posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:30 AM
SOUTH KOREA on Monday rejected North Korea's latest offer of dialogue, saying the communist country must be judged on its deeds rather than its
The North made what it called a formal proposal on Saturday for an 'unconditional and early opening' of talks within weeks. The latest offer
followed an apparent easing in tensions, which soared after the North shelled a South Korean border island on November 23 and killed four people
But Seoul's unification ministry, which handles cross-border relations, rejected the latest overture. 'It's hard to consider it as a sincere offer
of dialogue,' said spokesman Chun Hae Sung, adding the North should first show it is serious about denuclearisation.
'North Korea must also take responsible steps our people can accept' over the November shelling and the sinking of a South Korean warship in March
last year, he said.
'The door for dialogue is open if North Korea shows a sincere attitude,' Mr Chun added. The South says the North torpedoed the ship near the
disputed Yellow Sea border with the loss of 46 lives, a charge Pyongyang denies.