It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New alcoholism vaccine is made

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

New alcoholism vaccine is made

presstv.com

Chilean scientists have developed a new vaccine against alcoholism that gives the sensation of a terrible hangover after just a few drinks.

The new alcoholism vaccine, which works like patches used for kicking smoking, is believed to be more efficient as it specifically targets liver cells.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is interesting. If this vaccine can help alcoholics, then I'm all for it but I'm interested in the side effects of it.

I have never been able to even drink one drink without developing a headache. In years past, this meant that I would continue to drink because I knew if I stopped at one or two, I would have a terrible headache. Yeah I know, stupid thinking. Anyway, since I have quit drinking altogether for several years now, every once in a while, I'll try to have a drink and won't be able to get through even one without the onset of a severe headache. I have determined that I am allergic to alcohol of all varieties (beer, wine, liquor, spritzers, etc.).

It works by neutralizing aldehyde dehydrogenase, a group of enzymes that metabolizes alcohol and are therefore responsible for alcohol tolerance, said the lead Chilean researcher Juan Asenjo.

I wonder if I'm naturally aldehyde dehydrogenase deficient? If so, I wonder if this is something to worry about as it may have other "side-effects"? Certainly, if people are born with aldehyde dehydrogenase, then don't they need it?

Thoughts?

presstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I really don't think that it's going to stop many countries populations of alcohol abusers... here, people don't drink for the pleasant taste, or for the slight relaxation in company - they seem, instead, to do it to get (censored) drunk, which leaves a large proportion of them with crippling hangovers, with or without an anti-alcohol patch.

But it's nice that they're making the effort to combat alcohol abuse, anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'm the same as you with alcohol.

My family is Italian, so there's always wine around, whether it be bought or homemade, and one glass or slightly more will give me the worst headache! Beer isn't as bad. I could have maybe two beers and be okay, but I don't really like beer, I like wine. Hard alcohol is a no no, major headache and icky feeling immediately after even one shot. And this seems to get worse with age, rather than better. Though I'm only 22, I drank more before I turned 21.

So there might be something to this here, yes. I pretty much just don't drink at all now, even one glass or beer. Who wants a headache? Not I. Not worth it.

As for this vaccine, there are unfortunately many people in my family I wish I could administer it to. Enough said.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I am all for a preventative treatment for those who have a problem with drink which makes them a danger to other people, or themselves through drunkeness. However, if there is any chance, ANY chance at all that this would end up, in any nation , being used to FORCE people who just like a beer to stop drinking, then there will be trouble.
I believe its every mans right to destroy himself, as long as its only themselves they are destroying, I dont have a problem. Its thier choice, and no one, no government and no scientist has any right to change that.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I've got a vaccine for you, it's green, sticky, and grows in the ground. You get an urge or craving to take a drink? Replace that with some cannabis, and you'll be golden. (As long as you don't go completely cold turkey after being a full blown alcoholic, because you could die from the physical withdrawal symptoms)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Antabuse

There is already a pill available that does something similar. From what I've heard, if you take this pill and there is ANY alcohol in your food or drink, you're in for a rough go of it. Of course an individual has to take this of their own free will which is the limiting step towards treatment.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Its better to take away the desire rather than penalizing the act, a proactive rather than a reactive approach.

Baclofen, a low grade muscle relaxant does just that, 10 mg a day 3 times a day. Google it. I have a relative that it has changed their life.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There is actually a wild edible mushroom that is used in alcoholism which I believe is what the pill is made from that is used in alcoholics.
It's called the inky cap mushroom (Coprinopsis atramentaria). When ate w/o consuming alcohol it is actually really delicious and can be made into a sauce because of it's inky like gills. However when combined with alcohol it creates nausea and a bad hangover.
It's a traditional mushroom that has been used for a very long time to treat alcoholism

I wonder if that is what this vaccine is based on?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

I should mess with drinkers all across the world, and sneak into like 20 different alcohol brewing plants at night, and dump a considerable amount of that sauce into the vats. I'm sure that'll make people think twice about killing their livers haha. Or maybe they won't think anything of it and just drink some more, because "EHWEHH DOOOWD, DRYYNKING MOOR WIL GIT RID OF UR HANGOVVURS". I don't know why, but I absolutely hate when people say that, it's like saying raping somebody will help to ease your conscience after you just raped someone

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I believe that there is too much of a psychological and mental component of alcoholism that makes all of these types of drugs extremely dangerous. There is Antabuse, Campral, Vivitrol, and and others. Campral and Vivitrol don't have observable side effects when you drink, other than Vivitrol making you tired quickly. Antabuse is highly dangerous, and many people have died from drinking when on Antabuse, or usually before it runs out of their system...about 5-7 days from prescribed levels. Even a topical oinment with alcohol causes a terrible reaction if you are on Antabuse. And, that's what this drug sounds like. My psych won't prescribe it (Antabuse) because too many of his patients died.

Alcoholism has no magic bullet. And, treatment similar to that featured in "A Clockwork Orange" is not the right path to follow.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

I've been thinking, and may have came up with a radical new technique to treat alcoholism. Every time somebody takes a drink, hit them in mouth. What do you think? Classical conditioning is a time tested method to get a person to associate something positive with something negative, so they will avoid it. Or better yet, every time they go to the fridge to grab a beer, break a beer bottle over their head. Give it a week, and they'll be sober as a bird!

I haven't seen "A Clockwork Orange", but it should be coming in the mail from Netflix in the next few weeks. But I assume you're referring to the raping?
edit on 9-1-2011 by DontLegalizeDecriminalize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DontLegalizeDecriminalize

Actually my girlfriend used to hit me when I drank and it was pretty effective (lol). And, free!

I was referring to the Litiviko treatment where they subjected him to violent videos while under a drug that caused pain and terrible feelings. They even kept his eyes open with "lid locks". This was a new way of conditioning criminals. Sorry to give a bit away, but it won't ruin the movie for you...certainly one you can watch over and over.

My point is that a purely Pavlovian type of medical treatment won't work. And if the person is alcoholic and can't stop drinking, giving them a drug that causes an adverse reaction that may be as severe as death is not moral and ethical.
edit on 9-1-2011 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
"My point is that a purely Pavlovian type of medical treatment won't work"

Then why did you say this?

"Actually my girlfriend used to hit me when I drank and it was pretty effective (lol). And, free!"

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I'm not sure if you are aldehyde dehydrogenase deficient. Many asians are and get "Asian flush" when they drink...face gets red and hearts beats fast after a few drinks due to a deficiency of ad. The problem with the treatment is that you are left with un-metabolized aldehydes in your system...not good. This is the "hangover", side effects and can lead to chronic fatigue syndrome.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DontLegalizeDecriminalize

She's not my girlfriend anymore. It didn't work.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I am all for a preventative treatment for those who have a problem with drink which makes them a danger to other people, or themselves through drunkeness. However, if there is any chance, ANY chance at all that this would end up, in any nation , being used to FORCE people who just like a beer to stop drinking, then there will be trouble.

I very much doubt this will happen. What makes you think that pople will be forced to be vaccinated just because they like a beer from time to time?

I believe its every mans right to destroy himself, as long as its only themselves they are destroying, I dont have a problem. Its thier choice, and no one, no government and no scientist has any right to change that.

Never happens. There's ALWAYS someone picking up the pieces of someone else's selfish actions. Alcoholism is an immensely destructive and selfish act. I am strongly in favour of alcoholics being vaccinated.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontLegalizeDecriminalizeI've got a vaccine for you, it's green, sticky, and grows in the ground.

And that's exactly why that vaccine is illegal. We all know the conspiracy. Alcohol sales plummet due to yada yada yada...

I'm of the the super-hangover variety person like the OP. From what I understand it's what happens to people that almost never consume alcohol, and since I rarely imbibe in anything, that explanation seems reasonable. I had a single Sam Adams on a Friday in November and it hurt my Saturday a bit. And last summer I had four beers and WHAM, I didn't have a "tomorrow" at all. I just had a sick, headachey blur.

On the other hand, no matter how infrequently DLD's vaccine is used, it never causes a hangover even if consumed in tremendous quantities.

As for OP's vaccine, I think it should be the mandatory sentence for a second DWI, or the first DWI if any other traffic infraction occurred in tandem with the DWI

top topics

join