It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Thinking 'Outside the Box'! Just Stop It. It's Complete Idiocy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If I hear this phrase one more time,I'm going to scream. Seriously,when will people realize that there is no box and that there never was one to begin with?

This phrase is a reference to being able to see and think beyond the mostly artificial and sometimes real intellectual barriers society has constructed and is further enhanced and reinforced by the education system and the media. It's only when people realize that there is no box that they will truly be able to stand back in a combination of awe and horror and see the world around them as it really is. Realization of no box to begin with is true liberation as you suddenly find your vision of the world greatly expanded. As a result,you will find yourself needing and wanting to further educate yourself as your new-found sense of greatness and freedom begins to open new doors of possibility which,in turn, present you with greater challenges which,when overcome,leads to a sense of great fulfillment.

Law, order and social boundaries are good but the world-at-large, where most of it's daily affairs are concerned, has descended into a warped form of mental containment and social conformity which ultimately stifles and stunts human evolution and social progress. So, the next time some smarty-pants manager or 'holier-than-thou' intellectual attempts to brow-beat you and tells you to 'think outside the box', I challenge you to dryly reply: "I prefer to trash it as it just gets in my way and clutters up my view of the world."

You've got to act your way to new of thinking,not the other way around, no matter how much the people responsible for constructing the box would like you to believe otherwise. A mind must be first emptied before it can be refilled. I challenge you to empty your mind of the boxes and refill it with a new,truer sense of reality that exists without them.

By the way, I realize I'm just preaching to a very well-informed choir here and I will respect and accept any verbal beat-downs I get from doing so.

edit on 9-1-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

edit on 9-1-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content[/editby
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ummm! Didn't you come to know all this because you thought 'Out Of The Box' surely it's when you are trapped in the box that you can't see the reality of what is going on around you. At least that's what I've always understood it to be.

Perhaps I've misunderstood!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I mean... I see what you're getting at.

But it is just an expression meaning "look for the solution outside of the obvious". I don't think the existence or non-existence of a metaphorical box has anything to do with it....

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I think you, the OP, know exactly what thinking outside the box means, your whole post described it.

Thinking "outside" the box merely acknowledges that there was a box to begin with, while believing that there is no box makes it seem to you that there was no original societal/intellectual border to begin with.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
if there are people who can think a different way why havent they devised tests to see if you can think the same as them or atleast in the same vain? surely there is some little experiment we can do to see if we have broken the old way of thinking? if u can test ppl to see if they will fit in the existing box why not to see if they can exist outside of it.
its all bull# we are just animals we will never be able to do great things. not until we are modified. and by modified i mean as u said erasing everything u have ever known, but then again who wants that? im sure a whole bunch wont.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wiseupall
Ummm! Didn't you come to know all this because you thought 'Out Of The Box' surely it's when you are trapped in the box that you can't see the reality of what is going on around you. At least that's what I've always understood it to be.

Yes,but you must realize that there are a great many people in this world who were never 'in the box' to begin with. Just the very notion that everyone starts out 'in the box' or winds up in one is one of the great intellectual death-traps of this world.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon

Yes,but you must realize that there are a great many people in this world who were never 'in the box' to begin with. Just the very notion that everyone starts out 'in the box' or winds up in one is one of the great intellectual death-traps of this world.

From the point of Birth you are put in a box - a one that is dictated by the way you are raised. But as you grow you begin to have your own thoughts. Metaphorically speaking, you step outside of your home and see a big wide world. Then society puts you into a box that box is called 'conforming to the norm' but eventually you grow more and step outside of that box and decide whether or not to explore further. Most people find it all too confusing and jump back in the box and feel more comfortable.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Good stuff, but we're all in a box of some kind; the box I'm in might not be the same box you're in, but we're still both in the "ATS box" - we're still sitting here talking on the ATS Forums
Anyway I get what you're trying to say and I think it's a good thing and I agree with you... just trying to lighten up the mood a little bit.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

I AM the box.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Time2Think
Good stuff, but we're all in a box of some kind; the box I'm in might not be the same box you're in, but we're still both in the "ATS box" - we're still sitting here talking on the ATS Forums
Anyway I get what you're trying to say and I think it's a good thing and I agree with you... just trying to lighten up the mood a little bit.

I thank you for that. Sometimes we get so wound up with our daily affairs that we forget to stop and actually find something to at least grin about.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by Time2Think

I AM the box.

Eureka! You have just solved the whole thing. Be your own box! Brilliant.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

From the point of Birth you are put in a box - a one that is dictated by the way you are raised. But as you grow you begin to have your own thoughts. Metaphorically speaking, you step outside of your home and see a big wide world. Then society puts you into a box that box is called 'conforming to the norm' but eventually you grow more and step outside of that box and decide whether or not to explore further. Most people find it all too confusing and jump back in the box and feel more comfortable.

That is an interesting point indeed and one worth seriously considering. Why would people find things so confusing that they would willingly jump back into the confining,relative safety of the 'box'? Perhaps it has something with the fact that the very makeup of society doesn't permit or make time for the adequate education needed to prepare people to face the world in a broader sense and be able to face it with less,irrational fear. We fear the unknown so the more we are properly educated,the less fear we should feel allowing us to step further out and explore things more.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

That is an interesting point indeed and one worth seriously considering. Why would people find things so confusing that they would willingly jump back into the confining,relative safety of the 'box'? Perhaps it has something with the fact that the very makeup of society doesn't permit or make time for the adequate education needed to prepare people to face the world in a broader sense and be able to face it with less,irrational fear. We fear the unknown so the more we are properly educated,the less fear we should feel allowing us to step further out and explore things more.

Answer to your Q.
Because the first and second box conditions us to expect that if there is anything uncomfortable in life 'someone will sort it and do something about it' ie If you lose your job - the state will provide. If you become ill the health service will put you right. etc etc etc. So when they step outside of the box and see there are things in life that scare them - what do they do. Assume that there must be someone there to sort it and trust that they will, because in the box you have been living - they always did.
But in third world countries the box has invisible walls, from the point of birth and they don't have the safety nets that we have all become accustomed to. They see very early on - the unfairness of life but don't have access to education or the ability to do anything about it. And let's face it neither do we! Our educational system in the west is governed by the elite and we learn what they want us to learn - it's indoctrination in a very clever way. You are socially presured into conforming - keep your head down and believe what they're teaching you. Raise your head above the parapit and you will not get those higher paid jobs and if you do you wont get that promotion. The more you keep your mouth shut, the higher you go and the better the salary. Thats why they jump back in the box of comfort.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It was obvious since before school even that I was "outside the box" with my thinking. When that expression came along I just acknowledged most everyone else had a packaged way about their processes. I never had a boss ask to to go outside the box, they usually just came to me when they wanted a different take on some problem.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Just one more thing to ponder: When we jump back in that box of chocolates it's like a drug that keeps taking us back to out comfort zone.
But if your little box is full of problems - as most are - your too busy trying to solve them yourself ie., financial burdens, physical/mental/emotional abuse, violence in your life, hunger, sexual abuse, racial, disabilites etc., Well you are certainly not going to look outside are you?
That is exactly how the elite and the ruling class are able to rule and keep you all in your little boxes while they control the big box that they want to keep us in so that we don't see what is going on and the walls of those little boxes of humanity are very thick and have many layers.

Answer to your Q.
Because the first and second box conditions us to expect that if there is anything uncomfortable in life 'someone will sort it and do something about it' ie If you lose your job - the state will provide. If you become ill the health service will put you right. etc etc etc. So when they step outside of the box and see there are things in life that scare them - what do they do. Assume that there must be someone there to sort it and trust that they will, because in the box you have been living - they always did.
But in third world countries the box has invisible walls, from the point of birth and they don't have the safety nets that we have all become accustomed to. They see very early on - the unfairness of life but don't have access to education or the ability to do anything about it. And let's face it neither do we! Our educational system in the west is governed by the elite and we learn what they want us to learn - it's indoctrination in a very clever way. You are socially presured into conforming - keep your head down and believe what they're teaching you. Raise your head above the parapit and you will not get those higher paid jobs and if you do you wont get that promotion. The more you keep your mouth shut, the higher you go and the better the salary. Thats why they jump back in the box of comfort.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

edit on 9-1-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
How's the golf game, Bob?

We're presently experiencing a paradigm shift, our team players are addressing their core competencies, and once we're fully online with thinking outside of the box I am confident that it will be a win win situation.

As a team player, Bob, I'm confident that you're on board with this.

'Preciate it.

new topics

top topics

join