It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Loughner legally purchased his weapon – a Glock 19 with an extended magazine – from an Arizona store. The same kind of extended magazine was illegal under the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004.

“The ability to buy a weapon that fires hundreds of bullets in less than a minute,” said Quigley. “He had an additional magazine capability. That’s not what a hunter needs. That’s not what someone needs to defend their home. That’s what you use to hunt people.”

Read more: www.politico.com...

They are going to be moving quick, peeps!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Had it prefabbed eh?

Figures

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Boehner on FOX:

"The normal business of the house in the coming week has been postponed so that we can take necessary action regarding yesterday's events. The majority leader will announce a revised schedule"

Things might really get going or it may be an innocuous interruption. Be prepared and stay safe ...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Yes, they have it all ready, giving the catch phrase "Let's Roll!" a whole new meaning ...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I can't say I didn't see this one coming. It was obvious that they'd use this to push gun control especially with the attention AZ gets because of the lax gun policies.

Truthfully, this kid was just nuts and this would have happened regardless of gun control. Maybe if we had very strict gun control laws here and he couldn't get a gun so easily, he would have resorted to using a bomb and could have actually killed more people than he did with the gun.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well, here's the thing. If people try to take the guns away from a lot of the folks who live down here in the south there will be violence. This is just a fact. There are too many people who have waited their entire lives for the moment when the government tries to grab the guns. It's not a smart move.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Had it prefabbed eh?

Figures

There are numerous discussions ongoing about this, but to answer your question, yes, she did. McCarthy introduces gun ban bills into Congress almost every year, so no doubt, she had one ready to go.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Because of grandfathering any bill regulating high cap mags is essentially a waste of ink.

It would be at least a century before there was any measurable reduction in their availability.

And, no, hunters don't need them. But so what? This is a fundamental property right. It has nothing to do with hunting. Never did.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
so, its ok to restrict and ban guns on us citizens, but its ok to not ban gun sales from CIA to taliban or mexican drug lords?? how hippocratic is that

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Given her obsession with banning anything even remotely gun related, Carolyn McCarthy needs a mental health evaluation.

She could possibly still be inflicted with PTSD after losing her husband, and as such, does not belong in any position of power with the ability to restrict our Constitutionally protected rights.

For people who are supposed to protect the Constitution, these idiots in Congress should try reading the damn thing since they obviously have no clue what it contains.

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
How can they say he was 'unstable' and had a record (or did he?) yet was able to legally purchase

a weapon?

doesn't make sense.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

Unfortunately, it does make sense. It likely means that he was never reported to whoever maintains the federal database used on the instant background check. Its either a failure of the local police to report it or to get him help, or a failure of a system that didn't allow a provision for a person like this to be screened for mental health issues.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

Uggg.. She is an idiot... Gun control does nothing but target law abiding citizens. When the Brady bill was in effect, it did nothing to cut down on gun crimes. Outlawing hicap magazines will do absolutely nothing other than people buying 2 magazines instead of the one.

Using this incident for political reasons is so innappropriate its not even funny. What pisses me off the most is Congress haveing kneejerk reactions with this type of stuff. We cant get Congress to take illegal immigration seriously. We cant get Congress to take the National debt seriously. We cant get Congress to take anything that is important seriously.

To me the only reason she is doing this is because she is a member of Congress and a member of Congress of shot and seriously wounded.

Epic fail on here prart. Maybe if Congress got their asses in gear and actually fixed problems, we might have better funding for programs like psychiatric services, scientific research into that area etc etc etc

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Media was covering the change in schedule the speaker was talking about. They were suppose to have a debate / vote on repealing Healthcare. The schedule was changed from what I saw so members can do their thing to adjust to the incident.

Capital Police also were reviewing their security procedures.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
By the way, just because it never, ever gets old, here's an example of McCarthy letting the world know just how well she understands the firearms she wants to ban:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

That never does get old, does it?

It sets off a whirlwind of emotions. I smile because she's an idiot, I frown because she keeps pushing her stupidity and I weep uncontrollably because all around this country people just as stupid as she is are lurking in the shadows waiting to lop my hands off because a fist is a deadly weapon.

Well meaning stupidity must cause thousands of deaths a year.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think this is sick - they are profiteering off of the murder of a federal judge. Never let a good crisis go to waste, huh? I think Grey's Anatomy caused Jared to do the shootings - can we pass laws restricting the portrayal of mass shootings, especially when the fictional shooter is named the same as the actual shooter?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Hey, has anyone seen the information in regards to the wacko's crime history?

The two times he had run-ins with the law, his record was expunged because he had some classes or something.

If we could see into those records, we would probably see that the court probably realized the guy was wacked and nothing was done about it.

I will see if I can find the article where I read about that.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Its amazing the types of crimes/offenders who get preferential treatment and the kinds of crimes/offenders who get the full force of the law thrown at them for the smallest/victimless offense.

The judicial system is a mess.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Your rights evaporating quicker than 190 proof in a fire.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join