It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gabrielle Giffords shooting reignites row over rightwing rhetoric in US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Gabrielle Giffords shooting reignites row over rightwing rhetoric in US

www.guardian.co.uk

The US was tonight seized by a fierce debate over whether inflammatory rightwing rhetoric was to blame for a shooting spree in Tucson, Arizona...

"When people do that, they have got to realise there are consequences to that action," Giffords said. Palin today distanced herself from the shooting, as did leading figures of the Tea Party movement. Conservative bloggers accused liberals of seeking to exploit the attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
ATS - LEARN FROM THIS!

It's all well and good to be passionate about our debates, and to really care about the subjects we discuss. But the right-wing hatemongering MUST STOP.

If you hate Muslims, fine keep it to yourself. If you hate lefties or liberals, fine keep it to yourself. If you hate ANYONE, keep it to your damn self.

We don't want anyone else being gunned down simply because your ignorant, uneducated right wing trash-talking infected their unstable minds with more hate than one person can handle!!!

Capitol Hill and ATS aren't dissimilar in what's been happening. Sensible and rational debate has been impossible recently because of the rampant and quite frankly disgusting invasion of wholly inappropriate and irrational extremist right-wing rhetoric that has no place in civil societies.

If you don't like what I'm saying, why don't you put me in your 'crosshairs'? That way, you can encourage (indirectly so you don't feel too guilty) some extremist right-wing nutcase to come and stop me!

Remember Giffords words - there are CONSEQUENCES to ACTIONS (the publishing / uttering of speech being one of them).

The Revenant.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
One problem with trying tar Palin and the right with this brush: his friends described him as far leftwing, hardly Palin's targeted audience.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well, now I just feel guilty about saying (in another thread) that nobody would mind if WBC all got accidentally wiped out.

It is a very good point, and one that I really should remember. Debates get heated, and people say stupid things - and like dominoes, we knock down the world.

Big oops.

Just to clarify - I don't think we should kill WBC; nobody should kill them. We should just hope that some act of god kills them, instead. That's far more poetic justice-ey. And less illegal.

(And come to think of it, even that's a bit harsh. But they picket children's funerals, and it makes me a tad cross!)

edit on 9/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
One problem with trying tar Palin and the right with this brush: his friends described him as far leftwing, hardly Palin's targeted audience.

That's not what most news sources are saying - most are saying (including the source above) that he was a right-wing extremist - prone to rants about various issues from a noticeable right-wing bias.

How do you explain this?

The Revenant.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Wow,

Your comment contradicts your entire position. Way to try to make a point only to contradict it.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11PB11
Wow,

Your comment contradicts your entire position. Way to try to make a point only to contradict it.

Do explain? I'm not sure any of us can really understand what point you're trying to make. Only that it is to all intents and purposes, just an ad hom.

Rev.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

biggovernment.com... 1/09/the-shooting-of-rep-giffords-and-the-left-wing-smear-machine/

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

biggovernment.com... 1/09/the-shooting-of-rep-giffords-and-the-left-wing-smear-machine/

And the source you show isn't at all biased because? With the utmost respect, it's a right-wing politik machine website. That website is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention 'right-wing hatemongering'.

If you can find non-biased sources that corroborate the angle, we can debate it sensible I think.

Rev.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Here is another source:

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 9-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: link aint working

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Agree: I find the left just as virulent if not more so and we should all back off a bit. Dumb/stupid"angry racist teabaggers" etc...
My thoughts this morning were Geez I hope that idiot in AZ wasnt' on ATS! Seems he was, after reading through his" fake space shuttle missions" thread I realized I had just bumped up against seriously "crazy"fer real.. I can be goofy and sometimes try to be directly out of left field but even on my most creative days I have nothing on the "truely crazy".

I certainly don't want to be the one who encourages any "crazy" to do something violent...there's a few now I might question their illusions or thought processes.

edit on 9-1-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

That article did have more than a little bit of an agenda, though, out there for everyone to see. Not saying that he wasn't a leftist, but the author was clearly very anti-left.

And in places, clutching at straws: "Jared Loughner will be receiving a mini-bible before the tests" is hardly an anti-bible quote.

The schoolmate's comment (same as in second source) is interesting, though.

On the author's assessment of Giffords, isn't supporting abortion rights a left, rather than right, issue?

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I mean, you begin by talking about how "we" all need to stop this type of language etc...at least the right wing (as though these exact comments aren't made by the left). You make ad hom remarks and use language that could cause someone to become violent only to attempt to end as though this is one sided.

You can easily tell which side someone is on when they only think one party is guilty of something.

People are responsible for their actions not other peoples words. Your liberalism is obvious by your one sided argument. I could like several sites that have Obama and other dems saying just as "violence provocative" stuff as you claim was said. It's sad when people use others as their reason for insanity.... where's the personal responsibility?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Here is another source:

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 9-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: link aint working

Keep looking - that's an opinion from a person, not a source. Think of it as a post from someone on ATS. Honestly, you can't twist this to look like a left-wing issue when it's not. He was an unstable person, affected by right-wing hate mongering. There is simply no denying this.

Rev.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant

ATS - LEARN FROM THIS!

I'll learn from this all right. You can be sure of that.

The moment has come to step up the rhetoric a notch.

Maybe last year, when no one was ready for it this kind of
broad brush painting of this-wing or that-wing as out of control
would have worked, but we took ALL the air out of that balloon and
now it just looks like the naked political opportunisim that it really is.

Blaming and entire political view, millions of people, for the death of one
nine year old girl is what should stop. Self righteous pundits capitalizing
on this is sickening. The only mistake I see here is that the right isn't being
loud enough. They aren't screaming how the beliefs of the other side created this.

For any conservatives out there, it is my opinion that being quiet on this is the end of your movement.

David Grouchy

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Why? All you and the MSM have are opinions from people who never met the shooter in the first place.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I mean, you begin by talking about how "we" all need to stop this type of language etc...at least the right wing (as though these exact comments aren't made by the left). You make ad hom remarks and use language that could cause someone to become violent only to attempt to end as though this is one sided.

You can easily tell which side someone is on when they only think one party is guilty of something.

People are responsible for their actions not other peoples words. Your liberalism is obvious by your one sided argument. I could like several sites that have Obama and other dems saying just as "violence provocative" stuff as you claim was said. It's sad when people use others as their reason for insanity.... where's the personal responsibility?

You assume too much. ATS recently has been a hive of right-wing hate speech and fear mongering. Certainly, left wing people, liberals, (you might want to click on one of threads in my sig to understand what you're talking about) and other progressively minded people will respond to right-wing trolling and baiting. Often with no decorum. But does this mean that they are the source of the problem? NO.

The right-wing sponsoring and provocation of unstable individuals needs to stop - NOW.

The Revenant.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I agree with your assessment of the OP. Very similar to the Olbermann post. Nothing wrong with what he said, but obvious blinders on.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
‎"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun." – Barack Obama

"...argue with them and get in their face“ - Barack Obama

It's quite pathetic of the U.S. media to exploit this tragedy to further an agenda against their perceived enemies (conservatives and the right wing). Given the quotes above it's irresponsible to levy a charge solely against right wing rhetoric.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Why? All you and the MSM have are opinions from people who never met the shooter in the first place.

If you read some of what Loughner posted online - it's clearly right-wing in bias. Unfortunately alot of right-wing bloggers and amateur journo's don't have a clue about how to identify political direction, or the correct words to describe it.

The Rev.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join