It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need answers to my disease.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thank you so much bud, it really does lift you up knowing people have been through it and are living a blessed life now. Its amazing how one website....one post, can literally help you in so many ways imaginable. I will say a prayer for each of you guys and gals, y'all deserve the world.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Hi Justin,
First of all let me say that I think it's very brave of you to look at yourself so harshly and admit your problems and ask for help with them, that's the first step.

As for the alcohol, it's evil evil stuff and I really hope you can find the determination to quit for good. It's all about determination.

My girlfriends Mum was an alcoholic, and she used cannabis as a substitute. Now I'm not recommending that, but it took her cravings away and she was a lot less violent when on that rather than drinking.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GodForbid

Im sorry to hear about that bro I hope she's doing ok! I really appreciate your support, you don't understand how much of this community had made this issue so much easier for me.
I start AA in the morning so kind of nervous about it

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Startin to really get cravings....gettin my mind off of it by wrestlin with the dog lol

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MarineSniper12Kills

Keep on going Justin. We are proud of you, and deeply respect the fact that you sought others out for help. We are all on your side........just ask.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Go for nice long walks with your dog, read a really good book, watch a fascinating movie, do anything that you can to get your mind off your cravings. Keep telling yourself that you are stronger than the booze! I should take my own advice with ciggarettes. LOL How did your meeting go?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Thanks so much guys. Still remained sober. I went to AA this morning at an episcopal church that's where the meeting was being held. It was very nice, people puttin their arms around you and stuff. I was given an AA book so I am going to start reading that today and im going to another meeting tnite at 730 at a different place to see how that one is. Thanks again so much y'all.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hey guys I don't think anyone is keeping up with the thread anymore but if so....I went to my appointment with a psychiatrist wednesday. It was horrible. First off the guy wasn't even a psychiatrist but a psychologist. I know they are very similar but I was very interested in medicine and so forth. A psychologist cannot prescribe any anti depressants, and their was not a psychiatrist in the practice. On top of that when I opened up to him and told him everything he had no feeling or emotion in his words which made me feel like he wasn't meaningful in some of his statements. When I stated I had tried to shoot myself a little while back he just stated that yes I must be depressed......OBVIOUSLY. When I stated that I was drinking a fifth of crown and a six pack every night he stated" oh you really were trying to kill yourself". Maybe I am over reacting but I was shocked how it all went. I told him I wanted couples therapy for my wife and I since she has been in this with me since day one. His response to that was that I did not need to worry about that right now, that he" thinks" he knows someone who does it. Long story short I will not go back. I have an appointment with a certified psychiatrist monday afternoon who is a psychiatrist for alot of law enforcement officers around here, but also does couples therapy.
NEXT....the past two AA meetings had guys drinking in the parking lot so it was VERY non motivational. I haven't been back. On a good note I HAVE been sober throughout all of this, but still depressed as all hell.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Thank you for your U2U.

Do not go back to that psychologist. It's a waste of time. Professionalism doesn't mean you can't act human and that "professional" doesn't seem to be human, aka lack of compassion.

I have to agree with another poster that your real problem is of a spiritual matter. You don't have peace of mind and need to dull your feelings with alcohol.

I truly believe that you should write a book about your experiences in the service. What I read from your U2U would lead any man to heavy drinking. I don't blame you one second for it.

Try to write down your experiences. It might lead to the catharsis you deserve.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Thanks for talking to me bud. Hope you keep in touch, everyone else here seemed to fall out.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hod did your appointment go?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Hey bud, sorry for a late response been busy as all mess. Psychiatrist was amazing. She understood alot of what I was saying and going through. I am still trying to find a substance abuse therapist. I got the run around from her and from the psychologist I Previously saw.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Still remained completely sober so far....got into an arguement with the wife though over the past weekend that almost made me relapse. Saying that she was embarrassed and ashamed of the stuff I had done and that mess which I apologized for over and over again but still have to hear. I do stupid stuff when I turn to alcohol but she can't understand that when I was drunk...I wasn't me. Sometimes it just makes it harder because I don't get much support from her now, only from my father.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just wanted to say hang in there. Remember to fight the urge to find "excuses" to go back to alcohol, tabacco etc anything you are staying away from. I know that all too well. I'd get into an argument or something and use that to justify going back. Just Don't Do It.

The blamming and memories from someone that was hurt probably won't get any better any time soon. (wife bringing stuff up). Just hang in there and try to stay relaxed and as supportive/loving as possible. It makes you feel like you are throwing your pride/balls away sometimes, just remember that your end goal is to make her (and yourself) truly happy, and be able to move on to better things.

One of my old friends said the secret to mariage is: "She's always right". That's pretty much the truth
. Every guy screws up one way or another it's all in how you learn from it to not make the same mistake again and avoid or minimize any mistakes/lapse of judgements in the future.

It will slowly start getting easier when she can see that you are actually trying and you are changing for the good.

Just remember that each subsequent mistake compounds previous ones, so stay in check and become more thoughful before taking ANY type of action

Keep up the good work, and good luck.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc858

I really appreciate that buddy. Your right lol my dad always said the same thing as your friend.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

From what little I have read I would bet you are a bit more frakked up than I have ever been. Maybe, though, I can help. Probably not, but I'll say my piece.

I never bought into AA and their "higher power" crap. I also don't buy into the concept of "recovery". If I could quit cold turkey then I believe anyone can, as I never thought I could. I'll also suggest a option that isn't AA, called Rational Recovery. You should be able to pick up the book at the library and it made so much sense to me that I didn't need some meeting to get me through. I didn't need anyone's help or support. I did it myself.

I quit drinking, after a pretty heavy fifteen year stretch, in 2005 and have had no desire to drink at all, ever.

I just stopped because I wanted to. Sounds simple, almost too simple, but it's the truth. I had people dying around me due to alcohol and I knew I was following them down that path. So I just stopped.

You have been through much more than I have so my advice may be of no help. Ask yourself this, though: Has anything you have ever done while drinking helped you? Have you ever done anything while drunk you would be happy with? Has alcohol ever helped you with any of your problems?

If you answered those questions no, then why drink? If it does you no good, then why do it? As I'm not a believer in addiction, rather to me it is all choice, then why make that choice? Or just make the choice to NOT drink when you feel the urge? I know it's easier said than done but for me it was like a switch was flipped in my mind into the off position and it's never gone back on in almost six years.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Smoke weed and pray

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

If I could quit cold turkey then I believe anyone can, as I never thought I could.

I did, too, but I'm not convinced that anyone can. It might be that they can, and it's all to do with the motivation.

I quit drinking, after a pretty heavy fifteen year stretch, in 2005 and have had no desire to drink at all, ever.

I just stopped because I wanted to. Sounds simple, almost too simple, but it's the truth. I had people dying around me due to alcohol and I knew I was following them down that path. So I just stopped.

Like I said, I quit cold turkey too, in 1994, the day after New Years. Seems that your motivation may have been a fear of dying, but that wasn't so for me. I really didn't care if I lived or died at all. Made no difference to me. Still isn't anything I'm scared of.

My motivator was when my wife at the time told me it was time to start a family. I sort of wondered if she might not have been way over on the crazy side herself. I certainly wasn't anyone that I'd try to start a family with. It sort of straightened me out, though. I mostly didn't want my kids to grow up with a drunk for a dad. THAT'S what lit a fire under me. Every one's motivator is going to be different - they just have to find it. If they can find that thing, then you're probably right - everyone has the strength to do it.

Or just make the choice to NOT drink when you feel the urge? I know it's easier said than done but for me it was like a switch was flipped in my mind into the off position and it's never gone back on in almost six years.

That's how it was for me, too. The urge left when it got replaced with a stronger, and contrary urge.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I can't argue your points but I will clarify one. It wasn't so much a fear of dying, as I can't stop that, it was a fear of dying stupid. One guy I knew drunkenly fell into traffic.

I would not be happy to be someone who ended up a recipient of the Darwin Awards.

Anyway.

Another good read on this and other topics was Big Fat Liars by Morris E. Chafetz, M.D. - I believe I got that right but just look it up as I'm too tired. His take on addiction is fantastic, IMO.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

Lol I appreciate it buddy. Weed isn't my thing though,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join