It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The guide lines of Sin...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'd like to hear different perspectives of what qualifies you for "eternal damnation" ..from a religious point of view that is...

For anyone who is a regular in church or even just has absolute faith in what is printed in the bible.

Is this the standard you MUST adhere to?

1.You shall have no other gods before me.

2.You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

3.You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4.Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

5.Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6.You shall not murder.

7.You shall not commit adultery.

8.You shall not steal.

9.You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10.You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

Even the site i copied this from when on and and about how these commandments are broken every day etc etc...

So is the rule book?

If you break these rules does it mean you're damned to hell?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
'There are no sin... Only the human mind to that draws the boundaries.

Highly based on individual perception I must add...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I have to agree, Sinter Klaas, has the OP researched the origin of Hell, I wonder? And the origin of Sin? Bet he would be surprised if he did. To my research, Sin was a Babylonian Moon god, and Hel was a trash pile outside ancient Jerusalem that was always kept burning. OP must have been brainwashed by religion, huh?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I have to agree, Sinter Klaas, has the OP researched the origin of Hell, I wonder? And the origin of Sin? Bet he would be surprised if he did. To my research, Sin was a Babylonian Moon god, and Hel was a trash pile outside ancient Jerusalem that was always kept burning. OP must have been brainwashed by religion, huh?

I didn't say this is what i believe...

You might want to read the post again, it was a question to any one who actually attempts to follow "the commandments"

Personally i don't believe any of the concepts of sin...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
I'd like to hear different perspectives of what qualifies you for "eternal damnation" ..from a religious point of view that is...

For anyone who is a regular in church or even just has absolute faith in what is printed in the bible.

Is this the standard you MUST adhere to?

As an Orthodox Christian, it is my belief that we need to follow Christ's two commandments -- to love God and love everyone else as yourself -- because it encompasses the behaviour that God wants us to exhibit. Christ himself said that following those two were all that was needed to achieve everlasting life, so I'm going with what he says. The difficulty, of course, is in actually doing that, because it's not as easy as it sounds.

I heard a nice definition of sin the other day, because it takes the concept from the world of religion and makes it something that applies more broadly (while still making it applicable for the religious.) Sin is that which we do, in order to find lasting happiness, but which does not ultimately bring it. It brings the focus on self -- that which I do to make myself happy tends toward sin, that which I do for others leads away from it.

I'm not fond of the whole "eternal damnation" stuff, because I think that fear is a crummy motivator. So it's not a part of my spiritual journey and I don't give it much thought.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Well said...

top topics

join