It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More strange animal deaths this time it's Australian Bats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This little story seems to not have been noticed by the larger media outlets yet but it does seem to be yet another thing that confirms that something odd is going on with the environment. Over the last weeks there has been a large increase in the number of Bats being found either dead or orphaned in Australia

Australian Bat Clinic and Wildlife Trauma Centre director Trish Wimberley and her carers have helped save 130 orphaned bats on the Gold Coast in past weeks

Carers have visited several bat "camps" on the coast in recent weeks to find four-week-old babies on the ground covered in maggots and fly eggs

The article suggests that the deaths are to do with more then just the rain and something that struck me about it is that Bats are yet another species that uses magnetic fields to aid navigation!

Does anyone have any more info on this? Or an opinion as to how this might or might not fit into the bird / fish deaths.

Article link
edit on 9-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Yep have noticed a few bats doing suicide runs at my car early in the morning on my way to work (4am),did not think much of it tho,theres always creatures and critters out at that time,but will keep my eye on it.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I think bats use some sort of sonar /radar system and personally i would say its from bats coming in from other areas because of the torrential rain across most of the state and possibly competing for food.Just my opinion.
Just want to add that a strange grinding sound in the sky was noticed by myself and others a couple of days ago.
edit on 9-1-2011 by 12voltz because: of the grinding sound

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

There seems to be some debate about how bats navigate but recent studies have suggested that they use echo location for short range and magnetic for long range, it doesn't seem to be that well understood though

link

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Yes I read this today in the Sunday Mail. Very sad as these creatures are so adorable. It seems to be that their mum is not coming home and they are getting so hungry that the helpless babies are venturing down to the ground searching for food and instead are finding their doom.

I am now leaning more towards the pole shift that is occurring or new signals being introduced. In another post, someone mentioned that it could have something to do with 4g or digital radio and television signals. I know nothing at all about signals but just throwing it out there.
edit on 9/1/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I live down sth way way from the floods.One actually broke the aerial off my car!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iceblue20-12

The article itself also says that they think something more then just the bad weather is effecting them

They saved 350 young bats during the 2008 storm season but this year think there's more going on than just wild weather.

Australiana : Very cute avatar you have their by the way
edit on 9-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This is so sad.

The animals are going first.

Then us.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I saw a news report I think yesterday about the bats. Some of the baby bats were saved and they were wrapped in these colorful little bat blankets. They were sooo cute.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

If they are using echo's then its quite possible that the recent heavy rain would have an effect on their navigation by sending back false reflections, confusing them. Ive lived in the tropics, and I cant recall one time where Ive actually seen bats out in a thunderstorm or showers of rain.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I hate those darn bats; we need a major culling of them

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Im thinking of installing a bat house in the back yard this summer. They eat lots of mosquitoes. I hope this awful bird event doesnt effect the summer birds here. I cant imagine not having them, especially hummingbirds, which I plant a lot of flowers for.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

There will be a culling.

First them, then you - humans.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by bluemirage5

There will be a culling.

First them, then you - humans.

Well...

Australia at times officially culls; rabbits, kangaroos, dingos, seagulls, koalas, camels, wild pigs, brumbies
edit on 9-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thanks for posting Oz

The only articles I can find on this are essentially the same story that first says it's to do with the rain and then later says it isn't

With this and the Hendra virus things aren't looking good for bats at the minute

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm wildlife curator for Elapid Education and Awareness Group ,a private zoo on the Gold Coast where this is taking place .This is nothing unusual , this happen regularly .There is a virus in fruit bats/flying foxes that has been rampant for the last ten years .Quite nasty as it can be passed on to humans .In fact there has been human deaths from this .Handling these animals is high risk , it is mandatory to be vacinated before you can work with them .As for the abandoned young , this too is common .The torrential rain here at the moment is the most likely cause .I observe dozens of these bats every night in one particular tree in my front yard . Everything appears normal .They are a beautiful animals but their stench is unbelievable .Go to a colony after rain and the smell will make you lose your breakfast . While it is sad that this is happening , this is not related to the bird/fish die off .

top topics

join