It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magnetic North Pole can move up to 80kms A DAY

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
reply to post by Chadwickus

It is hard to debunk the real research you have done.

This is for sure one to watch to see where they go with trying to debunk your research. I do find it interesting how some act like this is something that just happened out of the blue when this has been happening all through our history. Be it that it has been a little more active then it has in history the point is that it has been going on for as long as we have been recording history.

Thanks for the thread S&F for you.

Can't wait to see what other members that have another thread about this have to say.

No one is screaming doom in this thread or any other that I've noticed, but to call a 400% increase "a little more active" is a slight understatement..
Though from the little we know, the movement is just as likely to reverse and go back to where it started..
It's just something that's worth watching..

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by AllSeeingI

I think a daily jerk is more of a concern than the current speed and direction of the pole, everyone is jumping up and down about 40km a year, one big solar storm will and has doubled that figure in a day, with no detrimental effects. (that we know of)

I think your definitely right.

I was talking to a professional pilot who also has many other professions...they have been remarking the runways at various airports for a long time. He said the very same thing. So your in good company Chad.

This is a great thread and I starred and flagged.

And Zorgon thank you for your addition. I will be following this thread, I hope it grows.
edit on 9-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

The magnetic north pole moves around all the time, up to and over 80 kilometres in a day, now that is a lot, especially compared to the 40 kilometres a year it is reported to be travelling.

So in a couple of months time, the magnetic North Pole could be in the UK?

What a load of BS!

When I did my Pilot's License, we learnt how to calculate where true North Pole and Magnetic was for Air Navigation and it was never off in the 5 years I was flying!
edit on 12/1/11 by masqua because: Trimmed Big Quote

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I guess no one wants to discuss things when there's no fear mongering involved.

HEY how about a really cool TWIST?

Seems the that Earth is about 4.55 billion years old according to most estimates...

But the magnetic field is only about 3.5 billion years old. How about that for a kicker eh?

The currents in the core of the Earth that create its magnetic field started up at least 3,450 billion years ago

en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder who it was that threw the switch to get it started?

Geodynamo, solar wind, and magnetopause 3.4 to 3.45 billion years ago.

Abstract Stellar wind standoff by a planetary magnetic field prevents atmospheric erosion and water loss. Although the early Earth retained its water and atmosphere, and thus evolved as a habitable planet, little is known about Earth's magnetic field strength during that time. We report paleointensity results from single silicate crystals bearing magnetic inclusions that record a geodynamo 3.4 to 3.45 billion years ago. The measured field strength is approximately 50 to 70% that of the present-day field. When combined with a greater Paleoarchean solar wind pressure, the paleofield strength data suggest steady-state magnetopause standoff distances of < or = 5 Earth radii, similar to values observed during recent coronal mass ejection events. The data also suggest lower-latitude aurora and increases in polar cap area, as well as heating, expansion, and volatile loss from the exosphere that would have affected long-term atmospheric composition.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Need to get that paper
Seems to include effects of the magnetic field... or lack there off
edit on 9-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well that is an interesting twist...

I don't know how a magnetosphere is created, maybe it takes a billion years for it to form?

I guess we're lucky it held up otherwise we'd be like Mars.

edit on 9/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Seems the that Earth is about 4.55 billion years old according to most estimates...

But the magnetic field is only about 3.5 billion years old. How about that for a kicker eh?

Now I'm no scientist but maybe it took a billions years or so for enough heavy metals to get pulled down to earths centre and then concentrate into a solid core..
Then rotation would start the dynamo effect

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Maybe... but I like my theory better. Besides has it been proven yet that the core IS solid? Thought that was still a theory?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

In what way? Are you saying that the lack of a magnetic field makes a big difference? If so then it would be logical that fluctuations and changes also would make a difference...

So back to Chicken Little's theory

Wonder if we have decent field strength readings that go way back
edit on 10-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Maybe... but I like my theory better. Besides has it been proven yet that the core IS solid? Thought that was still a theory?

Mine was just a theory too..

So apart from "someone hit the switch" what's your theory of what creates the magnetic field.?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Now don't go putting words in my mouth Mr Zorgon...

A depleted, hell a nigh on non existent magnetosphere is a completely different kettle of fish compared to a dynamic magnetosphere like earth's and that is the keyword here..dynamic.

edit on 10/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

A depleted, hell a nigh on non existent magnetosphere is a completely different kettle of fish compared to a dynamic magnetosphere like earth's and that is the keyword here..dynamic.

Isn't it fair to say that their use of the word "dynamic" is just another way of saying "we don't know" ??

I'd feel more secure if they just admitted their lack of knowledge rather than using missleading phrases like that..

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Thank you for this post.

There has been far too much panic on this site both in recent times and throughout my time here on ATS about magnetic pole shifts. This process is gradual and natural and there's no reason to think the entire Earth is going to somehow be destroyed by it. It's amazing how information that denies ignorance is so under-appreciated here. This post has half the flags and stars that it deserves yet we see absurd stuff like this make it to the front page and get ridiculous amounts of flags:

Its official the earth is cracking up.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

This process is gradual and natural

I'm not in the doom and gloom fanclub but can you prove what you state given the 400% increase in pole movement recently.??

I'm all for facts but are there any.??

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Can I prove what I state? I'm not sure what you mean. My official stance is that there is no reason to panic and that fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field can and will happen and are natural. Now it is possible there has been a more rapid movement, as stated in the OP by 2050 magnetic North will supposedly be in Siberia but there's no evidence that this is going to cause catastrophe or be the end of the world. In other words while we should all be interested in the magnetic field and the pole shifting I don't think there's any cause for alarm. I'm not saying there will be no ill effects at all if the poles begin to shift even more rapidly but it isn't something I'd lose any sleep over.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
People. please, you have to look at this in perspective: 10, 20, 50, 100 years are absolutely inconsequential on the scale we're talking about here. It's like taking a one-second burp and extrapolating that to predict it lasting a year.

These are just tiny fluctuations within a much, much larger pattern (although, there's no pattern). Keep in mind that the last geomagnetic reversal was 780.000 years ago and there can be as much as tens of millions of years between then. A millennium is pretty small in comparison and not close to being valid as such, see.

Also, the magnetic north pole (the geographic South Pole) is further "deviated", it hasn't caused any trouble and no-one seems to be worrying too much about it. In fact, the magnetic poles are rarely, if ever, at the exact geographic poles and there's no reason to think they ever need to be.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Crude oil in the Earth's crust has sustained a steady temperature between the outer crust and the Earth's inner core. Creating a smooth bearing of sorts. Deep down in the Earth that crude oil is several hundred degrees.

Now the crude oil is gone. Man sucked it all out in 100 years. The bearing effect is gone.

The Earth's core will grab the outer crust and exert more pressure on them to move as well as decrease the magnetic field.

Extermination event. No more magnetic field. No more life on Earth. We will end up looking exactly as Mars looks.

No intelligent life form would have pumped the bearing fluid keeping the magnetic field around their planet. We are NOT an intelligent life form.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Now don't go putting words in my mouth Mr Zorgon...

I wasn't I was trying to figure out YOUR reference to the lack of a magnetic field on Mars

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedStevensLives
These are just tiny fluctuations within a much, much larger pattern (although, there's no pattern).

They are part of a pattern that is non existent?
That makes a whole lot of sense... Yup will put ya down as an 'expert'

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah, "pattern" isn't the word I'm going for there, I'll fix that as soon as I figure out a phrasing more apt. To be fair, though, this is my third language. What's your excuse?

Edit: It's not a pattern, as patterns are predictable... does "irregular pattern" make any sense in English? Anyway, what I mean to say is that you are looking at a tiny fraction of the actual picture. These aren't fractals; the is no similarity between the smaller parts of the picture and the picture as a whole. Randomness can be a bee-atch but it's a fact of life.
edit on 12-1-2011 by TedStevensLives because: Clarification?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedStevensLives
Yeah, "pattern" isn't the word I'm going for there, I'll fix that as soon as I figure out a phrasing more apt. To be fair, though, this is my third language. What's your excuse?

Ach ja... Deutsche ist meine erste Sprache ; Le français est ma langue seconde, so that would make American my 4th (after Canadian English
)

Edit: It's not a pattern, as patterns are predictable... does "irregular pattern" make any sense in English?

Random events works
In other words... no one knows for certain when, how and what the effects are

edit on 12-1-2011 by zorgon because: CLASSIFIED

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join