It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US wants Twitter details of Wikileaks activists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Xcathdra

China would just storm the building at take what they want

The US did that too.

Back in 2002-03, the FBI seized Indymedia's mainframe in England. And deleted a lot, including my stuff.

...That's why I ended up at ATS. Indymedia was off-line, then censored.

Funny how they think that sort of stuff only happens in places like China..
It's been happening in the US for years, just not talked about as much..

Like where's all of Tesla's papers???

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by brill

Agreed. I think many thought the same, myself included how could a simple private have access to such material.

I've read that none of the leaked material was highly classified and that seems correct by what I have seen so far..
It doesn't seem to show any secrets, more so mere comments made by individuals..
No secret plans or black ops stuff..

I heard it was ALL available on the US intranet with little security clearance..

Have I heard wrong?? Is there any Top Secret stuff to be seen.??

They have only scratched the surface as far as releases go so anything is possible. I think when the US state department goes on the offensive to warn other countries about what is forthcoming speaks volumes. For the most part it does seem petty, more of an embarrassment versus anything of substance. I guess we will have to wait and see but I also think back to what Manning said to Lamo and that the content could re shape our world. Hard to say.

brill

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

In which one could make the argument for an exception under inevitable discovery then. My goal really is not to piss of Assange / Manning supporters all the time. I dont agree with manning because of his actions, and I dont agree with Assange because of the manner in which he releases information and his goals behind those releases.

I feel at times we go to far into the conspiracy realm without a lot of evidence to support it, and yes I understand that is the concept behind a conspiracy, but I think at times we take it to far. A person does not have to be charged with a crime in order to be investigated.

A subpeoan is a device used to limit the focus of the investigation, and is used when the informtion being reqquest will show wrongdoing / evidence of a crime.

The other thing people dont take into account is the driving force behind law enforcement when working an investigation, in addition to finding a suspect, is to eliminate people as suspects. Manning shot himself in the foot by talking about what he did. Does this mean manning provided wikileaks with all of their info? No.

There is another intelligence analyst that was arrested in Florida for trying to sell classified information to under cover agents. There is no telling what info he was able to sell and to whom.

Last but not least, if an arrest warrant is issued for Assange, the Government has the burden to prove Assanges guilt. Even after spending a boat load of money, months of prep, and months of a trial, a judge can still tell the government you have no case if they cannot prove their case beyond a reason of a doubt.

Before anyone makes the argument the government will just fabric ate the info, keep in mind the government is required to turn over all evidence collected to the defense team so they can review and challenege it.

Peaople are so quick to dismiss Government action that they forget not everything is a conpisracy.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

No idea.. Check with his surviving relatives, check with the US patent office, and finally if anythin is classified file a FOIA request.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

They have only scratched the surface as far as releases go so anything is possible. I think when the US state department goes on the offensive to warn other countries about what is forthcoming speaks volumes. For the most part it does seem petty, more of an embarrassment versus anything of substance. I guess we will have to wait and see but I also think back to what Manning said to Lamo and that the content could re shape our world. Hard to say.

Yes, Hilary was on the phone for days trying to explain to many countries that what the US tells them to their face is entirely different to what they say and plan for behind their backs..

But it's hardly Top Secret to show that Governments lie..

If someone shows me some REAL Classified info that was released then I will take notice..

Till then this is merely a witch hunt to save face for our lying leaders...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

I think in the case of the State DEpartment documents its more along the lines of when the cables were not released, we were stabbing countries in the back.

Now that its released, they are going with the adage a true friend stabs you in the front. If these governments hear it from the US prior to the release, the damage will be contained. Any country that seems "offended" by the release should get an emmy for best drama, since all countries use the same setup. Their ambassadors do the exact same thing ours do.

Look at the fallout from the cable leak to date... We think Sarkozy is a little Napoleon yet they are still working with us on Iran and several other areas. We compared putin and medyev (sp) as batman and robin, and they are still screwing us over on the nuke treaty.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

No idea.. Check with his surviving relatives, check with the US patent office, and finally if anythin is classified file a FOIA request.

lol, many have already tried that..
Doesn't work..All classified and protected from FOIA..

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

reply to post by brill

Now that its released, they are going with the adage a true friend stabs you in the front. If these governments hear it from the US prior to the release, the damage will be contained. Any country that seems "offended" by the release should get an emmy for best drama, since all countries use the same setup. Their ambassadors do the exact same thing ours do.

Perhaps but if the impact was so minimal would it not make more sense for the US state dept to simply not even address it via dismissal since as you've out it all countries use the same setup. Quite frankly we don't know what is going to be released. Having your dirty laundry aired especially when items like admitting to spying on the head of the UN and WHO looks pretty bad on a nation promoting democracy and freedom.

Could it all be low level content, sure, but for the US govt to get its panties in a knot about it says something to me. Personally I'm enjoying it if for that value alone. Don't forget there is the BoA docs (allegedly) to come out and that could add some fuel to this spark and there is the insurance file which is anyone's guess.

brill
edit on 8-1-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This just in at wikileaks twitter.

WARNING all 637,000 @wikileaks followers are a target of US gov subpoena against Twitter, under section 2. B is.gd...

Bring it on little piggies

edit on 8/1/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Damn, 637,000 privacy breaches...

Do Private Citizens have ANY privacy left.????
Or is only the Government allowed to keep things private/secret ??

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I just got the twitter update, then I had to really question things...
Let me start off by saying this is like UFO's. You want to believe, and you have this gut feeling, but there's lack of evidence and from a logical point-of-view, looks to be rather insane. Is Wikileaks real, or are they just fear-mongering? "Disinformation agents"? What are they? Of course the Government, something with so much power couldn't be all that innocent, but who do you trust when the conspiracies you once believed in over time seem crazier and crazier, especially by the theorists? Wikileaks could be run from the Government itself. How would I know better? The line begins to blur, and now I'm really not sure who to trust. I know our Government is shady, but people distort truth too, and this could be like a church begging for money to use on devious things instead of for their religion, and in that vain you become confused and lose a little hope. I don't know what to believe anymore.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Antigen Shift

The original news did not originate from Wikileaks..
The fact that the US has asked for this info is NOT being debated so I don't see how you would think Wiki was involved.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Ignoring the cable release would cause problems. In this case we were able to not only notify Governments of the impending info, we were able to remove the shock factor involved as well as spin the release to minimize damage.

These cables dont show the entire story which allows the US to possibly provide additional info that Assange does not have to justifiy the assesments.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
In comparison, here's another screenshot - Jesse Kelly, placed an ad that read:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/507bf5d6b9f3.jpg[/atsimg]

Got that?

Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office

Shoot a fully automatic M16

Palin's actions incited murder. That's conspiracy.

Assange, Wikileaks and their supporters did NOTHING that even approaches Palin's conduct.

edit on 8/1/11 by soficrow because: correction

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

The US did that too.

Back in 2002-03, the FBI seized Indymedia's mainframe in England. And deleted a lot, including my stuff.

It was part of an international joint investigation and is covered under treaties.

Indymedia server seized in raid

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
This just in at wikileaks twitter.

WARNING all 637,000 @wikileaks followers are a target of US gov subpoena against Twitter, under section 2. B is.gd...

Bring it on little piggies

edit on 8/1/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

Good info thanks
That subpoena only names some of the key players, notably Assange & Manning in addition to Birgitta Jonsdottir, ioerror aka Jacob Applebaum and Rop Gonggrijp (dutch hacker involved with "Collateral Murder" video back in April 2010). So my question to anyone is why are Lamo & Poulsen's twitter activity not being subpoenaed ? They are an integral part to this whole story and yet nothing requested here (both are on twitter btw). This does not add up.

brill

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

The US did that too.

It was part of an international joint investigation and is covered under treaties.

Indymedia server seized in raid

But this key piece from that article states:

The legal justification for that raid included a gagging order that prevented details being revealed.

So speculation at best I suppose

brill

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

The legal justification for that raid included a gagging order that prevented details being revealed.

I KNOW my stuff was deleted (it was critical of the US government's Bills and actions).

Not speculation at all.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I think everybody in the US should be Arrested for Criminal Behaviour.
You have all broken the .05 Alcohol Limit used in Australia, therefore all Americans are guilty.

This is no different to what Hillary was trying to Propose

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

reply to post by brill

I KNOW my stuff was deleted (it was critical of the US government's Bills and actions).
Not speculation at all.

I meant that speculation comment for the reasons as to the raid, not their actions. I have no doubt content was deleted but what were the reasons other than being cloaked under this treaty arrangement.

brill

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join