It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile launcher found in Escondido Dumpster

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GammaRayBurst

One of my companies once lost a STE phone, that was an absolute freaking nightmare.

If the AT4 tube had been used at the range, I'm sure there will be record of that and this story will fade away.

On the other hand if they trace it back to something else, this is a problem.
edit on 9/1/11 by MikeboydUS because: !

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The AT4 and the AT4-CS are one shot disposable weapons. I know for a FACT you can get M66 and M72 LAWS rocket tubes at the gun show and even at flea markets. The spent tubes are useless. Just something to have and hang on the wall. The tube most likely was brought back from Iraq or some place like that. Unless the serial number tracks back to one that was missing or stolen I do not see a problem here. Probably just some one clearing out some unwanted junk.

edit on 1/9/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by GammaRayBurst

One of my companies once lost a STE phone, that was an absolute freaking nightmare.

If the AT4 tube had been used at the range, I'm sure there will be record of that and this story will fade away.

On the other hand if they trace it back to something else, this is a problem.
edit on 9/1/11 by MikeboydUS because: !

I recall one night that a set of night vision (NODs) were lost, 14's to boot. We ended up having the entire batallion in formation, running a 4 mile airfield over and over at one hour intervals until it was discovered someone miscounted. The entire post was locked down for the duration of it, lasting about seven hours.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I recall one night that a set of night vision (NODs) were lost, 14's to boot. We ended up having the entire batallion in formation, running a 4 mile airfield over and over at one hour intervals until it was discovered someone miscounted. The entire post was locked down for the duration of it, lasting about seven hours.

You probably remember this place... YAKIMA ..!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c42e0b0d0f23.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

My guess is that since it was found in Escondido, someone had the idea to sell it to the drug
cartels and didnt say that it was a one shot deal, they were going to let them think that
it can be reloaded many times.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GammaRayBurst
You probably remember this place... YAKIMA ..!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c42e0b0d0f23.jpg[/atsimg]

I've been there on multiple training occasions. The thing I most recall about my initial response was the drive up there and how drastically the scenery changes from lush green mountains, or snow covered depending on which time, to familiar Yakistan empty grassy hills and dirt.

It has either been incredibly hot and dry, or extremely cold and wet. The second time I went up there as a SPC, I got stuck on KP and ended up disarming a punk PVT who was getting chaptered and hadn't been paid in weeks. He got into a tiff with another PVT in the same situation and the latter PVT told him to quit whining. I separated them and when the first whiny PVT came back he rifled through a pan and got a knife out and started cutting himself madly. After I processed it I went to grab it from his hand and he bolted out the door, by the time I caught him he turned it on me and I promptly beat the crap out of the cherry and choked him out from behind for almost a minute until he started seizing. The third time I went there I ate field chow once, never got a shower, and ran out of any form of toilet paper or substitue the last two days, some of my joes got rashes from using alternatives. The fourth time I dislocated my shoulder after knocking out one of my TL's. After popping it back in, and four hours had passed, the medic had the guts to tell me to make sure it was out next time so he could document it. Luckily, I wasn't up for another dislocation. The fifth time I went there was such confusion that I ended up saying # it and slept in the back of another unit's FMTV for the first night. It was definately the coldest time I had gone, though not the first with snow. I had also done a tattoo on myself that week, but the rotation got changed and we left three weeks earlier than we were supposed to.

Memories. Don't even get me started on NTC in Cali.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
My memory was the XO's jeep. Of course the XO left his gear in the jeep, including NODS, secure radio, and weapons. It was in front of the field O' club at noon. Never did find the jeep or NODS. The rest turned up hanging from the flag pole. Did I forget to mention he wasn't well liked. Glad I was out processing at that time.

On the main topic, depending on the tube material it may have been sold for scrap, and somebody grabbed one for a souvenir. I remember a load of LAW's being sold to a scraper and ending up in Hong Kong a few years ago, and a lot ended up on the streets.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

Attempted to edit my post but was denied due to time limit.

The correction is that used/fired LAW launcher tubes were sold to a scrapper in HK.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Look at the props they use in the movies

this wast a spent weapon and was useless

for combat. Also armorys are broken into and

robbed often you just don't hear of it, could have

come from anywhere, maybe training.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
you can buy the AT-4 launchers at many surplus shops. Airsofters and paintballers rig them to shoot nerf rockets in wargames, look here:

They are demilled by the DRMO punching a hole in the body somewhere to render it inert, and doing something to the launcher mechanisim
so anyhow, these are readily available pretty much anywhere, if you google "at4 launcher for sale" you'll see lots of em for sale, I'm considering buying one and putting it on my wall...sbctinfantry , youre incorrect, theyre NOT illegal to possess or own ....thus, fired M136 AT4 and M72A2 devices are not subject to the NFA or the Gun Control Act of 1968. It would not be a violation of Federal law to possess an empty M136 AT4 and M72A2 tube.
Nothing unusual here folks, move along, no conspiracies to shoot down planes...

Oh, just to add, I remember at NTC in Jan 1996, a unit lost a set of NODS, they had to do the 'Hands Across The Desert" a few times to find em, and I remember a unit up in Alaska lost a pair that ended up at the dump, that whole bn spend DAYS tearing it apart to find em lol my CO said you were to take your NODS EVERYWHERE, even to the porta potty, if you didnt have em on your person that was a counseling statement, 2 of em got you a company-grade Article 15
edit on 1/12/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join