Scared me half to death! I am sure that if I saw the original when it originally aired I might think differently but I didn't and this remake still freaks me out...Watched it last night while it was storming

Here's a list of remakes in the works:

Godzilla (2012) - Warner Bros. wants to reboot the Godzilla story that apparently was present in the 1998 film with this time staying closer to its roots, which I think means he will be attacking other monsters while simultaneously destroying Tokyo (which will likely be portrayed by New York).

How many versions do we really need? This is a waste. No more Godzilla!

Total Recall (TBA) - Colin Farrell has taken Governator's role. I will be disappointed if I don't get to see tri-boob in 3D.

Loved this movie and will only go see the remake because Colin Farrell is in it..

Wizard of Oz (TBA) - Not much info on this, but I thought it was worth mentioning that there is WB's remake, a prequel being made by Disney, an animated sequel by summertime entertainment, and Universal's "Wicked" which is the origin story for the Wicked Witch of the West.

This shouldn't be allowed! This is a classic, why do they always want to redo it and ruin them?!

Hellraiser (TBA) - Every horror movie gets remade.

RoboCop (TBA) - This film has Darren Aronofsky directing, so it might end up being pretty good.

Im all for more pinhead! I wouldn't mind a remake, it's been a while since we have had one of those movies.

Wasn't a fan of RoboCop so I don't care if they remake it lol

Spider-Man Reboot (2012) - Peter Parker all over again, now younger and more awkwardness to relate to.

The Crow (TBA) - A remake of the 1994 original. Since all the sequels featured different characters they were kind of all remakes anyways.

There are previews for both of these movies on IMDB.com

I saw the one for Spider Man, and it didn't interest me but Im sure it will make tons of money because it's Spiderman.

Footloose (2011) - Baconless, as far as I know.

This is going to be so lame if it hasn't come out already and gone straight to DVD.

Conan the Barbarian (2011) - Jason Mamoa replaces Schwarzenegger and the film promises to be more faithful to Robert E. Howard's original creation.

I saw a preview for this last night and OMG hello...lol I will definitely have to see this
I liked the guy who plays Conan, he was in Stargate Atlantis.

Short Circuit (TBA) - Johnny 5 is alive!!!

This I will have to see. I use to love those movies!

They also want to remake "Flight of The Navigator.," "Monster Squad"
Two of my favorite movies as a kid. They need no remaking!

AS for good ones there are plenty I have enjoy. I like Rob Zombies horror remakes. He actually scares me lol I tried to watch Halloween 2 and it creeped me out so bad I turned it off and still haven't watched the end lol

top topics

join