It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75 Percent Income Tax Hike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75 Percent Income Tax Hike

chicago.cbslocal.com

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (CBS) – Gov. Pat Quinn and the leaders of both houses of the Illinois General Assembly have agreed on raising the state income tax.

If the bill passes, the plan would raise the personal income tax rate from the current 3 percent to 5.25 percent. That’s a 75 percent increase. In real dollars, that would mean if you currently owe $1,000 in taxes, next year you would owe $1,750.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
LOL. This is great. No plan to cut spending, no plan to even decrease future spending. So, pray tell, how will these politicians ever be able to reduce the tax rate in 4 years as the bill currently proposes? The huge increase will become the "new normal". 4 years from now, when the time comes to reduce the taxes to current levels what will happen? Come on, you know. It will be called a "tax cut for the rich" and people wanting to hold politicians to their word will be demonized.
Even if they wanted to reduce the taxes in 4 years, without a reduction in spending how will they be able to do so? It doesn't take a genius to see the future here.

chicago.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This is where the failed logic by politicians always come in. The mindset is we can spend our way out of the problem. If revenues are down across the board, what moron raises taxes? Logic would tell these people that if tax revenue is down, so are wages and cash flow of the people.

As painful as it would be, we need to cut budgets across the board. I think Gov. Christie got it right in his state. Everyone screamed when he went on a budget cutting spree, saying the people would be hurt, government operations would be hurt. So far, those doom prophecies have been baseles.

The other thing would be to establish a budget that is feasible based on generated income / revenu. I beleive that is Government can get it under control and account for expenditures, cut costs and streamline, that at some point residents would not mind paying higher taxes at some point, since they know where its being spent, hows its spent, and why its needed.

The days of tax and spend it anyway the government wants is comeing to an end.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Greedy Cork Suckers!!!!
Here's a suggestion: Don't do your taxes!!!

You only "THINK" there is a law.
edit on 8-1-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Yeah thats another area that pisses me off. People who dont pay their taxes are arrested, charged, find/convicted and sent to jail (wesley snipes) yet members of Congress can do the exact same thing and all they get is talked down to by former Reichs Chancellor Pelosi.

Tax revolts have occured, and have been successful, so thats not completely out of the window...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Being that I live in Illinois, and that my husband is basically self-employed (he's a subcontractor and files 1099), he went irate after hearing this on the news this morning. Doing his taxes is a hassle already, not to mention all the other crap that goes into filing 1099. Bad morning to say the least. Especially after seeing the $1 Illinois tax hike on cigarettes (which he needs to quit anyway). But seeing the income tax news certainly made him feel the need for a cigarette.

And the world turns...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Tax revolts have occured, and have been successful, so thats not completely out of the window...

We need to get one organized.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by Xcathdra

We need to get one organized.

Without being specific or to the point. I have been "revolting" for 10 years.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Yeah, that is part of the problem. Due to surveillance, we cannot get as specific as we need to be.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Maybe you guys in IL ought to move down here to Florida; we don't have a state income tax here. Or try to get that lousy democrat governor tossed out. A 75% tax increase is outrageous! If he keeps that up, there's going to be a "grassy knoll" somewhere soon in his future, I predict.

And just think, that's the same bunch that gave us BHO and his merry band of idiots.
edit on 8-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Added

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

So where in Florida is good?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
At least with state taxes a significantly higher percentage of the taxes collected get put to good use, whereas with federal taxation almost all of it goes to (a)pay interest for the national debt, (b)black budget military projects and (c)federal employees. Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid are not doing so great as a result of funds being constantly diverted to the above three!

At some point we all need to find out what the hell is going on but with so much unnecessary secrecy we can only speculate on distorted data. End private central banking and almost all of our problems disappear overnight and a bright future will most definitely ensue, but all politicians are bought and paid for by the irs/federal reserve corporate bankers in europe so asking them to turn their back on their masters is a bit too wishful me thinks.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Florida is just too humid for me (my allergies, and my hair) or I would.

This would just be horrible for those that don't make much money as it is, and who already struggle to keep up with income taxes. Especially if you are a person who sends in quarterlies. It's a nice smack in the face from Illinois.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Here's what's going to happen. Illinois will lose a percentage of their tax-base when people start leaving the state. When this happens, there will be another increase for the people that's left. When the people that's left try to leave, legislation may pass an "Interstate Relocation Fee" and if you don't pay, you don't leave.

Sound impossible? Many things are happening in todays government that sounded 'impossible' 10 or 20 years ago. If things don't turn around, I foresee applications for permits to switch jobs and applications to even go on a vacation with your family.

This is what the government wants for us. To "keep us safe" by keeping track of us and taxing us to death so their efforts to "keep us safe" can be enforced.

If this bill passes, it will only show the nation the weakness of the people of Illinois to control their elected officials and there will be a "Domino effect," I can guarantee this.

edit on 8/1/11 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Why do people still live in that state anyway?

I say vote with your feet people. If your government doesn't represent you anymore, leave the state and let the morons who actually voted for those douchebags stay and live under their suicidal policies.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
why dont you cal the govement what it is?
they are gangsters, the mob.

have a good look at what the mob does
and the goverment.
protection money.
they rob you blind.
they sell you drugs. the have a big hand in drugs.
and what else? you tell us.

remember the time that it started.
1900 they had grabed as much land as they could.
if land had gold they took it.
killed a lot of people.
so this was the next step.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I personally want to move out of Illinois when we can afford it. Though it would be hard to leave family and my mom behind. I'm born and raised here but I've traveled and would ideally want to live somewhere more scenic. Corn is nice and all, until you realize that's all there is (slight sarcasm, I'm a photographer).

A lot of people stay here I think because of Chicago and the job prospects there for certain industries, and we have some good universities (though they are hardly affordable anymore) for certain careers in the science/social science/medical areas, and the arts. It used to be a good place for contractors and subcontractors before the financial crisis happened.

Unfortunately, almost all the contractors I know (carpenters, plumbers, etc) have been forced to basically give up their trade and take on another totally unrelated job (like truck driving, for instance) just to support their families. Luckily my husband's still getting by on his subcontracting job right now. I feel bad for those who haven't been able to do the same...after spending their whole lives learning a trade, now no one can afford to hire them.

The Chicago politics is the problem, the spending has long been out of control. The last (infamous) governor even cut all funding and closed down many of our most beautiful state parks and wildlife areas just to save some money. Luckily the new governor reopened them all. But a tax hike like this isn't going to solve the real problems. I don't think it will go through though, hopefully. I'd rather them jack cigarettes up another $1 or even more, than raise income taxes 75%. There's gotta be a better way.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

It might be easier to just move to an area that doesn't have ridiculous income taxes.

Do you really want to tempt the IRS?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I live in the state of Illinois. If i could move out now, I would. Governor Quinn is playing chicken with Amazon...or the other way around.

(Not sure of the date of this article)

Yesterday, Illinois passed the so called “Amazon tax,” a measure to collect sales tax on online commerce. If signed by Gov. Pat Quinn, the plan would require online retailers, such as Amazon.com and Overstock.com, to collect a 6.25 percent sales tax.

So Amazon is fighting back at Illinois with a threat. Amazon has emailed its commissioned affiliates the following message:

We regret to inform you that the Illinois state legislature has passed an unconstitutional tax collection scheme that, if signed by Governor Quinn, would leave Amazon.com little choice but to end its relationships with Illinois-based Associates.

mindyourdecisions.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

Wow! Good for Amazon! More retailers, both on and offline need to stand up.

top topics

join