It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US wants Twitter details of Wikileaks activists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

Ahh. Thanks for the explanation.

...I would say censorship, and silencing dissent. But the stated issue at the time (I think) was to get a photo or something that identified a US spy.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by soficrow

In comparison, here's another screenshot - Jesse Kelly, placed an ad that read:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f011cb6fa7fc.png[/atsimg]

Got that?

Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office

Shoot a fully automatic M16

Palin's actions incited murder. That's conspiracy.

Assange, Wikileaks and their supporters did NOTHING that even approaches Palin's conduct.

While I'm inclined to agree with you (Palin's conduct has been reprehensible and irresponsible) she does have the freedom of speech to express her opinions as she wants, same as most of those others over at Fox News who have been saying things that border on a call to murder elected officials. If they want to draw bullseyes on some people and say things like "exercise your 2nd amendment right on this person right here" - and that person then turns up shot dead - it seems to me they share a responsibility for that person's death. If that gunman was inspired by Palin, or Michelle Bachman, or Beck, I'd think they'd be looking at some serious legal issues from the victims families. Then again, this is America, the elite don't face justice in this country.

Palin's and Kelly's directives are just that - directives.

The 1st Amendment protects Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press, but does NOT protect people against charges of conspiracy.

In comparison, Assange and Wikileaks simply shared information for educational purposes to inform the public.

...agree with you about Manning, btw. about

I'm still disgusted by the government's response to this whole Wikileaks debacle. Instead of addressing the issues raised by the leaked cables, they took a page from Stalin's playbook and are silencing the rabble.

Stalin, Hitler, all the despots and tyrants.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by brill

If the 2 people you named are voluntarily cooperating with the FEderal Investigation, a subpoena is not required, since those 2 people can just give them access to the info.

That's my point. Both Lamo and Poulsen have criminal pasts have re-integrated back into society. It would be in their best interests to co-operate and that is what Lamo did by exposing Manning. Poulsen on the other hand is not providing the full log transcripts via Lamo which leads one to believe that (a)there is far more than what was originally divulged (b) he is complying with the federal investigation on this investigation or (c)he's part of it.

This is good movie material

brill

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
According to Manning's confession to Lamo, he had leaked the material (the Apache attack video) to Wikileaks before with no help from or even acknowledgment from Assange. If I recall correctly, Assange then considered Manning (without knowing who he was in real life) a confirmed source (and not some kook uploading his own ramblings) for leaking real information. I think it's a serious legal debate whether this makes Assange guilty of espionage or not, as for Manning, he's definitely guilty of both treason and espionage. (Assange can't be charged with Treason, he's not American).

I look at this action by the US, going after Twitter for details of all those accounts, as a real threat to the privacy and security of anyone who has followed the accounts of Assange or other Wiki personnel. There's a serious digital-paper trail for the feds to follow and maybe it will lead them to other whistle-blowers, or maintainers of Wikileak mirrors, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
I look at this action by the US, going after Twitter for details of all those accounts, as a real threat to the privacy and security of anyone who has followed the accounts of Assange or other Wiki personnel. There's a serious digital-paper trail for the feds to follow and maybe it will lead them to other whistle-blowers, or maintainers of Wikileak mirrors, etc.

There is no probabe cause to demand everyones information down to an IP address. I do agree with this scenario, however, that is not the scenario we are talking about. What right does the government have to demand everyones Wikileaks information, unreleated to the case? Unless there is some inkling that this was a mass conspiracy, no judge could authorize that type of data dump to the government. What you say here is obviously within reason.
edit on 2011/1/9 by sbctinfantry because: typed probably instead of probable, happens.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

That's what makes this request by the government so disturbing. If they receive all the server records from Twitter regarding a specific account, then they'll will have also inadvertently received information from those following that account. This could easily be a big Easter-egg hunting expedition to find new leads, but then who knows...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Nope, that's not at all true. People divulge that they have TS clearances all the time on job sites.
No one EVER told me I could not divulge my clearance.
In fact, cab drivers often dropped us off at work at one of our remote locations, and there were TS PERSONNEL only signs on the doors of the buildings.

And now, if you want to call me a liar or unintelligent, that's your prerogative. :-)
I happen to realize that things can be very different from one branch to another, one unit to another, one section from another and at any time and place from another. I will assume that you really do think you know the truth as YOU have experienced it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This is not being taken lightly:

Iceland summons US envoy over demand for MP's Twitter details

The American ambassador to Iceland has been summoned to explain why US officials are trying to access the Twitter account of an Icelandic MP and former WikiLeaks collaborator. Birgitta Jónsdóttir, an MP for the Movement in Iceland, revealed last week that the US justice department had asked Twitter to hand over her information. The US authorities are trying to build a criminal case against the website after its huge leaks of classified US information. "[It is] very serious that a foreign state, the United States, demands such personal information of an Icelandic person, an elected official," the interior minister, Ogmundur Jonasson, told Icelandic broadcaster RUV. "This is even more serious when put [in] perspective and concerns freedom of speech and people's freedom in general," he added.

The Guardian Website
You heard right. Bow to the might of the geopolitical powerhouse that is Iceland!

I'm just glad this got out--the original demand was for Twitter not to disclose this to the people in question; they actually went to court so they could tip Birgitta off. We can safely assume the same demand was made of Google and Facebook but since we haven't heard anything about that, they probably just went along.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join