It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret's Out: Internet Media Is Beginning to Report That Jared Loughner Is a Member Of Abovetop

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I too suspect that there will be curious people checking out this site due to hearing about it in connection with this tragedy.

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
The fact that he may have been a member here has nothing to do with ATS. ATS does not have a responsibility to make any statement. With the caliber of some people here, this will probably not be the last time a deranged psychopath joins ranks then goes nukkin futs for lack of a better term.

What is likely to happen, is a whole heard of people flooding this site over the coming weeks. That may or may not be where a problem arises. Depending on the personalities of the coming influx it could be a disaster or make for some interesting topics.

I will wait with bated breath...

Edited to add that a "Our condolences" would not be bad, but I don't think they should be pressured to do so.
edit on 9-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

link   
Perhaps we could suggest that Overlord require a battery of psych evaluations and IQ tests before allowing anyone to post here?

Seriously, though, is this website any different from the community where you live? If your next door neighbor did something, does that mean the entire neighborhood becomes suspect or has the same mentality?

I have noticed that sometimes when there is an obvious "misfit character" that many posters treat them with sincerity, kindness, and a genuine interest and that is probably what they most need.

All should be welcome here.

link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I hope this blows over, and I respect people that believe ATS is not obligated to issue a statement. I'm sure Ats isn't obligated to do anything. I just want to make sure everyone knows that if we are portrayed, we will be portrayed badly. It is not fair, but it is how things are.
If there is anything that can be done to lessen the ridicule in a reasonable matter, we should do it.
I suggested a small statement, as a professional courtesy. Do you have any suggestions to combat the stigma that could arise from this?
Right now, I prefer the wait and see approach.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I also wanted to say I hope that being linked in the media to this shooter, in any form, will not ruiin the website. I really enjoy spending time here, and reading all of the different topics.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think we are too strong to be taken down by this =)
I like this place too, and most of the people here. I can see that people are misinterpreting my posts though. I never said we should fear, or limit people or their rights.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
doesnt YOUTUBE have something to answer for as well then if they let a user of their website show footage of them burning a flag? isnt that a crime in your crazy america?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If it is a crime, it should not be!

Originally posted by questcequecest
doesnt YOUTUBE have something to answer for as well then if they let a user of their website show footage of them burning a flag? isnt that a crime in your crazy america?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Have fun with the mess that was placed under your door ATS. It will probably all blow over anyway.
If no one cares about changing media perceptions, so be it.
Personally, I think everyone should go back and read my posts. I am making good points.

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Keeping in mind that this hasn't been substantiated and that even one loss of life is one too many ... we should also understand that ATS is an open forum which anyone can join and as such is largely reflective of society at large. In this context one should pause and note that there are over 200,000 members registered with over 100,000 being active and that if it proves that the member in question is in fact the perpetrator it would total two confirmed members who historically have engaged in these despicable acts. In the US, the murder statistics for 2005 for example were about 5.6 per 100,000. www.disastercenter.com...

This is a very delicate subject and so I wish to be perfectly clear ... I am neither defending, justifying, or minimizing the tragedy at hand. Just noting that with a membership as large as that of ATS, life events will unfold here as they do in real life ... including all the beautiful, the tragic, and everything in between.

link   
If it also shows that he ate ice cream, I don't think an ice cream company has to offer anything but condolances to those slain.
I think that ATS has nothing to worry about.
Though, with spin doctors working full time on this, they may get unfair publicity.

Note to Mods, get your own spin doctors working on this. As I'm sure a press release is already in the works.

2 cents

link   
reply to post by Negotium of Verum

No. I have no clue on how to lessen the stigma. I walk around with visible tattoos, piercings, and a panda stocking hat. Stigma doesn't register anywhere near my daily radar.

I do understand what you are saying though. I think theer is not anything much we can do seriously. People (like most on here) have been or will be regarded as crazy, on the fringe, paranoid etc because we seek out things and truths others never even think about. If they don't have an open mind they will always ASSume the worst. There is nothing you can do.

I think any public statement will just draw more attention to ATS. They may want that as well. More clicks = More Money and daddy can always use a new pair of shoes.

ATS will survive and we'll all move on to the next big conspiracy!

edit on 9-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is, this guy was probably a member of a lot of sites, it just so happens someone was able to connect him to one here.

ATS is a big site, with a massive amount of traffic, there bound to be some members here with extremist views or who may even act those out.

Posts on this site rarely approach the level of vitriol or nuttiness I've seen posted on some of these news-related blogs, most of which lack any form of moderation.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Every mass killer for the last twenty years has been on Pharmaceutical drugs. I remember a guest on Coast to Coast AM pointing that out one time, but I cannot remember the specific family of drugs that all the killers were taking. All hail big pharma! Save us from the boogie man.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
ATS won't be called into account over this, though the wrong spin in the media might have a severely detrimental effect - which is something I am sure the Amigo's are prepared to cope with, should it start to happen.

When it is all said and done ATS is just a site that allows anyone with a valid email to join. As long as the site T&C's were obeyed, Adolph Hitler could be a member of this community and it would not reflect upon us, our message, or this sites credibility.

Worrying that he was a member here is no different, really, than being worried if he ate at Mcdonalds or Taco Bell. The behaviors are not correlative to his acts.

~Heff
edit on 1/9/11 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
This is a heavily moderated forum where people can speak freely...as long as they abide by the T&C. I don't see how any apology or anything else is required to appease those looking to ban free speech. I have no doubt it will be shown that the suspect is on one or more pharmaceutical drugs and has done what the contraindications of said drugs could potentially happen...which are always buried in the fine print.

Sure, it's just a pill and some half-wit doctor prescribes it without doing the due diligence to determine whether or not the ramifications of said script will have an affect not expected.

Then again, this is a knee jerk nation that would rather pounce on a scrap of propaganda than a pound of fact.
edit on 9-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
He was also a member on Youtube and Myspace. 116,191 members have posted on ATS. This one committed a terrible crime. It is very regrettable and I feel awful for the victims and the families of the deceased victims, but ATS is not responsible. In fact, if you look at his threads here, he was not a well-accepted member of the community. Several other posters thought he was nuts. I have no doubt that media outlets like Fox and CNN will try to spin everyone on ATS into nutjobs though.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

No. It is protected under our "Freedom of Speech"

www.kansaspress.ku.edu...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

if there is a massive amount of traffic here why dont we all goto their sites and just all click on the same thing wont that some how stuff up their whatever??? instead of making the same threads about the same things.. it seems we whinge and moan we cant do anything to stop them surely we can annoy them by shutting down key sites but an influx of traffic?
we arent any better than the hippys we sit around in our own little scene instead of crossing over to their scene like they do to us.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
There is a great collection of ideas here, mingled with some whack-o fascinations, but the mods keep things fair and have guidelines. It's professional and most importantly we will be strong when under attack. We have some great minds on here.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I agree that we will most likely be fine.
I also agree that with a member-base this large some bad seeds are inevitable.
Hell, the problem lies with the nature of this site. The media will put a bad spin on this because of the content we discuss. That is the only reason I suggested the statement in the first place. I'm sure it is being handled anyway, I was just speculating out loud for all the world to hear. Perhaps I should stop?
edit on 9-1-2011 by Negotium of Verum because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join