It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving up The Ego to become a slave...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The Ego is your connection with the flow of life. The universe is one huge energy and we are moving along with it and when you go for what makes you happy, you are in tune with the movement of the universe. So don't be a slave. Don't give up your self worth. Don't be offended when someone says "That's the Ego talking", because YOU know YOUR self worth and that's something to be proud about.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahaha ....oh man this must be the funniest and most misinformed post I have probably ever read on ATS hands down I dont anything tops this.

Ego death is absolute freedom, it is Oneness with Infinity, it is access to infinite beingness and infinite intelligence.

Your reply is ego based. Its the ego's justification to not get rid of it. Your ego is a sense of false self, all the programming that this world has taught, most of which is all B.S. Happiness is relative for most people and depends on them having good health, no problems, money in the bank, a gf or bf, and so on.

Ego death is absolute freedom, seeing behind the curtain, it is the fursthest thing possible from being a slave.

Man you made me laugh with this post, I literally almost pee'd my pants and cried from tears of hillarious-ness.

Funniest thing I have seen written about the ego in my 12 + years of studying ego.
That was soooo funny.

By the way ..."spiritual ego" is also nothing close of what you think it to be.....

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

..but do you see?

Now you're actually yourself acting egoisticly. No need to give him such a hard time. Not everyone agrees on this topic, or possibly completely understands what this is all about. People many times feel that they're somehow robbed out of something that has any crucial meaning. That is not true.

______

Like I said, pushing the "ego" aside helps to deal with complicated, abstact issues which cannot be directly understood by the rational mind. "Ego" is the emotional state, reacting to everything on a personal level. That needs to be got rid of if we want to understand the nature of reality. It's a form of keeping an open mind, not giving up your personality. If we want to understand things like infinity, cutting-edge quantum physics, nothingness etc. we must push the false individual self aside.

This is a hard concept to understand, I admit that.
edit on 15/1/2011 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
reply to post by arpgme

The Ego is your connection with the flow of life. The universe is one huge energy and we are moving along with it and when you go for what makes you happy, you are in tune with the movement of the universe. So don't be a slave. Don't give up your self worth. Don't be offended when someone says "That's the Ego talking", because YOU know YOUR self worth and that's something to be proud about.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahaha ....oh man this must be the funniest and most misinformed post I have probably ever read on ATS hands down I dont anything tops this.

Ego death is absolute freedom, it is Oneness with Infinity, it is access to infinite beingness and infinite intelligence.

Your reply is ego based. Its the ego's justification to not get rid of it. Your ego is a sense of false self, all the programming that this world has taught, most of which is all B.S. Happiness is relative for most people and depends on them having good health, no problems, money in the bank, a gf or bf, and so on.

Ego death is absolute freedom, seeing behind the curtain, it is the fursthest thing possible from being a slave.

Man you made me laugh with this post, I literally almost pee'd my pants and cried from tears of hillarious-ness.

Funniest thing I have seen written about the ego in my 12 + years of studying ego.
That was soooo funny.

By the way ..."spiritual ego" is also nothing close of what you think it to be.....

Hey kids, don't make the same mistake that this enlightened mahatma made with this post. I went ahead and highlighted the parts that just scream egotism on the poster's part, and cause his reply to be wonderfully ironic.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych

..but do you see?

Now you're actually yourself acting egoisticly. No need to give him such a hard time. Not everyone agrees on this topic, or possibly completely understands what this is all about. People many times feel that they're somehow robbed out of something that has any crucial meaning. That is not true.

______

Like I said, pushing the "ego" aside helps to deal with complicated, abstact issues which cannot be directly understood by the rational mind. "Ego" is the emotional state, reacting to everything on a personal level. That needs to be got rid of if we want to understand the nature of reality. It's a form of keeping an open mind, not giving up your personality. If we want to understand things like infinity, cutting-edge quantum physics, nothingness etc. we must push the false individual self aside.

This is a hard concept to understand, I admit that.
edit on 15/1/2011 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

I think you ego-focused people need to get with each other and stabilize your terminology. Your description of this terrible curse is pretty different than other definitions being tossed about in this forum - even just within this one thread. Once you kids figure it out, then let the rest of us know what you've decided.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Appeal to majority argument is not an argument in favour of something's truth.

Everyone used to think the earth was flat, now they KNOW for a fact it is an oblate spheroid. That's true knowledge, and we have evidence to prove it.

In regards to an omnipotent entity being the cause to all existence, the burden of proof is on those who make the claim. The argument from ignorance (you can't prove it DOESN'T exist) is a argument that ceases in all intellectual integrity. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. You say fairies exist, i wan't evidence. You say there's a teapot on pluto, i want evidence. You say infinity is our reality and that no creator exists, i want evidence.

The same goes for religious nonsense and any person claiming to assert there is an omnipotent being that is evident tot them.

Thanks for the discussion/debate, didn't plan to be uncivil. That's my argument. I don't expect you to respond as you thought i was attacking your character (which was not the plan)

Laters.
edit on 15/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
giving up the ego means 'submitting your self to the god 100%' (no matter what religion you are..)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by czariss

No it doesn't, at all.

You gan give up your ego, without a belief in an omnipotent supernatural dictator that some men claim all human morality and dignity comes from even though you have 0 evidence for it's existence.

No man can make such claims, It's a belief, and an irrational belief. i prefer to remain agnostic, and therefore atheist.
edit on 15/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

The whole debate is nothing more than silly squabbling over who gets to be right. But. Appeal to Ignorance cuts both ways. To say that it doesn't exist is a claim and thusly requires backing up. Even if it's simply in answer to another claim. Being an answer to another claim does not make the counter-claim so how magically not a claim.

That being said, who appointed anyone the Arbitor of all Factuality? I thought we were all fallible subjective creatures.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

While you state that appeal to ignorance works both way, i admit that i cannot claim God does not exist, i just have concerns with people who claim that they DO know? HOW?

I humbly and honestly admit that i am agnostic and therefore Atheist. Provide me evidence of an omnipotent God, and then go further and prove God is that of the Christian fatih, and i will renounce my Atheism and become a Christian, but then, which "version" of Christianity do i choose.

To say Agnostic Atheism equates the same as Gnostic or AGnostic Theism is just irrational. I don't know, no other man or women can claim to without evidence, or they could just make things up, and they obviously have throughout history.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

While you state that appeal to ignorance works both way, i admit that i cannot claim God does not exist, i just have concerns with people who claim that they DO know? HOW?

I humbly and honestly admit that i am agnostic and therefore Atheist. Provide me evidence of an omnipotent God, and then go further and prove God is that of the Christian fatih, and i will renounce my Atheism and become a Christian, but then, which "version" of Christianity do i choose?

Cosmic teapot anology explains this argument from ignorance quite well.

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

To say Agnostic Atheism equates the same as Gnostic or AGnostic Theism is just irrational. I don't know, no other man or women can claim to without evidence, or they could just make things up, and they obviously have throughout history. Existence could be infinity, a creator may not be required, they don't know.
edit on 16/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Hey kids, don't make the same mistake that this enlightened mahatma made with this post. I went ahead and highlighted the parts that just scream egotism on the poster's part, and cause his reply to be wonderfully ironic.

Man oh man more misunderstanding of ego......
Did 'I' directly say anywhere the this 'I' is mahatma or enlightened ...? Nope. Sorry......

Was there humor to laugh at what the OP wrote? Yes ...having studied the ego for the last 10 years it is funny to see the reaction of ego not wanting to undo itself and coming up with self justifications and misconstrued perspectives.

The difference here ........ the mechanism for typing, personality, communication, and opinion is abruptly put on for the sake of these posts, and afterwards knowingly dropped to leave what is to be ..... knowing that I am not this body, these thoughts, or this I.......

....yet even one word replied is misconstrued as ego.

Face it the OP is funny based on what the majority is said about ego. I really did laugh for about 5 minutes ....not at the author of the post but at the misunderstanding itself. And then the onslaught of what was found true here in an relentless manner because so as to not waste precious time.

Its a style of teaching ...being relentless and direct. It doesnt mean it comes from ego.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Taking the stance of "atheist" is a declaration of claim.

I humbly and honestly admit that i am agnostic and therefore Atheist. Provide me evidence of an omnipotent God, and then go further and prove God is that of the Christian fatih, and i will renounce my Atheism and become a Christian, but then, which "version" of Christianity do i choose?

Why would I make a claim I myself don't believe? Please don't pidgeon hole me if you please.

I'm agnostic friend and by no means am I atheist. Perhaps from an absolutist's point of view but an absolutist's point of view is inevitably skewed in favor of their stance. To clarify, I make no claim one way or the other as I believe the question is much to large for us at present if ever. And even leaning toward either absolutist claim is silly at best if you want my honest opinion. An agnostic approach would be to not answer the question or say "I don't know." or "Maybe.". Yes there could be a lean one way or the other but agnostic doesn't directly mean atheist sorry to tell you.

Really, I view the whole debate as a childish, tiresome and very human game of "Naner naner. I'm right and your wrong! Because I am right.".

edit on 16-1-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Cosmic teapot anology explains this argument from ignorance quite well.

The difference is that we have a multitude of people that show how to get to the direct experience of God. And even those that are skeptical and take up the methods to get to the direct experience themselves later state that yes there is an Absolute God.

Whereas the whole teapot, whimsically structured conceptual theory, has no one saying that if you follow these steps you too can directly experience it for yourself and know it to be true and therefor right of the bat the cosmic teapot anology is dead.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

And yet, you felt the need to defend your post.

Fascinating.

I'll admit to being a dirty ego-infested carnal beast. I am human. I am corporeal. I am that which crawls across the earth and defiles the realm with my putrid notions. I offer no apologies and seek no redemption. I am what I was designed to be, and I perform my primary functions with enthusiasm.

When I finish typing, I scratch myself and smell my finger. Why not? Smell exists. My finger exists. Where I scratch exists. Why not scratch and sniff?

When I leave this corporeal realm, I'll have sucked all the juice from it that I can possibly reach. I'll know exactly what it's like to be a corporeal being, and won't need any more exposure to it as a form of physical expression. I'll know that in my own inimitable way, I took full advantage of the opportunity given to me.

You go ahead and pretend to be "spiritual". When you do become "spiritual" take a moment to compare what you believed to be "spiritual" and what "spiritual" actually is. Then try to forgive yourself.

edit on 1/16/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I'll admit to being a dirty ego-infested carnal beast. I am human. I am corporeal. I am that which crawls across the earth and defiles the realm with my putrid notions. I offer no apologies and seek no redemption. I am what I was designed to be, and I perform my primary functions with enthusiasm.

What a delightfully graphic description of the human condition!

If the ego serves you well, then there is hardly any need or incentive to question its role in your life.

However, for someone like myself who does have spiritual aspirations, the ego presents enormous obstacles in the path to greater awareness and equanimity.

The choice to take up arms against the ego arises, in my case, from ego fatigue, a deep seated weariness from the constant and ongoing high maintenace the ego requires. I'm over it, and I would be very relieved to be rid of it.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Agnostic Atheism is my position.

Agnosticism is about what you know.

Atheism/Theism is about what you believe.

I guess you could say i was an "Agnostic Atheist" is regards to there being a invisible jelly monster out of reach of our best telescopes, i can't prove it does not exist. On that grounds, no one can prove it does exist. It's just a guess theory. I would not believe that theory. It would be irrational to believe that theory.

You say omnipotent God, i say theres no evidence, someone else says Tooth fairy, i say no evidence. I don't believe in theories without the necessary conviction of evidence.

You seem unnecessarily rude towards me because i share my opinon and argue your points.

Religion is like saying "i know invisible unicorns exist, and i can go further, i know exactly what colour they are, and how they behave". How can you make this claim?

You say you're agnostic, therefore you could never prove whether it was a creator that caused our reality or that infinity is our reality, you're as naive as the rest of us and any credited Scientist. Carl Sagan was Agnostic and therefore GNOSTIC Atheist towards any man made religion.
edit on 16/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

And yet, you felt the need to defend your post. Fascinating.

There is no defense ...there is just a showing of an alternative perspective.

cool ....sounds like it is what it is ...or a self created or self justified perspective. As far as your above statement ...I found that many others have said that you only "think" that you are a dirty ego-infested, human, corporeal, etc etc etc....

and here's where the chasm is....... "Thoughts" are not reality and are not what is. And this alone is a topic and a chasm upon which mountains of books are written and Enlightenment is built upon. To know that "thoughts and we think" is not real but the realm of imagination ...brings one oh so much closer to the absolute truth.

When I leave this corporeal realm, I'll have sucked all the juice from it that I can possibly reach. I'll know exactly what it's like to be a corporeal being, and won't need any more exposure to it as a form of physical expression. I'll know that in my own inimitable way, I took full advantage of the opportunity given to me.

cool .....this is done to a certain extent by all people knowingly or unknowingly and so really I have nothing to say about this part except to ask the question ......How can you really know you took full advantage of the opportunities given you? In retrospect one can also find something that one missed.

You go ahead and pretend to be "spiritual". When you do become "spiritual" take a moment to compare what you believed to be "spiritual" and what "spiritual" actually is. Then try to forgive yourself.

Thats the thing ....there is no pretending here because pretending is realm of thought and imagination. What is here is direct experience of what is, breaking down and questioning of every moment, every thought, every action and in doing so ....many Spiritual things get revealed as direct known experiences.

What in the past I believed to be spiritual has been seen as the realm of belief/thought/imagination and so in the direct experiences of getting ever so closer to the Absolute Truth .... a realm beyond thought and belief is directly revealed.

To "forgive yourself" requires more investigation. What exactly is this "self" that you feel needs to forgive itself?" ....and thus we enter realms again oh so much closer to the absolute truth.....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

For someone who claims they hate the ego, you sure are in tune with yours, which is absolutely lovely. You are starting your opinion loud and proud and even laughing at my post, and while I may dislike it, I'm happy you are intouch with your self... that is... your ego.

As for the person who said "right, so I should be a slave to my ego instead
?"

This person has no understanding of the ego. The ego is just another word for the self. How can you be a slave to yourself when you are you. That doesn't make sense.

Poor Ego being slaughtered by today's religions and the sheep who follow religion without thinking...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You have to have an twisted ego in the first place to be arrogant enough to think "GOD" has a special plan for each human, that this being cares and actually does answer prayers and intevene in human affairs.

It's evident that we are a speck in the universe, our gallaxies is one of billions and billions. The Andromeda gallaxy is on a collision course with our own, 99.8% species have become extinct on earth, some design this is, and some plan he has for humans. Does this make the universe less beautiful? Not at all.

I say feel free to worship the Lord of the Apocolypse, whether it be in fear or in pride, but don't teach this nonsense to our children, our future generations, and stop claiming to know this Lord's desires, emotions and what he might do to humans in the "afterlife".

Wake up.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I am not endorsing the worshipping of any gods or anything. I'm encouraging lookjing out for the self/ego and being happy and that's it. So in a way I guess I agree with you.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join