It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Secure Is Your Computer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hello all. In these times, the Internet is not a safe place for anyone. For Windows users, there are always threats of a new virus, or a site that puts spyware or malware on your computer, and all of those endless Security Patches from Windows Update...Whew! And of course those expensive times when that anti-virus just did not work for you.

I think it quite prudent to check your Firewall and Security often. Here is where I go to check:
www.grc.com...
www.pcflank.com...

Here are my latest results on both test pages:
All Stealth, no open ports.

My OS? PC Linux KDE 2010.12, Shorewall Firewall, System set to Secure.
How's your security, friend?

One thing you Windows users can do is stop IE from keeping the cookies. Go to "Control Panel," Internet Options," "Advanced," and click "Do not save Encrypted pages to disk," and "Empty Temporary Internet Files on Exit."
Better yet, download and run Linux. It's FREE!
distrowatch.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well I hope I'm O.K.
I have ; C - Cleaner, Spy-Bot s&d ,Avast virus - spyware Protection
and the stock fire wall with MS.use Fire fox, I do not down load much,
Pictures, and such,and mostly just surf the net, been fine so far.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I use Mac OS X. Not much to worry about.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I use Advast Antivirus and Microsoft Threatfire on Windows XP. Goggle Chrome for browser. Always keep these up to date.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Umm, let me add a few tips for Windows users.

When you use windows, a cache of temporary files is kept in a folder called %temp% . You can go to Start - Run and type %temp% and then erase everything inside.

Your browsing history is kept by default, as OP said, just go into your browser's options to change that.

Now, if you want to both improve your privacy and your computer speed, you should check out the startup tab of MSCONFIG. Just go Start - Run - msconfig. You will see a list of all the useless cr a p that launches when Windows starts. You can just uncheck most of it, just keep the apps from your PC's brand, just in case.

You should do regular spyware checks through say spybot search and destroy, ccleaner and such apps.

If you notice that you take out stuff from your Startup and that it comes back, it's probably a trojan, or MSN Messenger, lol. In that case, you should read up on Regedit and the RUN or RUNONCE key.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I tryed your links to test my computer windows XP.
and got VERY SECURE.
I use AVG free virues prog and Zone alarm free fire wall prag.
And comodo virues & fire wall free prog.
yes I run them both at the same time.
I use AD-Aware free to.
but if this starts a scan it uses a lot of PC speed.
so its best to set it so it can not do its own scans.

I am useing Linux Ubunta 10.10 as well.
they have come a long way.
it is very good now. almost as good as windows.
you can run windows programs on linux now.

with the comodo fire wall if you disable ALL the pre'set fire walls.
you will see that windows adds some thing to EVERY thing you add and do!
never never trust windows. even if you have the best fire walls.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Shot a preshooler with game boy could hack into mine but i dont keep anything on it or bank on it so it would be pointless if it gets a viruse ill just shot it and get a new one
edit on 9-1-2011 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Hello all. In these times, the Internet is not a safe place for anyone. For Windows users, there are always threats of a new virus, or a site that puts spyware or malware on your computer, and all of those endless Security Patches from Windows Update...Whew! And of course those expensive times when that anti-virus just did not work for you.
I have Internet access since 1996 and I never got a virus. I don't care much about Windows Update either.

I think it quite prudent to check your Firewall and Security often. Here is where I go to check:
www.grc.com...
www.pcflank.com...
Those are the ones I use when I want to see if everything is OK with any Internet connection.

The reports in my case show an open port, but that's because I have a web server running, for the last 7 years, with no problems.

You just need to know what you're doing.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
50 - 1 my box is allot more secure than either of those security sites you posted the top one is running a vuln version of apache for starts

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

My network is protected by a nat router with a hardware spi firewall. Ipsec policy is enforced on all intralan communications. Access through the router is restricted by mac trusts. Each pc (Win7 x64 Ult.) is individually protected by a software firewall, Kaspersky AV and srp (software restriction policy) in whitelist mode. All my data is encrypted. It has to be. I am a psychologist and I keep patient records here. I don't know, seems like a fortress to me. Never any malware, never any crashes, never any headaches.

Oh I'm using IPv6 here too.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You guys have no clue whats really going on... The real threat isnt out there on the net, its already on your pc... Windows 7... Remember those proven true stories about
the win 7 team colluding with the nsa..? yep..sure did..google it...

win 7 logs every single keystroke, every website, every download, every document,
every password, it logs every single thing you do...And stores it in shadow copy..
you can turn shadow copy off... But it doesnt really go off...It just doesnt respond
to you...It still copys...

now i will show you how to clean about 90% of it off your pc...And it doesnt hurt anything.. i promise...

download and run a little app called hardrive powerwash....

your going to be shocked... Then really surprised...And then really pissed at microsoft... You are being spyed on like you could never belive...�

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

edit on 3/29/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

top topics

join