It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assassin's politics lean 'left wing, quite liberal'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by muzzleflash

Bang-on. While the use of crosshairs was irresponsible and immature, we cannot blame Palin for what this guy did.

Let them keep on blaming Sarah Palin. It will all backfire on them in November 2012.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm wondering if the shooter will choose to testify at his trial.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by muzzleflash

Bang-on. While the use of crosshairs was irresponsible and immature, we cannot blame Palin for what this guy did.

Let them keep on blaming Sarah Palin. It will all backfire on them in November 2012.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm wondering if the shooter will choose to testify at his trial.

Why the hyperbole? No one is directly blaming Palin. They are just pointing out that using using gunsights, tartets and crosshairs in political material is wrong and stupid regardless of where it comes from.

Palin will regulated to the dustbin of history thanks to this dumbass move and she knows it; expect her apology soon.

Would you find it threatening if I painted crosshairs on a picture of you or of one of your loved ones? I would!!
edit on 10-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
maybe he had a split or multiple personality, and vacillated back and forth from left to right conspiracy theories? to me, he sounds so cryptic to be either severly mentally ill or up to some seriously bad stuff (in addition to what he ended up doing). i don't think calling him either right or left or tea party is appropriate, as he doesn't sound like he's in touch with any kind of reality, at any level.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Would you find it threatening if I painted crosshairs on a picture of you or of one of your loved ones? I would!!

You bring up a good point there, one that made me think for a few minutes.
My initial thoughts were "Hell yeah I'd find that threatening"!

But then I realized that in that comment, you solved the debate for me.
You see, there were no cross hairs printed across anybody's face, they were put on her district.

What was done here is no different than, say, a football or basketball coach putting an "x" through a position on the blackboard.

An "x" through that position would imply that that area needed to be controlled in order for victory.

Had that same coach put an actual picture of the individual who played that position, and then that individual was intentionally injured, an argument could be made that the coach encouraged his team to take out the individual.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Good point. The truth is always easy to spot.
Battle ground strategy has been in use for decades.
Senator John McCain discussed it a few months ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

She hadn't seen him in 3 years.

She also said "libertarian" on MSNBC...I am not sure she understands what she is talking about.

He was nuts..that is all we know thus far.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

If your idea of

trying to defend truth among these types for decades and have become quite adept at dispatching them quickly and with malice.

is to come into a thread, post a bunch of gibberish (what does Ozzy have to do with anything in this thread?:puz

OZZY was on trial (more than once) defending his song lyrics, and these betrayers are allowed to continue on unfettered

and then promise to never return to the thread

if I could ask a question (that I will not be back to check on)

is your idea of "defending truth",

then truth is doomed.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

He was nuts..that is all we know thus far.

And there it is, plain and simple,
Dude was nuts!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree

What was done here is no different than, say, a football or basketball coach putting an "x" through a position on the blackboard.

An "x" through that position would imply that that area needed to be controlled in order for victory.

Had that same coach put an actual picture of the individual who played that position, and then that individual was intentionally injured, an argument could be made that the coach encouraged his team to take out the individual.

Uhh..it wasn't an X it was a cross-hairs of a rifle scope.

Her distrcit? Her name and location was listed...and she was on Palins short "Target list"...those crosshairs weren't saying we need to take that particular geography in general ...Gabrielle Gifford WAS THE SPECIFIC TARGET OF THE CROSSHAIRS....not an X...you think they just got confused on the website graphics? The cross-hairs were a deliberate choice in keeping with her gun/violence/2nd amendment remedies rhetoric.

I have said it before...Palin is due shame, not blame....and the Palin Apologists seem to really be torturing semantics in her defense.

They keep saying things like..."But hey, when I use an X in Tic-Tac-Toe...it's the same thing!"

BS and political cowardice. She chose her rhetoric...she needs to own it.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I am not a Palin supporter, nor apologist.
I would not vote for her, and I believe she is the worst thing that has ever been attributed to the Tea Party, of which I am not affiliated with.

In truth, you make a good point regarding the cross hairs,
bad choice by the Palin camp, as well as the Daily Kos. Link Here

But that was not the point of this thread, as I said Here.

The point of the thread was to illustrate how quickly a tragedy will be spun into an "Us vs. Them" topic, and ATS' home page is even more proof of that.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Oaktree because: I have no idea what's up with that link!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

My sincere apologies for insinuating you were.

The DailyKos thing was right wing generated BS...I debunked it here post by maybereal11

The actual DailyKos article can be seen here...I had to find it on my own since whoever mocked up the image for this purpose also altered the link they claim as a source...it's a dead link..here is the actual Daily Kos article...

No Picture of her...No Bullseye grapic and no exploded large print...

They did use the word Bullseye though...which as a word in context does not sit in comparison to a graphic of a sniper scope over someone.

www.dailykos.com...

The point of the thread was to illustrate how quickly a tragedy will be spun into an "Us vs. Them" topic, and ATS' home page is even more proof of that.

If by "Us" vs "Them"

you mean people that think it is awesome that Sarah Palin uses violent gun metaphors to encourage people to "take back thier country" from people "hell bent on destroying our freedoms" etc etc.

VS.

People who think that words have consequences and inspire people and that someone with a megaphone of her size should not be speaking in Gun Metaphors with a site listing targets with a sniper scope graphic over politicians..

Then yes...it is us vs. them

If you are talking about GOP vs DEM or Right vs Left...yes it's old, tired and stupid.

I am not angry at the right...I am angry at Sarah Palin....and psst...the right should be too.

As a nation we deserve better than violence and demagoguery. In a time of crisis Palin opted to exploit peoples frustration and anger for her own celebrity rather than actually help.

WE deserve better than those kinds of people..by we I mean Right/Left..in the middle, TP et al.
edit on 10-1-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Well said.
And in an effort to not become the very thing I'm railing against,
I will leave it at that.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

From over at WND:

One user on Twitter, Caitie Parker, wrote she went to high school, college and was in a band with the gunman.
She said she hadn't seen him since 2007.
Parker wrote of Lougher, "As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal and oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy."
She also described him as "more left." Read more: Assassin's politics lean 'left wing, quite liberal'

WND

I figured I'd throw this out before this is all blamed on the Tea Party or something.

I don't have time to read the whole thread right now. Has anyone else here mentioned that the gunman wrote to "Mother Jones" (a magazine "rooted in Liberal, Progressive politics").

As I've said elsewhere, I'm NOT a Palin fan, but I find it alarming how quickly people blamed Palin & the Tea Party for this tragedy. Several threads came out almost immediately blaming Palin. Almost as if it had been coordinated. (Disinfo?) And this strange, extreme HATRED the Left has had for Palin since the 2008 campaign is hard to fathom.

I'm not a Creationist (I'm not Christian) and I can't understand why a middle-age woman would knowingly consent to bear a mongoloid baby (I'm Pro-Choice). But I do NOT hate Palin or wish her ill.

If the Left succeeds in destroying Palin's political career over this unrelated coincidence, it doesn't affect me personally. I would never have voted for her anyway (she's not qualified to be POTUS [but neither was Obama]) But I would feel sorry for Palin because she was treated unfairly and blamed for something not her fault.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeaWind

If the Left succeeds in destroying Palin's political career over this unrelated coincidence, it doesn't affect me personally. I would never have voted for her anyway (she's not qualified to be POTUS [but neither was Obama]) But I would feel sorry for Palin because she was treated unfairly and blamed for something not her fault.

SeaWind

The Left won't succeed in destroying Palin's career but she hasn't done herself any favors by using targets and crosshairs on her political opponents. And this type of rhetoric doesn't help her career much either.

"The crossfire is intense, so penetrate through enemy territory by bombing through the press, and use your strong weapons -- your Big Guns -- to drive to the hole. Shoot with accuracy; aim high and remember it takes blood, sweat and tears to win," Palin wrote. In the headline of her update, she mockingly predicted that the message would be "subject to new politically correct language police censorship."

It will appeal to her devotees but any moderate; the largest catagory of voters, see's this as threatening and violent. I do and I'm an NRA member, vet and registered Republican.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

SeaWind

Ms. Palin doesn't need any help destroying her career, I'd say she's been doing a fine job all by her self.

IMO, Regardless of whether the assassin was influenced by Palin's violence-infused rhetoric or not, the tragic event serves to epitomize the real world ramifications of such vitriol. I suspect there will be a severe backlash by the American public in general and perhaps even some Palin supporters now that they've witnessed the carnage and realized that the implications of bumper sticker slogans can be lethal.

Words do matter! But to feel sorry for her? Never. Karma is a boomerang.

edit on 10-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: fix typos

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

SeaWind

The Left won't succeed in destroying Palin's career but she hasn't done herself any favors by using targets and crosshairs on her political opponents. And this type of rhetoric doesn't help her career much either.

"The crossfire is intense, so penetrate through enemy territory by bombing through the press, and use your strong weapons -- your Big Guns -- to drive to the hole. Shoot with accuracy; aim high and remember it takes blood, sweat and tears to win," Palin wrote. In the headline of her update, she mockingly predicted that the message would be "subject to new politically correct language police censorship."

It will appeal to her devotees but any moderate; the largest catagory of voters, see's this as threatening and violent. I do and I'm an NRA member, vet and registered Republican.

Whaaa, I get what you're saying: those are strong "macho" words in that quote. BUT the use of martial or war-like metaphors is not unusual in politics.

These senseless murders were committed by someone who is (probably) a paranoid schizophrenic. No political motive is clear. Ironically, if this madman had any political interests at all, it seems he leaned LEFT -- so to imply that his violence was "triggered" by anything said or done by the Right is ABSURD.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by Oaktree
[m

That won’t help because it’s the rhetoric that causes a bad enviroment and all the bad rhetoric is from the tea party types and the right wing right now.

Sharon Angle: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Sharron Angle Floated '2nd Amendment Remedies' As 'Cure' For 'The Harry Reid Problems'

What do you think that means. Does a reasonable logical person say such a thing?

Does a reasonable, logical person take that and go shoot someone? Seriously, you and others blaming anyone other than the shooter are insane. And I mean literally, clinically "need to get help" insane. The person responsible for this was JARED LOUGHNER and nobody else! Can't you people get that into your tiny brains?

/TOA

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I DISAGREE. The ground swell in the recent surge by the likes of Teapartiers suggested things like "taking our country back" by whatever means requires no translation. "Refreshing the Tree of Liberty with Blood of Patriots" and phrases like "Second Amendment Remedies" makes it crystal clear what the mindset of the fife blowing, musket whiffing, Don't Tread on Me crowd is all about.

Make no mistake, it was a "Call to Arms" and your attempts to defuse / diminish that harsh sentiment falls short. It is clear by the numerous posters on this site like yourself who glorify the violence and are looking for any excuse to attempt to overthrow our government. YOU DO NOT represent me, my ancestry nor my birthright to enjoy the same freedom and pursuit of happiness your crowd wants to monopolize. Try civil war re-enacting if you long for days past. We are beyond that.

edit on 10-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I would not vote for her, and I believe she is the worst thing that has ever been attributed to the Tea Party, of which I am not affiliated with.

But that was not the point of this thread, as I said Here.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Oaktree because: I have no idea what's up with that link!

The KOS image was not redacted because it never existed. We've all been Punk'd. The bullseye graphic was a Photoshop job. This is provable by pulling up an archived page from 1998. Link: (refer to ** to get this to work)

ttp://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080701190530/ttp://ww.dailykos.com/story
/2008/6/25/1204/74882/511/541568

**You will have to copy and paste this address and add both extra 'H' characters on the "HTTP" as well as an extra 'w' on the 'www' as ATS script pre-formats the link and does not recognize the embedded address, sorry.**
edit on 1/10/2011 by clay2 baraka because: ATS script is stubborn

edit on 1/10/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Palin will regulated to the dustbin of history thanks to this dumbass move and she knows it; expect her apology soon.

I AGREE! She'll be retracting instead of reloading.

Her entire persona is entrenched in gun culture and this tragedy will be forever burned into the hearts and minds of the voting public.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join