It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Orange Alligator Spotted in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Source

VENICE, Florida (KTLA) -- An orange alligator photographed in South Florida is raising questions about its strange pigment.

74-year-old Sylvia Mythen spotted the gator sunning beside a neighborhood canal in Venice near her home earlier this week and she was so shocked, she took a picture.

Mythen contacted her local news stations and a biologist but says she really took the picture because she wanted to show her grandkids in Indiana.

So they think it was done by paint or another chemical and not genetic hey? It would be cooler if it was genetic, and how the hell do they know for sure without testing the animal?

I had to share this because, well, this is awesome. Who doesn't want to see a orange crocodile?

Any thoughts?

Pred...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 8/1/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

could be mud, at least if i saw that picture without being foretold anything about it, i would assume nothing was out of the ordinary and that the aligator just had some dried clay/mud on it, just an observation

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I agree... looks like MUD

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If it was mud wouldn't we see a few clumps? Could be a cross between an Albino gator and a regular gator - white and green making orange

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
If it was mud wouldn't we see a few clumps?

Not necessarily. Mud can be in many consistencies.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It is genetic.It is called hypomelanism .I am a herpetologist and wildlife curator for Elapid Education and Awareness Group .I keep a few examples of hypomelanistic animals here .Hypomelanism is a mutation just like an albino . While uncommon in the wild ,it is made a common trait in captive animals through line breeding .
edit on 8-1-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: typo

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It could also be a prank .
The use of selective colouring in Photoshop would make it simple to achieve this effect.
edit on 8-1-2011 by gandalphthegrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

ah i see,

There are two different forms of albinism; a partial lack of the melanin is known as hypomelanism, or hypomelanosis and the total absence of melanin is known as amelanism or amelanosis.

web... cache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6pRGYaila70J:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism+hypomelanism&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

still though, i've seen a few gators in my day, and they do live in murky water, muddy water and clay sediment areas, so a sight like this doesn't even seem out of place to me, it just looks like mud to me!

however, if it is hypomelanosis, in a way this could be a genetic trait ( i guess if passed on ) that could lead to offstpring that can 'blend in' with orange clay and mud really well, maybe along the 'natural selection' line of thought

interesting
edit on 1/8/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I don't think its genetic. Take a look at his tail, there are spots where the orange substance has washed off.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
What a neat picture! I never heard of a hypomelanosis gator i just learned something new today..Thanks for posting this pic very interisting..

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
To me it looks like an albino aligator that is covered in some sort of oarnge dust and not really an oarnge in pigment itself. Is it just dirt with high iron content making it look oarnge or is it something else?
cheesy puff alligator anyone?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
It is genetic.It is called hypomelanism .I am a herpetologist and wildlife curator for Elapid Education and Awareness Group .I keep a few examples of hypomelanistic animals here .Hypomelanism is a mutation just like an albino . While uncommon in the wild ,it is made a common trait in captive animals through line breeding .
edit on 8-1-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: typo

Thanks for that explanation.

Does your work have albino and Orange ones? Any other possible colors?

Pred...

new topics

top topics

join