It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Craziest and Best singers of all time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Who else is crazy or good?? I like James LaBrie, but that's just obvious I guess.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Robert Plant

Sade

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Kate bush

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I can recommend Mike Patton, Fatomas, Mr Bungle, Faith No More etc...
enjoy

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Tiny Tim. LOL, maybe not the craziest, but definitely one of the weirdest. He was so afraid he'd burn in hell if he masturbated or had sex with a woman out of wedlock. So what he would do to pass the time with a woman was cover her in peanut butter while she was naked. That wasn't a sin you see, lol. But I don't think Tim realized not eating the peanut butter was. Don't you just love peanut butter? Especially late at night on wheat bread with a banana or honey and a tall glass of ice cold milk? WOW. It was truly a sin not to eat that butter y'all. Oh my goodness i'm starting to sound like Paula Dean or that sounded like something Paula would say, but she's a cook and we're talking about music artist's, so we'll get to her another day.

But then again if Tim would've eaten the pb that would've been classified as oral sex I suppose and that my friend's would have been a sin. Poor Tim.

It's really hard to tell who's REALLY crazy and who's just putting on a show to get publicity to sell albums. The two biggest names I can think of that pull stunts solely for publicity is Brittany Spears and Kayne West. Many many others do it to, and they will sometimes tell you its all an act, but B Spears and Kayne are serious attention hoe dogs.

But there really is some crazy nut's in the music industry as well. Be interesting to know who really is that crazy and who's just putting on a show.
edit on 10-1-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Chris Cornell

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
As for best singer, i agree with Speculativeoptimist,Chris Cornell,followed closely by Eddie Vedder,Jeff Buckley and Freddie Mercury!

As for craziest,its gotta be these lunatics:

MULLIGAN & O'HARE

edit on 10/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Robert #ing Plant.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well if were going on range (both range of craziness and vocal range) then I guess the 80's incarnation of Mariah Carey has to win, she had a whistle register that gave dogs a headache

edit on 12-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Chris Cornell

Peace,
spec

I've always known there was something I liked about you haha.
Say Hello To Heaven is one of my favorites, in addition to Cornell you have Mike McCready playing some of the greatest guitar work of the decade....its sad though that Andrew Wood's death spurred that album....

I would have to choose (since Spec stole my choice):

David Cook, its a shame that he is so entwined the American Idol crowd, because this guy has some of the best pipes around....and just to show my Cornell allegiance, here he is covering a Cornell version of another cover....Follow that.....and the song is one of the greatest of all time as well if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Thanks for the kind words ydsm, always glad to discover like-mindedness here. You are right about McCready, and the whole album is quite soul-stirring, and RIP Andrew. I also love Times Of Trouble...a lot!!!

I think Cook has a great voice too and dug the Billy Jean song.
As far as crazy, good ole Iggy Pop came to mind:

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Freddie Freaking Mercury.
The best male singer of all the human history. Period.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
When I saw crazy singer, this is what I thought of.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
So many factors can decide upon a brilliant vocalist. The truth be told, actual vocal talent isn't even number one or two on the list of requirements. Some of the greatest "singers" of all time would be the first to tell you that they couldn't sing a lick.

Some, like Bob Dylan, are brilliant poets and writers.
Others, like Kurt Cobain, manage to manifest the collective subconscious in their very identity.
And still others, like Jim Morrison, just awe us.

So, for the sake of this post I am ignoring the esoteric qualities and focusing simply upon vocal talent. And, even more specifically, vocal talent within the realm of hard rock music - as this is the music form which most moves me personally.

Based upon the limited criteria I have mentioned, I will pick the man I feel was the best vocalist from the 80's to the 90's and the guy who, I think, is now the best. I might throw in a couple of honorable mentions as well.

Best singer from my younger days Geoff Tate of the band Queensryche.

And the heir to the throne: Brent Smith of the band Shinedown.

To me, as far as pure natural vocal talent goes, these two are very hard to beat within the realm of modern interpretations of rock.

Of course, as many in this thread have pointed out... These men do stand on the shoulders of giants, such as Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, Elvis Presley, Jim Morrison, and one of my favorites who has yet to be mentioned, Roger Daltrey.

Now a couple of honorable mentions... One my favorite vocalist/songwriter... the other just plain fun!

Dax Riggs - my absolute fave

and the guy who brings out my rowdier side these days:

Shaun Morgan of Seether.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

join