It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold Cooked Mushrooms... is this the Work of the Devil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Now I love mushrooms (strictly of the non-magic sort) in so many ways - I like them raw and whole, I like them sliced in salads, I like them roast, i like them stuffed, I like them fried, I like them stewed, I like them baked in lasagna and those little filo pastry niblet things, but I cannot stand them when they have been cooked and gone cold

WHY, when they are so wonderfully, brilliantly, mouth-watering-to-the-point-of-insanity delicious when piping hot, do they go cold so darned fast and get the texture of overcooked mollusc as soon as they are below about 40 degrees???

I can think of two reasons:

One, this could indicate that fungi do not spend precious resources producing conspicuous fruiting bodies only for them to be eaten, and there have therefore been no selective forces to maximise their palatibility (unlike tomatoes and similar berries)

Two, it is proof that the devil exists and not only has he made mushrooms have a very low specific heat capacity, but also creates tiny distractions to make people leave their delicious, freshly cooked mushrooms for a few seconds, only to come back and find them foul and inedible.

For those who are wondering, yes, my dinner tonight did contain mushrooms, and yes, I did get distracted (water pressure combined with a sympathetic(?) nervous response forced me to go on a short quest to the WC / the devil made me want to pee) and yes, they did go cold and inedible.

Grr.
edit on 9/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I"ve had cold cooked mushrooms its not the end of the world like you make it . Secondly the devil has other things to do then take away the pleasure of your mushrooms hehe . Thirdly everyone has a thing with food that bothers them mine is the white loose part that never gets cooked when you cook eggs. Im not talking about the yolk or white part , but that clear part that wiggels around never gets cooked and makes u wanna puke thinking about it . I hate that i can't stand that and thats what stops me from making eggs more often. Because sometimes u can't find that little wiggly white thing and you end up eating it anyway ahh

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Two, it is proof that the devil exists

Finally,proof

S+F for making me laugh so damn hard!
I love mushrooms too, both of the magic and non magic variety!

edit on 9/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It's the oil that the mushrooms soak up during the cooking process that tastes bad cold.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

As in the underdeveloped embro bit (white streak, sometimes with a pink attachment, last time I cooked an egg with a reasonably developed to the point of recogniseable eyes/limbs chick attached... put me off, I can tell you), or that bit of the egg-white quite near the yolk which somehow takes until the rest of the egg is charcoal to go solid?

reply to post by buster2010

You lie! Salted butter tastes good at any temperature! It's the devil! The devil is maliciously manipulating my mushrooms, fiendishly fiddling with my fungal feast!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
One, this could indicate that fungi do not spend precious resources producing conspicuous fruiting bodies only for them to be eaten, and there have therefore been no selective forces to maximise their palatibility (unlike tomatoes and similar berries)

Once the spores have been released, or is otherwise neutered, for example by heat exposure, the rest of the body has no purpose and immediately breaks down. As you say, because it expends all it's energy into getting the spores 'out there'. It's work is done.

A little lemon or lime juice sometimes helps prevent sliminess, or white wine, depends on the mushrooms, I find. And some should barely be even shown the heat.
edit on 9-1-2011 by KilgoreTrout because: plurality

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

S&F lol. Try microwaving with a damp paper towel over them to reheat them.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Dude. Just my opinion, but is it possible that you got a hold of the wrong mushrooms? Because as much as I have tried I have no clue what the heck you are talking about nor why you posted this.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Really?

I must try that next time. I often grate a little lemon rind onto mushrooms (and everything else I cook, for that matter) but never actually add the juice. And this time I did cook the hell out of those mushrooms.

definite star there...

reply to post by VeniVidi

Nah, not the wrong ones, you can tell by the stalks...

Why I posted? Because I was deeply offended when my mushrooms went cold, that's why. And when I say deeply, I mean it practically burned out my entire brain.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Really?

I must try that next time. I often grate a little lemon rind onto mushrooms (and everything else I cook, for that matter) but never actually add the juice. And this time I did cook the hell out of those mushrooms.

definite star there...

reply to post by VeniVidi

Nah, not the wrong ones, you can tell by the stalks...

Why I posted? Because I was deeply offended when my mushrooms went cold, that's why. And when I say deeply, I mean it practically burned out my entire brain.

CRikey!

Well at least you're not typing in obscure riddles so I think we can be sure no one's going to get shot today

I have had no sleep in like 3 days now, and everything I'm reading (including that schitzo numpty) has made my brain burn out so I know roughly what you mean, but I can't imagine cold mushies doing it for me

Then again, they get demolished in chilli when I have at them !!!

3 days or 4 now, I forget, it's all turned into very long seconds.. lol

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Two, it is proof that the devil exists and not only has he made mushrooms have a very low specific heat capacity, but also creates tiny distractions to make people leave their delicious, freshly cooked mushrooms for a few seconds, only to come back and find them foul and inedible.

so much for the non-magical mushrooms...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Cold cooked chips are pretty bad too

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Really?

Lemon juice, salt, spices, alcohol and vegetable oils are all preservatives. Lemon juice used in food preparation, particularly fruit, plant or fungi, suspends oxodisation and neutralises bacteria that aid entropy. Has a similar effect on us, high vitamin C intake is shown to improve Cancer recovery and Nigerian prostitutes use lemon juice douches to avoid pregnancy and STDs, a practice which has been linked to a very low instance of HIV.

Mushroom too though, some have amazing 'powers'.

There are Panaceas everywhere. What we were told about it having to taste bad to do good...ALL LIES!

Sooo...if your mushrooms are going slimy, you are not properly preserving them when you prepare them for eating...not to imply that you are a bad cook or anything like that...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
mushrooms ? mmm theyre really tasty but only the japanese #-take variety .
if combined with treasures of the spice garden you have a mentally , tasty soup .
the devil he hates mushrooms , see , he only eats at mc'd's and refrains from drinking anything other than pabst blue ribbon light .

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
After pondering this for 25 seconds, I have come to the conclusion that the second possibility is correct.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

you are correct , mushrooms sometimes walk around and eat brains , just the way zombified shrooms are supposed to
edit on 11-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join